Help Purchasing My First Wrangler

Newbie718

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hello, I need help purchasing my first Jeep wrangler, I want to purchase the 2020 rubicon and would like to lease it with the option to buy at the end ( yes I know it’ll cost me more). I just want to make sure I like it enough to buy buy, it’s my first wrangler. And yes rubicon I Figured go for the big one haha
My question is how do I approach this, do I negotiate the best price first and then tell the dealership I want to lease it? I read on the forum that dealerships are offering anywhere between 5% to 8% below invoice with the 1% off for the tread lightly membership. I live in New York and of course I would like to purchase local but I’m not opposed to going out of state for the best price
Any advice on where I could get the best deal and how to start the process would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, I need help purchasing my first Jeep wrangler, I want to purchase the 2020 rubicon and would like to lease it with the option to buy at the end ( yes I know it’ll cost me more). I just want to make sure I like it enough to buy buy, it’s my first wrangler. And yes rubicon I Figured go for the big one haha
My question is how do I approach this, do I negotiate the best price first and then tell the dealership I want to lease it? I read on the forum that dealerships are offering anywhere between 5% to 8% below invoice with the 1% off for the tread lightly membership. I live in New York and of course I would like to purchase local but I’m not opposed to going out of state for the best price
Any advice on where I could get the best deal and how to start the process would be greatly appreciated
Hey there neighbor!

Not sure about leasing, i bought one that I factory ordered, but the best deal I could find on long island was 1% below sticker. I acted interested and test drove several different wranglers in a row. Did that at every dealer from queens border to the hamptons. Without any haggling whatsoever, i got about 7% below invoice without tread lightly at Suresky Motors in Goshen, NY. Also got a trade-in amount that I was happy with, and New York only taxes on the balance of the new vehicle after the trade-in value is deducted. That just ups the savings right there. The other dealer which was my backup is Fitzpatrick Motors in Ansonia, CT. Just mention this forum and both of those dealers should treat you right.

Best of luck and welcome to the fold!

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You are smart going with the Rubicon. Forget leasing, if you've ever played with a toy car as a child, you will instantly fall in love with your JL. Less painful to option it up from the start then to try and upgrade it after

dj3513

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Unlimited / Granite Crystal Metallic / Sky One–Touch Power Top
If you do lease, negotiate the best possible price as if you were going to buy. Take any trade in's into factor too. Keep in mind you only pay for the price of the vehicle for the lease period hence negotiate the best possible price. Welcome to the forum.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This is the sequence in which a vehicle purchase should normally proceed:
  1. Research online reviews, check out factory rebates, market prices, test drive and kick some tires.
  2. Decide on the exact vehicle you want —down to the trim, acceptable color(s) and equipment
  3. Negotiate and agree on a price. Bring up trade-in if applicable
  4. Discuss financing terms —i.e., financing, leasing, cash, etc.
These days dealers love to focus on “monthly payments” early on in the shopping process to minimize sticker shock. However, avoid giving out any monthly payments until you have done 1 through 3 above.

Also, leasing has lots of moving parts: capital reduction —i.e. cash down; miles driven per year, number of months, etc. Some dealers are going to quote you a lease payment that looks lower by extending the number of months, allowing 10,000 miles/year, and requiring a sizable down payment. Do your homework before sitting down with the dealer. His goal is to maximize his profit, not to look after your financial well-being.

And avoid getting into a lease longer than the warranty period. For instance, if the Jeep warranty is 36 months, don’t get into a 48-month lease. If something were to break while you are leasing w/o warranty, you will be left holding the bag for any repairs.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hey Pete.

First, let me make the case for purchase despite your concerns that the Wrangler may not be a good fit for you.

I'm not going to argue the "do it man, you'll love it," school of thought. You may not (although most do) like it, and if you don't, it speaks nothing to your worth.

But, as you mentioned, this try before you buy approach costs $, and worse comes to worse, if you don't like the rig, few vehicles keep their value like a Wrangler, so selling at very little loss is possible.

If you live in NY and you have time on your side I would (although it's been a while and the "Ordering and Pricing Discussions" section of the forum will have current info on this) strongly consider buying at Koons in Vienna, VA, who I hope still offers 5% off invoice for factory orders. You can take Amtrak it to DC's Metro Station, https://www.wmata.com/schedules/maps/upload/2019-System-Map.pdf Metro Station to Union Station on the Glendale/Shady Grove Red line (in the Shady Grove direction,) and from Union Station to Tyson's Corner on the Largo Town Center/Wiehle-Reston East Silver line (in the Wiehle -Reston East direction) and walk to the dealer, thereafter driving home your rig.

