Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Hey All!

First off, new here, couldn't find a thread about this. I purchased my 2020 JLUR just over a week ago, and oh my are the differences clear. I had a 2007 JKU Sport previously, lifted, geared, all the fun stuff and man was that thing a gigantic piece. I swore off wranglers with how many problems that 3.8 had. So far there are some serious differences I have noticed not counting things like the front Dana 44, Lockers, Power Windows (lol), 3.6 vs 3.8.

First thing I noticed, the 3 Piece Hard Top comes off so much faster! Also, its way cooler, not sure if this has to do with mine being painted. My JK top would get so hot that you couldn't even touch it if it was 90 degrees out.

Steering, man this thing drives so much better than my Sport JK its not even funny. Even stock that JK Steering was horrid.

Speakers, it actually has some damn soul to it. I would have to crank that old radio so loud with the top off to hear anything.

What about y'all? What difference did you notice/like the most between the two generations??
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations.

Sounds like you went from a $15,000 JK Sport with manual everything, to a $50,000 loaded JL Rubicon. Yes, there’ll be quite a difference.

I still have a hole in my elbow where it used to rest against the rock hard center armrest of my 2009 JK.

Welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
Cleoncini

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Congratulations.

Sounds like you went from a $15,000 JK Sport with manual everything, to a $50,000 loaded JL Rubicon. Yes, there’ll be quite a difference.

I still have a hole in my elbow where it used to rest against the rock hard center armrest of my 2009 JK.

Welcome to the forum!
Lol you're not wrong there. I had to upgrade a lot of that JK. Difference of being 19 vs 28 now...budgets get to change. Personally it just seems like Jeep/FCA fixed so many of my annoyances with the JK.

The rock hard plastic console...also became hotter than Africa with the top off.....

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
This is funny, over the years I would test drive a JK and NOPE not for me I just never felt that connection, then I drove a new JL and bingo it checked all the boxes down to the bumping stereo system.

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
Yes, the JK to JL includes a lot of nice upgrades. But in fairness, that 2007 was a rough start for JK's I've run multiple CJ's, TJ's JK and now JL. 2007 was when Jeep left the 4.0 inline 6 for that 1st gen V6 that just didn't have a lot of power for the added weight of a longer wheel base 4 door. I avoided until 2012 when they introduced the Penestar V6 as well as the upgraded interior and painted tops.

Given that - I loved my JK! That said, because both my JK and JL were pretty loaded up with creature comforts that were night and day different from my CJ's and TJ's... the gap between my JK to JL seemed less of a change. Both, JK and JL were outfitted with heated leather, upgraded infotainment and modified with 2" MOPAR suspension.

As for the Big differences, I love the upgraded new infotainment with its larger screen and ease of use of the UConnect system... It is really intuitive and functions super well. I loved my JK interior, but the JL has just refined it's previous version pretty nicely. It still has so many fun easter eggs pointing to JEEP's heritage and long history. I love that they kept and even simplified the folding windshield...

The visibility is also improved. The windows across the entire side drop lower to deliver a ton of visibility through any window. While they lowered the spare mount, this typically gets lost with a relocation bracket to accommodate a larger tire. My favorite change to the JL is the grill. The way the headlights poke in on the iconic 7 slot grill has such a classic look modeled after the CJ. I really appreciate that touch... It is one of the few modern vehicles the has no logo on the front facia. This is only possible because the front end is so brand recognizable that it doesn't need it.

That said, there are a couple areas that I can honestly say I am not a fan of. First is the slight angle change they made to the windshield. I know they added this to help make it more fuel efficient... but it DOES change the lines of the vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I have gotten used to it... but having had many JEEPs... I didn't buy ANY of them for fuel efficiency... and in a world where most cars seem to look the same as every other, I do appreciate and value the way JEEP has maintained the heritage of it's past. My tastes prefer the 2 degree steeper windshield. It is a brick on wheels... give it a lift, and now it's a wind sail on wheels :)

Lastly... I hate the new soft top. I have both hard top and soft top.... To be clear, I do appreciate the new mechanism to slide it open and close... that is nice. But I have 2 complaints. 1st, is the new pin system. If you knew how to use the old zipper system.. it was NOT hard to use. Quirky perhaps... but I never had issues with any of mine. However, 2nd, and the real problem with the new soft top that takes away from the ease of dropping down or folding up is the molded side panels and back window.

