Purchasing a New JK vs. a JL?

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Ya, the used market makes even less sense. Interest rates are higher....and the residual resale is so high you might as well buy new if you can.
The interest rate is 0.00% on all Wranglers if for the buyer who pay cash. The residuals on a JK and a JL should be so similar that the only real factor should be how much you want to spend. I would never question a person who wants to spend less than $30,000 buying a used JK- there are some really good deals out there especially for the buyer who has cash in hand. He definitely won’t get the latest and greatest, but as long as he takes good care of it, it’ll be easy to sell for good money when the time comes.

If I didn’t find a sick deal in a brand new JL, I was ready to buy a JK.
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Whether a JK is a better deal than a JL is subjective. The JK engineering and design is over 10 years old. If you want to build a Wrangler up, a JK may be the way to go, if you can get a really good deal on it. JK has a much better aftermarket right now.
Im concerned with the 2nd battery, 3 if a Turbo on the JLs. Particularly in a jump situation.
I understand the concern, but if thats high up on your list, what are you doing? How often do you really need a jump start?

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I came from a TJ to a JL. My 2-cents, as I checked out both 2018 JKs and JLs when I was at the dealer, is that the 8-spd tranny, interior appointments, and updated styling of the JL were well worth the additional dollars to me.

Last edited:

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Im concerned with the 2nd battery, 3 if a Turbo on the JLs. Particularly in a jump situation.
I thought it was still two with the turbo. I don’t think they have the small battery under hood, just the larger one and the one underneath the rear.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Is there something on your JL that you can’t work on?
On my JK I could only do the easy stuff such as install Tuffy hood lock . I am actually disabled with arthritis , back disc degeneration , etc . Cannot afford a JL .

Last edited:

krucam

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra, 2019 JLR ordered 12/22/2018
Occupation
FAA
I thought it was still two with the turbo. I don’t think they have the small battery under hood, just the larger one and the one underneath the rear.
There is a 3rd on the Turbos I believe. It’s on the under carriage. It is used for the Belt Generator System (Electric Motor tied to Engine belt I believe. This 3rd electrical system also has another Coolant system. Battery #2 under main battery supports just the ESS system. Dunno...

I’m car shopping and researching 3 vehicles. All new JL Sport S or maybe Rubi, JK Rubi and a Tacoma Off Road.

I’m old school and electronics savvy. The complexity of the JLs is giving me pause...

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
There is a 3rd on the Turbos I believe. It’s on the under carriage. It is used for the Belt Generator System (Electric Motor tied to Engine belt I believe. This 3rd electrical system also has another Coolant system. Battery #2 under main battery supports just the ESS system. Dunno...

I’m car shopping and researching 3 vehicles. All new JL Sport S or maybe Rubi, JK Rubi and a Tacoma Off Road.

I’m old school and electronics savvy. The complexity of the JLs is giving me pause...
Mine is a v6, so I can’t say, but on Jeep Informants you tube channel there’s a video that titled “first look at the 48volt battery pack “. It shows all the cooling lines and stuff going back there. To much of a headache for me.... but he said the small battery wasn’t under the hood of the 2.0.
Again I don’t own one, so it’s all hearsay to me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GoHack

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase

I've looked for a Tacoma myself, but can't find one w/a manual transmission, and especially w/the extended cab. They stopped offering their I4 engine model w/a manual transmission, and finding one w/the V6 is nearly impossible.

The more electrical, electronics, and computers they stick into vehicles now-a-days, the more failure points that they'll have over time.

The electronics are going to be under a state of fluxing temperature conditions in many conditions, from cold when off, to extreme heat, especially in desert conditions, then there's the vibrations that they'll have to endure at the very same time, especially off-road. We're not talking about aircraft quality electronics here. When electronics go, they go, and w/o any warning.

The very last thing one wants to happen, especially off-road, is to have their vehicle break down on them, most especially, due to a failed OEM part, and in a brand new vehicle no less, then after, to have to go and fight over the warranty w/the dealer and FCA.

Myself, outside of trying to find a Tacoma, I'm looking at an essentially naked Jeep, the standard JL Sport Unlimited, w/the standard V6 engine and 6 Speed Manual Transmission, and w/no electric windows, which do fail. I'm not that lazy not to manually roll my windows up and down.

The only must have options I'm looking for, the Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group, for a winch, the 3 Piece Hardtop, and the Anti–Spin Differential. I'd like to find one w/Tinted windows, but so far no luck. That can be easily added later I guess.

Myself, I've owned a TJ, a 2006 Unlimited, 100% stock, the very last of the classical Jeeps as far as I'm concerned, which I wish I never got rid of. The only issue the 2006 TJ's had that I remember was w/the ignition system, which I didn't have any issues with, but many did.

Last edited:

19JL

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR
See this is exactly why they make so many different models. One for everybody. I’m the complete opposite. I want all the options, 8 spd auto, big 8.4” touch screen, proximity entry, cold weather, heated steering, remote start, etc. I’m with you on the basic 3.6. ESS is not for me. I’ll take my chances out in the trail. Honestly, I’ve been a diehard Jeep owner for the last 27 years and they’ve proved themselves. Never wheel alone and you’ll always get off the trail. The one I wish I’d have never sold was my 06 LJ.

Wade Wilson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 Willys PU, 2006 TJ, 2014 JKU, 2018 JLU Sahara
With all the problems which I've been reading here on this forum about the JL, would I be better of purchasing a new 2018 JK vs. the JL?

Thanks
No, don't even think about a JK over a JL, I currently own both. The JL is light years ahead, the power difference, the ride and the electronics are amazing compared to the JL, AMAZING!
Not that I'm shitting on the Jk, I currently own a TJ, a JK, a JL and a 62 Willys pickup.

What you need to remember with any Jeep is that it is the most overpriced veh out there, you'll spend as much as a Lexus and you'll never ever get what you pay for in a Jeep, that's just the way it is and they have no incentive to give you the most bang for your buck because we love them so much!

Don't get me wrong I'm a Jeep lover, look at my garage all decked out in jeep grills and stuff, I LOVE MY JEEPS! It just is what it is, but the JL is a HUGE improvement, make sure you drive both, it's like night and day.............once again I LOVE MY JEEPS!

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
With all the problems which I've been reading here on this forum about the JL, would I be better of purchasing a new 2018 JK vs. the JL?

Thanks
I've had mine since May and it's great. Even made a video if you want to see a walkthrough:)
Sponsored