Purchasing a wrangler JL

new2wrangler

First Name
douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looking to buy
I’m looking for a 2018 or 2019 Wrangler JL but when I go on various dealer websites they usually state Wrangler Unlimited with no designation of JL or Jk. When I call the dealer I get the run around and they’re clueless. Does Unlimited mean JL? Any suggestions?
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Well, 2019 JK's don't exist, so that would be a start. Another way to tell is by looking at the pictures, or if not available, the specifications.

Unlimited just means 4 door, unless you are looking at the old LJ, which is just a stretched 2door TJ.

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
I’m looking for a 2018 or 2019 Wrangler JL but when I go on various dealer websites they usually state Wrangler Unlimited with no designation of JL or Jk. When I call the dealer I get the run around and they’re clueless. Does Unlimited mean JL? Any suggestions?
My video will show you a JLUR. Enjoy.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
If there is photos on the dealerships site if you look at either side of the Jeep, if there are side vents it is a JL (2dr)/JLU (4dr). That’s probably the easiest way to tell.

The JK’s nor any other model wrangler have this.

Hope this helps you!

266ABFF5-931D-4F7B-B700-E9E5E68D1754.jpeg

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
There's a way you can guarantee a JL and save money. Do a factory order. They're simple not available for the JK any more.

The only question is if you're willing to wait about 2 months or so for delivery. If you are it's a no brainer and there are tons of articles on this on the forum.

Indicate if you wish to be taken in that direction.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
@new2wrangler … Instead of a dealer website, have you tried to build on Jeep's website (considering you're willing to wait)? Cuts out all the dealer nonsense... when it comes to the JL, many of us found out they're fairly clueless. All the knowledge is here in the forums, along with eleventy billion different opinions on choosing JK vs JL.

https://www.jeep.com/wrangler.html

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I would recommend you use the Jeep.com website to locate the one that you want and go check it out.

You can configure a Wrangler the way you want it and see what dealers have that exact model in stock. You can put in Zip codes from different areas or states and see what is available. For me, I required 4 of the equipment groups that are available but due to limited availability I ended up with a few more groups that I didn't necessarily "need". Those extras are totally worth it now that I have them but when shopping I had a minimum list of options that I wanted and was happy to get them (cold weather, trailer tow, LED Lighting, Electronic Infotainment). The Leather seats, active safety, steel bumper, and proximity key-less entry were all optional to me. I ended up getting them all but could have saved a few bucks being flexible.

There are many people that will tell you to order one but depending on your situation you may be able to find one with exactly what you would of ordered anyhow. One of the issues you need to confirm is that every package or option is available when ordering. At the time I was shopping around you could not order the LED lighting group or the 24R package.

What was mentioned above is to use the window sticker site... which is super valuable. Once you learn the packages that are available, you can look up any VIN and see what that specific unit has. You will most likely memorize how the Jeep Wrangler options look on the monroney and will be able to determine what Jeep has what options rather quickly.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Filter by 8sp transmission if you want an auto and that rules out JK.

Features filter for my loca dealer ...

86D38485-545C-45AC-82A6-73185A682769.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

new2wrangler

First Name
douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looking to buy
@new2wrangler … Instead of a dealer website, have you tried to build on Jeep's website (considering you're willing to wait)? Cuts out all the dealer nonsense... when it comes to the JL, many of us found out they're fairly clueless. All the knowledge is here in the forums, along with eleventy billion different opinions on choosing JK vs JL.

https://www.jeep.com/wrangler.html
I tried that. I filled out a ‘build’, clicked ‘get a quote’ and 15 minutes later the local dealer called me up. They said they didn’t have any of my info that I just spent a half hour inputting and just wanted me to come in for a test drive. I wasn’t going to play that game and then discovered this forum.
I’m going to follow the suggestions given n some of these replies, including the recommended dealer list. Thanks for everyone’s help

OP
OP

new2wrangler

First Name
douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looking to buy
If there is photos on the dealerships site if you look at either side of the Jeep, if there are side vents it is a JL (2dr)/JLU (4dr). That’s probably the easiest way to tell.

The JK’s nor any other model wrangler have this.

Hope this helps you!

266ABFF5-931D-4F7B-B700-E9E5E68D1754.jpeg
Yes that was a great tip. So simple. The sales people at dealers have been clueless but now I can just look at pics and see for myself. Thanks

OP
OP

new2wrangler

First Name
douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looking to buy
There's a way you can guarantee a JL and save money. Do a factory order. They're simple not available for the JK any more.

The only question is if you're willing to wait about 2 months or so for delivery. If you are it's a no brainer and there are tons of articles on this on the forum.

Indicate if you wish to be taken in that direction.
I’m going to try to find an existing one but if that fails, I’ll order one. I’m not in a big hurry. I was also thinking I might get a better deal on a 2018 since the 2019 will be coming in but that just might be wishful thinking

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Yes that was a great tip. So simple. The sales people at dealers have been clueless but now I can just look at pics and see for myself. Thanks
Side view the difference is the vents as you have been shown. Front view look at fenders. JL has lights there, and no Jeep lettering on grill. Rear view taillights are different.
Sponsored