Purchasing Used Wrangler - Rust Question

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
I have a 6 yo Wrangler from RI underneath looks nothing like that because I take care of it. You can buy from upper states if the vehicle is cared for. Keep looking
What do you do to take care of the undercarriage against rust?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Good advice all and thank you.. back on the hunt.

Purchasing from the South is something I've definitely considered .. I guess process would be to travel down there to take a look at a handful of them. A lot of $$ for the trip but probably worth it for the right car.
There's good vehicles in the NE and Midwest. It just depends on how they were taken care of. Rust prevention goes a long way. :like:

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
A 10 year old vehicle in the Rust Belt will be rotted out, unless treated before rust gets a toehold. I have mine" Rust Cop" treated every Spring ( Google Carwell products ) and I use
"Salt-Away" to flush out salt residue from every crevice after the Salt Season.
Fingers crossed, the road treatments up here are really corrosive...
Second the idea of heading South for a rust free used vehicle

Sponsored

Bri01

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU MOAB, BMW X5 MSport
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,

I'm looking at purchasing a used Wrangler and have taken a look at a couple cars in the past few days. Today I came across a 2013 Sahara with ~55K miles... one owner, no accidents, has lived its life in New England.

I took a look at the underside and have the attached pictures to share. I know that rust is an issue with these cars and ultimately I'm looking for something that I can make last a number of years. I'm not too experienced with rust/rot issues and was curious to hear some feedback around whether or not this looks typical for something 6 years old from NE? What do you all think? Any advice?

Thanks,
Andrew

IMG_20190612_181927.jpg

IMG_20190612_181839.jpg

IMG_20190612_181924.jpg

IMG_20190612_181854.jpg

IMG_20190612_181817.jpg
Yikes. That is a lot of rust. I live in the Northeast and deal with bad weather, but when I gave up my last Jeep (8 year old); it did NOT have that much rust, not even a fraction of that amount. Even the shock has rust. RUN!

Jeepinjack66

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT
What do you do to take care of the undercarriage against rust?
I get a monthly pass during winter months for the car wash that includes washing the undercarriage. Had my Jeep looked at for rust a month ago and they were pleased with how clean it was and minimal rust. Made me happy I tell ya lol

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I had an F150 that rusted like that after the same time period (6 yrs). No good explanation since I babied it from new. Once the surface rust turns into large flakes, it's problem. Pass on it. Lots of other Sahara's out there. The roads are nasty here as you know. The state and towns use brine, which will seep into every crevice of your vehicle. When you do nail down a clean Jeep, get it undercoated. I'm using Fluid Film. Lots of info and options on these forums.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My old 2008 JKUR spent a lot of time on the beach and my undercarriage didn't even come close to being that bad.

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6
That does look like a lot of rust. My 2008 I sold last year didn’t have near that much. That rear shock mount is nasty! Makes me wonder about areas you can’t see.
What product do you use to prevent rust under jeep and frames?

:jk: :flag: :like:
Sponsored