Question regarding the Windsheld defrost

Kurlon

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4XE Rubicon, maybe?
buy a set of the black plugs off ebay, fixed my problem.
If that's the only solution for a 2019 vehicle, if it irritates me enough and Jeep doesn't have a proper fix, it's not staying in my driveway.
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S (Gladys) - 89' Civic SI
If that's the only solution for a 2019 vehicle, if it irritates me enough and Jeep doesn't have a proper fix, it's not staying in my driveway.
sounds like you'll be selling it then, even the 2020 Gladiators have the same factory flaw.

another option is to take a piece of aluminum flat and drill holes in it, zip tie that to the defrost vent.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
sounds like you'll be selling it then, even the 2020 Gladiators have the same factory flaw.

another option is to take a piece of aluminum flat and drill holes in it, zip tie that to the defrost vent.
That’ll look even better.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
post #320 of this thread. Looks really nice actually, and i've had several of my plugs fly out at high fan speed. i'll make one of these someday, but i've got other projects right now.
af1c2ff7-11a1-486a-bae5-817fadee28a4-jpeg.jpg

Question regarding the Windsheld defrost
and diagram of their shitty design. They won't be doing a recall on this. Same design on the JL and JT, maybe you'll get luckly with the JM model a few years from now?
i2377734-jpeg.jpg

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got around to fixing my front defroster vent. Used 3/4” aluminum bar, drilled holes for each vent the size of the head of a mini zip tie, covered with black PlastiDip (trying to match the dash). Mini-zip tied on each side to existing vents, hoping that in case of an accident, the bar doesn’t go flying around. I embedded each zip tie head into a drilled hole to make it less visible/noticeable. I now have much more uniform air distribution.

76C7F757-72F1-40D8-A55C-108A18816AEC.jpeg

AF1C2FF7-11A1-486A-BAE5-817FADEE28A4.jpeg
Brilliant. Bookmarked, got to do this in January.

Sponsored

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
You mean to tell me that FCA cannot design an HVAC windshield defroster for a $50K Wrangler that effectively removes ice, snow and mist for what must be considered one of the smallest windshields installed on a regular production vehicle which results in owners having to create their own workaround?? Sad. Maybe they will wise up once the 2021 BRONCO is produced and available for purchase.

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
O FCA, where art thou brain?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You mean to tell me that FCA cannot design an HVAC windshield defroster for a $50K Wrangler that effectively removes ice, snow and mist for what must be considered one of the smallest windshields installed on a regular production vehicle which results in owners having to create their own workaround?? Sad. Maybe they will wise up once the 2021 BRONCO is produced and available for purchase.
They CAN design it to work, but they didn't for some dumb reason.

I hope you're right that they wise up.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
i haven't seen that before, but i was thinking last week "Why doesn't anybody make wiper warmers." looks like this place does!
Lincoln just debuted heated wiper blades and they claim that it is an industry first on a regular production vehicle however I question that statement. Mercedes has had heated wiper blades and heated wiper fluid for years. I be;ieve they call it magic wipe.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Heated wiper blades are pretty common. I was suggesting something that's just a small strip of the same electric resistance/wire defroster found on back glass. Not tall enough to be distracting

Kurlon

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4XE Rubicon, maybe?
Heated wiper blades are pretty common. I was suggesting something that's just a small strip of the same electric resistance/wire defroster found on back glass. Not tall enough to be distracting
My last two vehicles, a 2000 Subaru Forester and 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid both had this, and it worked quite well. Appears Jeep offered it on Cherokees at one point recently as well so it's not a new concept to them.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
NHTSA filing

"Our high defrost setting only works on the center 12" of our jeep windshield. The 1/3 on both sides, driver side and passenger side are getting zero defrosting air. My brothers 2019 and hundreds of other 2018 and 2019 jeeps also have this problem according to blogs. The dealership stated that our defrost is working the same as other new jeeps on the lot and refused to acknowledge the dangerous design flaw. I have installed duct tape on the center portion of the defrost vent to redirect the air to the drivers and passengers side windshield. I plan to make a patial perminant block from plastic and install it today. We live in the Rocky Mountains and this jeep would be undrivable in the winter without defrost air flow aftermarket redirection. Zero defrost air hits the driver and passenger side without the aftermarket fix. Jeep owners are in real danger if their windsheild fogs up. We turned on our defrost to high heat and airflow to remove ice from an ice storm a few days ago. Only the center 12-14" were melted. "

Below is the dealer excuse.

IMG_0537 copy.jpg
So are you going to make this in plastic and sell to us.... sounds like a business startup...
Sponsored