From what I read here nearly everyone is happy with the Koon's experience. And when you factory order you don't have to pay for features you don't want, nor do without features you seek.

Reactions: mag

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Keep in mind that some dealers won’t do warranty work on a Jeep you didn’t purchase from them. My sister lives 2.5 miles from a Chrysler dealership but they wouldn’t service her car because she didn’t buy it there. Maybe make sure you have a dealer close by who will service your Jeep even if you didn’t buy it from them, especially if you choose to purchase out of state. Also tricky because I’ve read some dealerships don’t provide rentals.

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Keep in mind that some dealers won’t do warranty work on a Jeep you didn’t purchase from them. My sister lives 2.5 miles from a Chrysler dealership but they wouldn’t service her car because she didn’t buy it there. Maybe make sure you have a dealer close by who will service your Jeep even if you didn’t buy it from them, especially if you choose to purchase out of state. Also tricky because I’ve read some dealerships don’t provide rentals.

I've always been under the impression that if the vehicle is under warranty any dealership is obliged to service it. What if one is out of town on a road trip and the thing breaks down?

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I've always been under the impression that if the vehicle is under warranty any dealership is obliged to service it. What if one is out of town on a road trip and the thing breaks down?
My sister’s car is still under warranty. :mad:

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
A dealer doesn't have to work on your vehicle. They are not obligated to. It's usually in their best interest to do so, but again, they don't have to. Warranty work usually doesn't pay well, so many dealers won't mess with it If you didn't purchase it from them. If you're out of town, that's a different story.

Sponsored

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
Hey there neighbor!

Not sure about leasing, i bought one that I factory ordered, but the best deal I could find on long island was 1% below sticker. I acted interested and test drove several different wranglers in a row. Did that at every dealer from queens border to the hamptons. Without any haggling whatsoever, i got about 7% below invoice without tread lightly at Suresky Motors in Goshen, NY. Also got a trade-in amount that I was happy with, and New York only taxes on the balance of the new vehicle after the trade-in value is deducted. That just ups the savings right there. The other dealer which was my backup is Fitzpatrick Motors in Ansonia, CT. Just mention this forum and both of those dealers should treat you right.

Best of luck and welcome to the fold!
Ha the best I could get them to was 5% and when i asked about 6% they said no and it's not fair to the other members on here guess that was a load.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
No dealer is obliged to do anything.

Having said this has become a growing issue as Jeep and Ram sales have gone through the roof, and FCA started paying dealers a lot less for warranty work.

The bottom line from dealers’ standpoint: if they have more work than they know what to do, they will refuse warranty work first because it pays less.

This is not a good situation in the long-term. Dealers are alienating a lot of customers with this attitude.

I went through this personally. I moved from California to Washington: earlier this year the only Jeep dealer in town, which is 2 miles from my house, refused warranty work on my Jeep because I hadn’t bought it there. I was forced to drive 25 miles to the next closest dealer.

Fast forward to now: I bought a new JLU Sahara a month ago, and since then have spent about $2,000 in Mopar accessories on things like headliners, LED headlights, slush mats, splash guards, wheel locks, sill guards, emblems, etc. And in the next few months I plan to buy Mopar steel bumpers and Katzkin leather seats, but I actively avoid my nearby dealer. They ain’t getting one cent from me.

Last edited:

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Hmm, that's not what I'm finding. I'm finding that the Magnuson-Moss Act does indeed force any dealer, as a representative of the brand, to do work covered under the warranty that they're obligated to offer under Magnuson-Moss.

Formattc

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Sarge Green
Now that I think about it, when I sued GM for breach of warranty back in 2002, my lawyer had me take it to a different dealership than where I bought it and we sued based on their refusal to repair (third strike). This ended up costing them $8000, $5000 settlement plus $3000 in legal fees, when it would have been FAR cheaper to just fix my truck.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Gawd, not another expert on the Magnusson-Moss Act...

Sorry, I have better things to do than get in a legal entanglement with a stupid dealer.
Sponsored