First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
I’m positive the JL holds the advantage, but as far as actually feeling it..I don’t. It’s still feels like a Jeep to me. The world’s fastest school bus is still just a school bus.
Ok, I'll be that guy. The world's fastest school bus hit 367 mph, and was powered by a 42,000hp GE J-79 jet engine from a McDonnell Douglas F4 Phantom (happy googling, kids!).

My point, besides being a pedantic jerk, is that it's entirely possible that, to you, the world's fastest school bus still feels like a school bus. To many, however the difference is more tangible. Consensus here seems to be that most folks can feel a significant difference between the JK and the JL. If you can't, well that's really a shame...
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I honestly think more people are sensitive to it because of the placebo effect.
There’s only a half second difference in quarter mile times between a JK and JL.
Most people can’t perceive a half second difference. Factors from humidy, air density, temperature, altitude, engine temp, etc can vary quarter mile performance by over a second on the same vehicle.
Unless one can perceive the day to day performance fluctuations in the same vehicle, odds are they won’t be able to perceive the performance difference between one vehicle to another with an even tighter theoretical performance gap.
It’s not even close. No where near a comparison. I don’t care what the times are. Living at 7000 ft really tests these engines. I can tow a trailer up and down the mountains with ease on 37’s with my JL. My JKR could barely get its slow ass on the highway, empty on 35’s. Even then it would scream and then almost overheat during the summer. Forget it. There is no argument.

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
All that have a Tazer JL should post their 0-60 times. Mines a stock rubicon, back to back runs of all 7.0x seconds which is respectable for a Jeep. I saw someone else posted a run with 35’s and was still at 7 seconds.

Anyone else?

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
I don’t know the scientific data. All I know is, it’s adequate and doesn’t bother me at all. And that’s coming from a Hellcat owner (well.... former Hellcat owner as of a couple weeks ago now)

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
I honestly think more people are sensitive to it because of the placebo effect.
There’s only a half second difference in quarter mile times between a JK and JL.
Most people can’t perceive a half second difference.
I completely agree with your logic but what others seem to be getting at is there are differences in lower speeds. Quatermile comes quarter minute or so later but in daily driving we only floor for just a few seconds.
A lambo takes around or just under 2 seconds to 40mph and a stock JK is around 3.5 seconds.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

i test drove both back to back this weekend. i first test drove a JK sport with 3.21 followed by a JL sport with 3.45. both optioned the same. the 3.21 felt like a dog.

i then found a jk with 3.73 that i liked and for a great price at another dealer. i test drove that one followed by another JL, back to back. the reason i drove the JL again was because i wanted the wife to drive both as well this time. i thought the 3.73 JK would leave the JL behind. nope. the JL still felt quite a bit faster. and not just to me. my wife said the difference on these two was like night and day.

all of these were basic Sport (roll up windows) with auto trans. to me, it felt like the difference between a V6 mustang and a mustang GT.

*disclosure, i have a modified GT500. so i know fast. the JL definitely impressed me. especially for a wrangler.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
i test drove both back to back this weekend. i first test drove a JK sport with 3.21 followed by a JL sport with 3.45. both optioned the same. the 3.21 felt like a dog.

i then found a jk with 3.73 that i liked and for a great price at another dealer. i test drove that one followed by another JL, back to back. the reason i drove the JL again was because i wanted the wife to drive both as well this time. i thought the 3.73 JK would leave the JL behind. nope. the JL still felt quite a bit faster. and not just to me. my wife said the difference on these two was like night and day.

all of these were basic Sport (roll up windows) with auto trans. to me, it felt like the difference between a V6 mustang and a mustang GT.

*disclosure, i have a modified GT500. so i know fast. the JL definitely impressed me. especially for a wrangler.
Hold on. Two different Jeeps with the same engine hp and torque felt like the difference between two different mustangs with 150hp difference between them?

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not even close. No where near a comparison. I don’t care what the times are. Living at 7000 ft really tests these engines. I can tow a trailer up and down the mountains with ease on 37’s with my JL. My JKR could barely get its slow ass on the highway, empty on 35’s. Even then it would scream and then almost overheat during the summer. Forget it. There is no argument.
I drove mine to Ouray and back with a 1,000lb trailer and got 21mpg going 60-75mph. My JK would barely go 65.

This JL Jeep is far faster and extremely easy to "feel" in the drivers seat. I can cruise down the hwy at 75-80mph (think north of Denver I-25) with no issue where my JK really hated the 75mph roads. Just a completely different animal.

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
Today I have a loaner 2018 jk from my dealer while he has my jl wheels powder coated black (part of the original deal). When I leave my neighborhood I have to go up a decent hill for about 1/2 a mile accelerating to 55 mph.. The jk labors up the hill and shifts seem slow and late. The jl is much quicker with very smooth shifting....no placebo.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Hold on. Two different Jeeps with the same engine hp and torque felt like the difference between two different mustangs with 150hp difference between them?
practically. its not always how much power you have but how you put it down to the ground (transmission).
plus, doesnt the JL weigh 200lbs less than the JK? the comparison of V6 to GT was moreso of the 3.24 JK to the JL. the 3.24 just felt sluggish. not bad for a jeep. its really more that the JL doesnt move out like a typical jeep.

and the 300hp V6 mustang is no slug. and the GT (referring more to 400hpish version) isnt exactly a screamer off the line in stock form. weight and grip come in to play when taking off from a standstill. if i stomp on my 600hp gt500 it will spin the tires and ill be neck and neck with the guy in the GT.

as i referred in my other post, this is just how it felt to me, via the butt dyno. not exactly a scientific approach. but either way, im sure the majority will agree that the JL feels significantly quicker, which is great for driving in traffic. i daily a 4 banger fusion (company car) and its slow as balls. even when i stomp on it to pass a car on the on ramp, i usually lose. my last fusion (company car) had same motor, weight and transmission BUT, it had a sport mode. that changed the gearing (?) or shift points, and made the car accelerate a hair quicker. the difference is noticeable.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I think only the JLUR came in 200lbs lighter than it's JK counterpart, the JKUR. The others were either closer, even, or the JL was slightly heavier, IIRC.
Sponsored