JK vs JL bumpers

Mikeb16

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Has anybody test fitted any bumpers that are meant for the JK on the new JL? I have seen on extreme terrain that they have jl bumpers but those were meant for the JK.
Sponsored

The Z

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab, 2013 Toyota Sienna, 2003 4 Winds 5000 Motorhome
I ordered Stubby bumper from Rough Country that was marketed as the JL version but when it arrived was in a box labeled for JK I called them and they said it was the same thing. It fit just fine. I suspect others are just marketing some of the old JK designs as for JL as if they did something different. That is for Front bumpers but the rear bumpers no JK bumper will fit why you don't see many aftermarket JL rear bumpers ready for market.

OP
OP
Mikeb16

Mikeb16

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I ordered Stubby bumper from Rough Country that was marketed as the JL version but when it arrived was in a box labeled for JK I called them and they said it was the same thing. It fit just fine. I suspect others are just marketing some of the old JK designs as for JL as if they did something different. That is for Front bumpers but the rear bumpers no JK bumper will fit why you don't see many aftermarket JL rear bumpers ready for market.
Did the led lights plug into the factory harness or did you have to rewire them?

The Z

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab, 2013 Toyota Sienna, 2003 4 Winds 5000 Motorhome
Did the led lights plug into the factory harness or did you have to rewire them?
Included was short like 8 inch wired adapters that allowed the factory harness to connect to the Rough Country LED lights. Included was a lot of wire adapters and a remote switch for vehicles that never had any fog lights. The JL factory bumper when you remove it has a connector at the body that disconnects the wiring from the bumper in one connection the rest of the wire to reach the fog lights is hidden in the bumper so I had to after removing the factory bumper totally dissemble the bumper to get the rest of the harness that splits the wires into each fog light. If they had included a harness to replace that instead of dismantling the factory bumper it would have saved some work. I think given all the other wires and harnesses included if the bumper would have been packaged specifically for a JL that would be included.

The LED Light bar I wired to Aux 1 switch. One downside I knew of upfront of course I have Factory LED option and I traded the Rough Country Square LED fog lights for the round Factory ones I had. The Rough Country ones are way brighter than factory LED. That is good and bad when driving you don't want to have the Fog lights on at all if its not foggy you will blind other traffic where with the Factory ones not as bad not as blinding.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikeb16

Mikeb16

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Included was short like 8 inch wired adapters that allowed the factory harness to connect to the Rough Country LED lights. Included was a lot of wire adapters and a remote switch for vehicles that never had any fog lights. The JL factory bumper when you remove it has a connector at the body that disconnects the wiring from the bumper in one connection the rest of the wire to reach the fog lights is hidden in the bumper so I had to after removing the factory bumper totally dissemble the bumper to get the rest of the harness that splits the wires into each fog light. If they had included a harness to replace that instead of dismantling the factory bumper it would have saved some work. I think given all the other wires and harnesses included if the bumper would have been packaged specifically for a JL that would be included.

The LED Light bar I wired to Aux 1 switch. One downside I knew of upfront of course I have Factory LED option and I traded the Rough Country Square LED fog lights for the round Factory ones I had. The Rough Country ones are way brighter than factory LED. That is good and bad when driving you don't want to have the Fog lights on at all if its not foggy you will blind other traffic where with the Factory ones not as bad not as blinding.

Did you have a issue with the bolts on the outside of the frame not lining up correctly?

The Z

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you have a issue with the bolts on the outside of the frame not lining up correctly?
Yes Actually what corrected it was you don't want to put the nut or washers on the bolt pegs attached to the bumper until last they prevent you from aligning the bumper holes up. Have someone hold the bumper get the bolt lined and started into the bumper on one side then don't fully tighten then shift it around to align the other side and get the bolt started then put the nuts on the bolt pegs and then tighten it all up.

Jorian610

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Design
Yes Actually what corrected it was you don't want to put the nut or washers on the bolt pegs attached to the bumper until last they prevent you from aligning the bumper holes up. Have someone hold the bumper get the bolt lined and started into the bumper on one side then don't fully tighten then shift it around to align the other side and get the bolt started then put the nuts on the bolt pegs and then tighten it all up.
I am wondering if the factory LED fog lights fit up with the JK bumper. I have the factory plastic bumper with LED lights and want to replace the bumper with the Smittybilt SRC GEN2 bumper, but keep the lights. I found the JK bumper $60 cheaper, if it fits up why throw away the cash?

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Interesting, in researching parts prior to getting serious about buying, winch mounts are mostly different part numbers. I'm intrigued that the bumpers have the same mount but not the winch mount systems.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
I am wondering if the factory LED fog lights fit up with the JK bumper. I have the factory plastic bumper with LED lights and want to replace the bumper with the Smittybilt SRC GEN2 bumper, but keep the lights. I found the JK bumper $60 cheaper, if it fits up why throw away the cash?
Sports bumper fogs are not matched to the jk

Sahara and Rubicon plastic bumpers fogs are direct swaps for jk 12+ jk plastic bumper fogs

Rubicon steel fogs look similar to the jk steel bumper fogs but don't know if they are direct swap

Sponsored

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
JK front bumpers fit on the JL as the mounting points are identical, but you may have issues with the lights. Zip ties help if you can’t exactly match the pattern for the fog lights. I will say getting the loom apart from the stock bumper is a PIA.

Jorian610

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Design
Sports bumper fogs are not matched to the jk

Sahara and Rubicon plastic bumpers fogs are direct swaps for jk 12+ jk plastic bumper fogs

Rubicon steel fogs look similar to the jk steel bumper fogs but don't know if they are direct swap
Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention the most important detail, I have the Rubicon so this should work. I read elsewhere on this forum that the mounting pattern for the lights is different between the steel and plastic bumper.

UPDATE:
I went ahead and purchased the JK version and found the trailing edge of the bumper is too long for the JL and hits the grill so I had to cut the bumper to make clearance. It still looks great when all is said and done.
Sponsored

Last edited: