Purchasing a New JK vs. a JL?

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
With all the problems which I've been reading here on this forum about the JL, would I be better of purchasing a new 2018 JK vs. the JL?

Thanks
No offense to the jk owners, but I personally have seen it as a giant blemish on jeeps reputation. Having owned a lj and now a jl, been Jeeping many years around jks and all other jeeps I can say confidently that the jk in comparison to any other jeep has been lack luster.
The jl is lightyears better in every aspect over the jk.
If it were not for the fact that they are using a spruced up version of the v6 found in the jks I would say its COMPLETELY redone.
Every jk I've seen (not to mention the complaints I've heard from mechanics and owners) has this horrible lean to one side.
I've always thought the jk had no style or personality from the outside.
I love my jl and have never once considered buying a jk for many reasons, however I venture to guess that jk owners will likely disagree and find my opinions biased or w/e...
Go drive one for yourself, then drive a jk. The pros will be one sided.... get the jl.

E J & G

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2.0 Turbo & 2015 Winnebago Vista 26HE
Odd that no one has brought up the 2.0 turbo with more TORQUE AND more HP at the lower RPM

We love the drivability AND better MPG

TATER1971

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willy's Wheeler JK in Rhino
With all the problems which I've been reading here on this forum about the JL, would I be better of purchasing a new 2018 JK vs. the JL?

Thanks
Like everyone else I will lob my 2 cents in. I thought about trading in my 2016 JK for a JL...but after hearing about all the steering issues and the welding issues, I decided against it and modified my JK. I understand you would want a JL being new and all. Who doesn't! I just am not going to compromise safety. So ...I guess if I had a short answer for you....buy the JL......a new one....but in a couple years time when they have got the bugs out of them.

OP
OP
GoHack

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
2016 TJ? Huh?

Agree with the rest. Simpler is better. But, recognize we are the minority.....and the OEM services the majority. Which means people like us will likely need to buy older vehicles and build them to suit our needs/tastes; which also means you better be mechanically inclined or very wealthy.
I meant 2006, not 2016. Sorry for the typo.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GoHack

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase

BR_Jeep

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Well I haven’t seen many people comment on this so I guess I’ll throw it out there. I have a 2018 JL 6-Speed manual and although the new Trans is much improved from the JK, don’t do it. Go with the Auto 8 Speed. I’ve had nothing but issues with mine since only 2 weeks after purchase. It’s been repaired once already having Jeep say it was a flywheel issue but even after repairing it once and being at the dealership for 2 months I got it back only to have the same issues again. It now has to go back in again for the same issues and I had the pleasant suprise to find out that the warranty doesn’t cover clutch components at all regardless of the mileage. So basically I have a new Jeep with less than 4K miles and is going in for the second repair and now I am stuck with the bill.

RI Music Guy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6-spd manual
Occupation
Daddy/Pipe Organ Tech/Musician
Other than the open recall on the track bar weld issue (which I've yet to have inspected), I've had no issues with my JL. Well, I don't wanna stop driving it, but other than that.... :like:

OP
OP
GoHack

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
Well I haven’t seen many people comment on this so I guess I’ll throw it out there. I have a 2018 JL 6-Speed manual and although the new Trans is much improved from the JK, don’t do it. Go with the Auto 8 Speed. I’ve had nothing but issues with mine since only 2 weeks after purchase. It’s been repaired once already having Jeep say it was a flywheel issue but even after repairing it once and being at the dealership for 2 months I got it back only to have the same issues again. It now has to go back in again for the same issues and I had the pleasant suprise to find out that the warranty doesn’t cover clutch components at all regardless of the mileage. So basically I have a new Jeep with less than 4K miles and is going in for the second repair and now I am stuck with the bill.
What's the issue w/your flywheel?

What's the date of manufacture of your JL?

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoHack

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it's now official, I now own a 2018 Sting-Gray Jeep Sport Unlimited (JL).

I first looked at one which was Fire Cracker Red, which I put a deposit on, but since then, the dealer got a Sting-Gray one it, w/the same options which I wanted.

It's an Unlimited Sport, w/the V6 engine, and the 6 Speed M/T, w/the following options:
Customer Preferred Package 23B
Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group
Anti–Spin Differential Rear Axle w/the 3.45 gearing
Black Freedom Top 3–Piece Hard Top
SiriusXM Sat Radio

Now I've got to get use to using both manual windows and locks again. ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL Purchasing a New JK vs. a JL? {filename}

Last edited:

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I've had mine since May and it's great. Even made a video if you want to see a walkthrough:)
Dammit, Steve... now I can't get that house band banjo tune out of my head. Curiosity killed this cat... ;)

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
Dammit, Steve... now I can't get that house band banjo tune out of my head. Curiosity killed this cat... ;)
But the finishing tune gets you pumped up :)

2500 hd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR.
The jl is allot nicer than the jk on the inside. If you're thinking automatic the jk transmission doesn't compare to the jl 8 speed. I specifically bought mine because of the 8 speed
I agree 100% I traded a 16 JK automatic for a 18 JL automatic and I love it....

2500 hd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR.
JL ALL DAY every day. I have owned the JK 2 times and now own the JL 2 at the same time. And had 3 Jeeps all at the same time up until this July Summer. Sold my JK since the JL’s truly ruined the JK. The JL is just so damn nicer than the JK. Better Tranny, Interior. looks, Ride, Power (8 speed Tranny) makes her more fun to drive, factory bumpers allow you to do modifications. No lift for 35s read that again NO LIFT for 35s, quieter ride, easier soft top, factory switches for add on accessories, rear Air Conditining and heating vents for the back seat, better fuel mileage....etc Ok that’s all and yeah get the BIG discount on the JK but if you second guess yourself and trade up to the JL later down the road then the BIG discount will be a BIG Loss.
And here’s my JK which I sold:

And here’s my JL’s

Didn’t have to get rid of my JK but the fun factor just wasn’t there anymore.
You Sir; are doing it right !!

bamchenry

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, '18 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
What's the issue w/your flywheel?

What's the date of manufacture of your JL?

Thanks
I've got two 8-speed autos and neither has been anything but smooth sailing.
Sponsored