Proximity Entry not working

Rexn30

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Toyota Tacoma
Hello! I just picked up my JLUR today - I have the remote start and also proximity option. I tried the remote start at the dealership and it worked fine. I didn’t try the proximity since the car was already unlocked. I got home a few minutes ago and I CANNOT get the proximity to work. I’ve tried unlocking the door then try to hit the button to lock the doors and nothing. Tried 100x to unlock door with my hand and nothing. Is there a way to reset this or maybe a fuse wasn’t installed? I’m puzzled - I only have 78 miles

Chad -
Sponsored

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Checking all your fuses is a mandatory step in JL ownership. Beyond that, I do not know if there is an option to turn it on/off in UConnect as mine was working from the day I picked it up.

Edit: Looks like there is a setting. From the UConnect 8.4 settings:
  • Passive Entry — If Equipped
    This feature allows you to lock and unlock the vehicle’s door(s) without having to press the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Key Fob lock or unlock buttons. To make your selection, press the Passive Entry button on the touchscreen, until a check-mark appears next to setting, indicating that the setting has been selected. Press the back arrow button on the touchscreen to return to the previous menu. Refer to “Keyless Enter-N-Go” in “Things To Know Before Starting Your Vehicle”.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
There are tons of settings in the UConnect menus. Have fun learning them.

OP
OP

Rexn30

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Toyota Tacoma
Checking all your fuses is a mandatory step in JL ownership. Beyond that, I do not know if there is an option to turn it on/off in UConnect as mine was working from the day I picked it up.

Edit: Looks like there is a setting. From the UConnect 8.4 settings:
  • Passive Entry — If Equipped
    This feature allows you to lock and unlock the vehicle’s door(s) without having to press the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Key Fob lock or unlock buttons. To make your selection, press the Passive Entry button on the touchscreen, until a check-mark appears next to setting, indicating that the setting has been selected. Press the back arrow button on the touchscreen to return to the previous menu. Refer to “Keyless Enter-N-Go” in “Things To Know Before Starting Your Vehicle”.
The check mark was there - I turned it off then back on and nothing.

Chad

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The check mark was there - I turned it off then back on and nothing.

Chad
Check that all fuses and relays are properly seated in the fuse box under the hood. If that doesn't do it, you might have a bad module that controls that feature (I don't know what the specific name would be). Might be worth a trip to your dealer.

Sponsored

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hello! I just picked up my JLUR today - I have the remote start and also proximity option. I tried the remote start at the dealership and it worked fine. I didn’t try the proximity since the car was already unlocked. I got home a few minutes ago and I CANNOT get the proximity to work. I’ve tried unlocking the door then try to hit the button to lock the doors and nothing. Tried 100x to unlock door with my hand and nothing. Is there a way to reset this or maybe a fuse wasn’t installed? I’m puzzled - I only have 78 miles

Chad -
Are you grabbing the handle when you’re pushing the lock or ET’ing it? It won’t reliably lock if you are wrapping your hand around the handle.

OP
OP

Rexn30

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Toyota Tacoma
Are you grabbing the handle when you’re pushing the lock or ET’ing it? It won’t reliably lock if you are wrapping your hand around the handle.
I’ve tried everything - even the “ET” way to try and lock it. Haha -

OP
OP

Rexn30

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Toyota Tacoma
Check that all fuses and relays are properly seated in the fuse box under the hood. If that doesn't do it, you might have a bad module that controls that feature (I don't know what the specific name would be). Might be worth a trip to your dealer.
I looked at the fuses and pressed on them all and they felt fine - do you know the name of the fuse that runs that feature? It’s probably named something odd that I didn’t notice.

Chad -

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I looked at the fuses and pressed on them all and they felt fine - do you know the name of the fuse that runs that feature? It’s probably named something odd that I didn’t notice.

Chad -
Not sure if there is a specific fuse/relay for that. All fuses and relays are listed under the fuse box cover.

I still think this is something that warrants a dealer visit. It's a brand new vehicle and should not have this issue.

OP
OP

Rexn30

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Toyota Tacoma
Not sure if there is a specific fuse/relay for that. All fuses and relays are listed under the fuse box cover.

I still think this is something that warrants a dealer visit. It's a brand new vehicle and should not have this issue.
Touché - I’ll head there Tuesday on my day off. Maybe if they hook up a scan tool and show “disabled” and they just have to enable. But I have no idea. I know they had stuff that that for Toyota when I worked as a mechanic.

Chad -

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rexn30

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Toyota Tacoma
So I tried one more time now that it is dark outside - so I took my key fob out.. and when I push the little button on my handle to “lock” the little red light on my key fob lights up.. same goes when I have it locked and put my hand behind the handle. So it recognizes my hand/little button but the doors just don’t lock or unlock. I feel like this is an easy fix I can’t figure out.