EVERY jeep I ever had, I always rolled up the back window and fastened with my loops to get good air flow. But also, since you could roll up the window, you didn't have to remove it to drop the top. When I wanted to drop my top, my panels came out easy and could be stored below the carpet in the back cargo area. This is because they could be placed flat and take no space, so you didn't lose cargo area because of the panels. You could drop the top regardless of where you were or what you had in your jeep no matter the place or time because the back window and panels all fit nicely and had a place to be stored easily in the JEEP.

With the new side panels - they are molded at the corner, so they can't lay flat. When you remove they take up way more space then they ever used to. Additionally, a back window now needs to be fully removed before you can drop the top. So you can no longer simply roll up the back window and just deal with the panels. This means you either have to plan for removing the soft top leaving pieces at home or find some way to store the bulky panels and back window that can no longer be tucked below the carpet and rolled up.

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Many folks, including many in the auto press, agree with the OP. The JL is a very big step up over the JK. I never owned a JK but, I comment FCA for bringing this edition to market.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I totally agree on the soft top, the lack of a roll up rear window makes it too cumbersome. Go " back " to a roll up rear window - and side windows too ! So easy to drop and fasten in changeable weather...

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
Lastly... I hate the new soft top. I have both hard top and soft top.... To be clear, I do appreciate the new mechanism to slide it open and close... that is nice. But I have 2 complaints. 1st, is the new pin system. If you knew how to use the old zipper system.. it was NOT hard to use. Quirky perhaps... but I never had issues with any of mine. However, 2nd, and the real problem with the new soft top that takes away from the ease of dropping down or folding up is the molded side panels and back window.

EVERY jeep I ever had, I always rolled up the back window and fastened with my loops to get good air flow. But also, since you could roll up the window, you didn't have to remove it to drop the top. When I wanted to drop my top, my panels came out easy and could be stored below the carpet in the back cargo area. This is because they could be placed flat and take no space, so you didn't lose cargo area because of the panels. You could drop the top regardless of where you were or what you had in your jeep no matter the place or time because the back window and panels all fit nicely and had a place to be stored easily in the JEEP.

With the new side panels - they are molded at the corner, so they can't lay flat. When you remove they take up way more space then they ever used to. Additionally, a back window now needs to be fully removed before you can drop the top. So you can no longer simply roll up the back window and just deal with the panels. This means you either have to plan for removing the soft top leaving pieces at home or find some way to store the bulky panels and back window that can no longer be tucked below the carpet and rolled up.
I 100% agree with this!

The last four Wranglers that I've owned ('95 YJ, '06 TJ, '09 JK, '12 JK) all had dual tops, and from my personal experience I can tell you that the pre-JL soft tops were a breeze to drop, raise or remove all together....well, except for the '95 YJ soft top which was a royal pain in the ass in all respects LOL.

I played with a 2 door soft top at the dealership before I bought my '19 JLR, and never really liked the way it operated, or how bulky the whole thing felt to me when compared to the JK soft top. I also didn't think it went down anywhere near as low as the JK soft top did when it was lowered.

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
I loved my 09 jku x/sport, except for the engine/transmission combo. Gutless and not very smooth. Love it in my jl sport s. Only a couple of things I don't care for on the jl, the ess, which a few of us don't like. Also, the door check/prop. Didn't have it in the jk, don't care for it in the jl. Easy fix tho, just pushed it inside the door. Although I do like it on the tailgate, much more needed there than the other doors.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Hey All!

First off, new here, couldn't find a thread about this. I purchased my 2020 JLUR just over a week ago, and oh my are the differences clear. I had a 2007 JKU Sport previously, lifted, geared, all the fun stuff and man was that thing a gigantic piece. I swore off wranglers with how many problems that 3.8 had. So far there are some serious differences I have noticed not counting things like the front Dana 44, Lockers, Power Windows (lol), 3.6 vs 3.8.

First thing I noticed, the 3 Piece Hard Top comes off so much faster! Also, its way cooler, not sure if this has to do with mine being painted. My JK top would get so hot that you couldn't even touch it if it was 90 degrees out.

Steering, man this thing drives so much better than my Sport JK its not even funny. Even stock that JK Steering was horrid.

Speakers, it actually has some damn soul to it. I would have to crank that old radio so loud with the top off to hear anything.

What about y'all? What difference did you notice/like the most between the two generations??
Welcome back :like:

giphy (5).gif

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Hey All!

Most of everything you said /agreed.
Sponsored