Sponsored

Rear Locker Light After Purchasing Used 2020 Unlimited Rubicon?

Culper

First Name
Culper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Ultd. Rubicon (Granite)
I've finally purchased my first Wrangler--very excited. I found a 2020 used from a Florida dealer with ~12K miles and they stated it was still under warranty for a year. En route back home, the rear locking light came on in 2H going 70 mph most of the way. Now the light comes on anywhere from starting it up, or a mile or so from my house as a solid light. I attempted to put it into 4L and unlock it. It doesn;t work, it just goes off sometimes and comes right back on, or it flahes.

I took it directly to my local Jeep dealer when I got home, per instruction of the dealership I purchased from, and they seemed pretty agitated with me bringing it in and talking about the issue. I have a diagnostic appointment in a few days. The man running the shop seemed overly upset. IDK why. I checked out some threads here and it seems like the JL is having a known problem with this with the sensor going out and many owners have reported the entire rear axel being replaced to resolve the issue. I have one year left on the manufacturer warranty; obviously this is an ongoing issue with this model.

After calling Jeep, they said they have nothing down for this as an issue/recall, though many here are reporting it? I'm hoping they will replace what needs replacing and was wondering if there are any official letters or memos members here anyone has gotten when talking with the warranty department I can share with the dealership I hoped to have it fixed at. After the cold shoulder I received from the dealership, I'm afraid they will try and point blame to something else that the warranty will not cover (though it could be me being paranoid). The only modification to my Jeep, as far as I know, is a heavy-duty bumper with a wench. Does that void warranty?

Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
Sponsored

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Bumper has nothing to do with the lockers so donā€™t let them use that as an excuse. They should take care of it for you. You remind me reading on here about putty or something related to lockers.

timannnn6

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
One thing to check, rear plug on diff plugged in. It's on right side of pumpkin. If it's fully plugged in then you probably have the faulty electric locker. Fluid seeps into the locker module and shorts out. Most will pot the module before this happens. Sorry your dealer is giving you hassle for a known issue. @JeepCares

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've finally purchased my first Wrangler--very excited. I found a 2020 used from a Florida dealer with ~12K miles and they stated it was still under warranty for a year. En route back home, the rear locking light came on in 2H going 70 mph most of the way. Now the light comes on anywhere from starting it up, or a mile or so from my house as a solid light. I attempted to put it into 4L and unlock it. It doesn;t work, it just goes off sometimes and comes right back on, or it flahes.

I took it directly to my local Jeep dealer when I got home, per instruction of the dealership I purchased from, and they seemed pretty agitated with me bringing it in and talking about the issue. I have a diagnostic appointment in a few days. The man running the shop seemed overly upset. IDK why. I checked out some threads here and it seems like the JL is having a known problem with this with the sensor going out and many owners have reported the entire rear axel being replaced to resolve the issue. I have one year left on the manufacturer warranty; obviously this is an ongoing issue with this model.

After calling Jeep, they said they have nothing down for this as an issue/recall, though many here are reporting it? I'm hoping they will replace what needs replacing and was wondering if there are any official letters or memos members here anyone has gotten when talking with the warranty department I can share with the dealership I hoped to have it fixed at. After the cold shoulder I received from the dealership, I'm afraid they will try and point blame to something else that the warranty will not cover (though it could be me being paranoid). The only modification to my Jeep, as far as I know, is a heavy-duty bumper with a wench. Does that void warranty?

Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
If you canā€™t get anywhere with the dealership and if it is the module , and if you want to keep the Jeep despite all this then this will fix it.......

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear Locker Light After Purchasing Used 2020 Unlimited Rubicon? 1194DC78-B456-46A6-82E6-FC605F0C22D9

Sponsored

OP
OP
Culper

Culper

First Name
Culper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I hope I will get this resolved and it's nice to see other options.
It does have one year left on the factory warranty...and I think the powertrain may cover this too despite a factory. I'll keep this thread updated as I go through this process to help anyone that may have a similar issue in the future.
Thanks again.

OP
OP
Culper

Culper

First Name
Culper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The diagnostic went well today. The dealership is ordering the entire rear axel. No ETA since they are on backorder...but at least they are recognizing it as being covered under warranty. It's possible the head guy was just having a bad day, came off wrong, but it's getting done. All that matters. Again, thanks, everyone, for the support.

jplusk

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
The diagnostic went well today. The dealership is ordering the entire rear axel. No ETA since they are on backorder...but at least they are recognizing it as being covered under warranty. It's possible the head guy was just having a bad day, came off wrong, but it's getting done. All that matters. Again, thanks, everyone, for the support.
I went through this with my ā€˜20 JLUR a year ago. You did the right thing making FCA fix. Itā€™s a shame they havenā€™t figured out how to just replace the sensor yet. Hopefully they do as the factory warranty is going to start ending for many and replacing an entire axle wonā€™t be feasible.

OP
OP
Culper

Culper

First Name
Culper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went through this with my ā€˜20 JLUR a year ago. You did the right thing making FCA fix. Itā€™s a shame they havenā€™t figured out how to just replace the sensor yet. Hopefully they do as the factory warranty is going to start ending for many and replacing an entire axle wonā€™t be feasible.
Yeah, it's crazy. Glad they are on top of it though. You'd think they'd have come up with a better solution to this, as the method they have to resort to now, is just $$$, and as you said, a simple chip revision and ability to replace them would be worth it in the end. I've heard somewhere the powertrain also covers this? But I'm not entirely certain...but that's at least 5 years/100K.
Sponsored