Chad -

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
So I tried one more time now that it is dark outside - so I took my key fob out.. and when I push the little button on my handle to “lock” the little red light on my key fob lights up.. same goes when I have it locked and put my hand behind the handle. So it recognizes my hand/little button but the doors just don’t lock or unlock. I feel like this is an easy fix I can’t figure out.

Chad -
Yep, I would go to the dealer. It sounds like something could be messed up in program or a messed up connection between the handle sensor and the lock actuator.

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Touché - I’ll head there Tuesday on my day off. Maybe if they hook up a scan tool and show “disabled” and they just have to enable. But I have no idea. I know they had stuff that that for Toyota when I worked as a mechanic.

Chad -
page# 575 in your owners manual...
Passive Entry — If Equipped On Off NOTE: The “Passive Entry” feature allows you to lock and unlock the vehicles door(s) without having to push the key fob lock or
unlock buttons. To make your selection, press the “Passive Entry” button on the touchscreen, until a check-mark appears
next to the setting, showing that the setting has been selected.

the whole page
Sound Horn With Lock — If Equipped Off 1st Press 2nd Press Sound Horn With Remote Start — If Equipped On Off 1st Press Of Key Fob Unlocks Driver Door All Doors NOTE: When "Driver Door" is selected with 1st Press Of Key Fob Unlocks, only the driver's door will unlock with the first press of
the key fob unlock button. You must press the key fob unlock button twice to unlock the passenger's doors. When "All Doors"
is selected for 1st Press Of Key Fob Unlocks, all doors will unlock on the first press of the key fob unlock button. If the vehicle
is programmed 1st Press Of Key Fob Unlocks “All Doors,” all doors will unlock, no matter which Passive Entry equipped
door handle is grasped. If 1st Press Of Key Fob Unlocks “Driver Door” is programmed, only the driver’s door will unlock
when the driver’s door is grasped. With Passive Entry, if 1st Press Of Key Fob Unlocks “Driver Door” is programmed,
touching the handle more than once will result in only the driver’s door opening. If “Driver Door” is selected, once the driver
door is opened, the interior door lock/unlock switch can be used to unlock all doors (or use key fob). Passive Entry — If Equipped On Off NOTE: The “Passive Entry” feature allows you to lock and unlock the vehicles door(s) without having to push the key fob lock or
unlock buttons. To make your selection, press the “Passive Entry” button on the touchscreen, until a check-mark appears
next to the setting, showing that the setting has been selected

OP
OP

Rexn30

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Toyota Tacoma
page# 575 in your owners manual...
Passive Entry — If Equipped On Off NOTE: The “Passive Entry” feature allows you to lock and unlock the vehicles door(s) without having to push the key fob lock or
next to the setting, showing that the setting has been selected.

the whole page
Sound Horn With Lock — If Equipped Off 1st Press 2nd Press Sound Horn With Remote Start — If Equipped On Off 1st Press Of Key Fob Unlocks Driver Door All Doors NOTE: When "Driver Door" is selected with 1st Press Of Key Fob Unlocks, only the driver's door will unlock with the first press of
the key fob unlock button. You must press the key fob unlock button twice to unlock the passenger's doors. When "All Doors"
is selected for 1st Press Of Key Fob Unlocks, all doors will unlock on the first press of the key fob unlock button. If the vehicle
is programmed 1st Press Of Key Fob Unlocks “All Doors,” all doors will unlock, no matter which Passive Entry equipped
door handle is grasped. If 1st Press Of Key Fob Unlocks “Driver Door” is programmed, only the driver’s door will unlock
when the driver’s door is grasped. With Passive Entry, if 1st Press Of Key Fob Unlocks “Driver Door” is programmed,
touching the handle more than once will result in only the driver’s door opening. If “Driver Door” is selected, once the driver
door is opened, the interior door lock/unlock switch can be used to unlock all doors (or use key fob). Passive Entry — If Equipped On Off NOTE: The “Passive Entry” feature allows you to lock and unlock the vehicles door(s) without having to push the key fob lock or
next to the setting, showing that the setting has been selected
Thanks for the information but that just says how the passive entry works depending on what you have your door unlock settings to.

I feel like I was reading somewhere in these forums a post from “jeeps mechanics site” about the wiring / initiation on Passive entry - anyone work at Jeep have that information? Maybe it was a PMI? I can’t go to a dealer before Tuesday.. it’s just bothering me. LOL

Chad -

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
When I picked up my Jeep, my passive entry didn’t work. Went back inside before leaving and salesman enabled it through the normal menus. Sorry, don’t recall exactly what he did. Good luck!
Sponsored