atagher

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Hey all,

I'm looking at purchasing a used Wrangler and have taken a look at a couple cars in the past few days. Today I came across a 2013 Sahara with ~55K miles... one owner, no accidents, has lived its life in New England.

I took a look at the underside and have the attached pictures to share. I know that rust is an issue with these cars and ultimately I'm looking for something that I can make last a number of years. I'm not too experienced with rust/rot issues and was curious to hear some feedback around whether or not this looks typical for something 6 years old from NE? What do you all think? Any advice?

Thanks,
Andrew

IMG_20190612_181927.jpg

IMG_20190612_181839.jpg

IMG_20190612_181924.jpg

IMG_20190612_181854.jpg

IMG_20190612_181817.jpg
Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
That does look like a lot of rust. My 2008 I sold last year didn’t have near that much. That rear shock mount is nasty! Makes me wonder about areas you can’t see.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, I’d stay away. That’s like 25 year old jeep rust, not six. Aim higher!

Sponsored

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
This is a pretty easy deal to pass up. Looks like this one waded through some flood waters at some point. Maybe Hurricane Sandy?

Jeepinjack66

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT
I live in RI and my Jeep has hardly any rust underneath.. most likely because I run it through the car wash often during the winter to get the under body washed. That really makes a difference considering how much our roads are treated for the winter. I noticed you are from Boston. I'm blaming the winters on this one. Person probably didn't take care of all that salt during the years. Looks scary.

Dennis Castro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Sahara
its honestly not thattt bad, but with soo many jeeps on the road, id find another one. i live in the northeast, and never buy used cars from here. if you plan to keep it awhile, buy one from further south, or out west. get a rust free one, and get a good undercoat (i use krown, and its a very good product) immediately when you get the jeep home. rust / corrosion also plays a huge role down the road on parts / bodywork that isnt visible yet. it may look fine now, but its life is already greatly diminished by living its first 6 years in new England. buy a rust free one from a dry state, undercoat, and rinse it underneath frequently.

Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I'd walk away. It looks like someone parked that one the the ocean.

OP
OP

atagher

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4
Good advice all and thank you.. back on the hunt.

Purchasing from the South is something I've definitely considered .. I guess process would be to travel down there to take a look at a handful of them. A lot of $$ for the trip but probably worth it for the right car.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Good advice all and thank you.. back on the hunt.

Purchasing from the South is something I've definitely considered .. I guess process would be to travel down there to take a look at a handful of them. A lot of $$ for the trip but probably worth it for the right car.
Good idea, check down below the Mason-Dixon line. But, it would still be a good idea to have the dealer send you some pics of the undercarriage just to make sure. Good luck on your search.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Run away! Any vehicle in the upper states that have not been undercoated from day 1 you should stay away from. It'ts not just body rust, it's brake lines, fuel lines and everything you have to worry about.... Can get really expensive!

Jeepinjack66

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT
I have a 6 yo Wrangler from RI underneath looks nothing like that because I take care of it. You can buy from upper states if the vehicle is cared for. Keep looking
Sponsored