Sponsored

Premium soft top wear -Potential Problem

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
I just checked my wife's JLUS and her top doesn't show these wear marks. She has the standard top (non-premium). Her top had been completely folded about 90% of the time (garage kept). She doesn't use the straps in any folded position. I guess it's just a premium top issue??
Sponsored

Rich Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JL Sport
I don't strap shiot down and all seems fine to me.
Yeah, I don't see it as necessary at all, but before I strapped it down my top would billow up to above the brake light. Now it is strapped down well below it. That gives me a significant amount of visibility out the back. In my opinion that alone is worth the $10 and extra 30 seconds.

But my stupid fear that it would open up like a chute and rip off was just that .... stupid. With the locks in place and no straps - it isn't going anywhere.

Adambonnell

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler unlimited jl
Solved any future problem. Put on these Velcro straps today and there is no movement on the freeway or even while off-roading. Abrasion no more.

0300A9E6-5997-4EF2-B76E-F406B9D3F6D6.jpeg

66015E4B-816F-4018-AF03-F6300C42F79F.jpeg
Where did you get those straps? I need them ASAP!

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
My 2012 911 did that too, right behind the drivers side windows. It bugged me, but I kept telling myself that there’s a price to pay for a top that folds down. I guess we shouldn’t be surprised to see some abrasion when cloth meets cloth in a vehicle.

At least a new top for a Jeep won’t set you back seven grand, when the time comes. So there’s that...
However the old outdated JK’s premium top didn’t do that. Design fail for the JL.

Sponsored

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
I also found a set of lashing straps from Home Depot for about $10. When I first got my jeep I was hyper paranoid about the soft top when driving at speed. I had an unnatural fear that it would open like a parachute and rip off. The lashing straps solved the problem and I notice zero movement from the soft top in the down position. It takes an extra 30 seconds to put them on and I also noticed that it keeps the top packed down about an extra 3 or 4 inches which actually gives me a decent amount of visibility out the back.

soft top lashed.jpg
I did this same thing.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
Would a soft top cover protect it instead of the straps?

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
A marvel that requires a trip to Home Depot for some DIY engineering fix.
I haven’t gone to Home Depot for anything. Applying the Velcro straps that my truck was delivered with, done the way you’re supposed to, is all I’ve needed.

Last edited:

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Where did you get those straps? I need them ASAP!
Looking in manual it seems its a required step to use straps to secure top:
Capture.PNG

This explains why it bounces and rattles unacceptably, going to try this tomorrow. I expect seat belts to flap, and kinds of wind stuff, I dotn expect the top to be bouncing around and rattling like crazy.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I dont agree. Do you have a JL with a soft top?
Not yet. I have a JK with a premium top that’s working fine with no wear at 45k miles and 6 years old. I’d like to upgrade to a JL because of all the collective small improvements they made from the JK, but it seems every improvement they made created a disadvantage somewhere else. (I.e. ESS, top wears out, sunshades scratch the painted rollbars, fenders trap debris at the body seams, etc). Along with all the price increases, I’m beginning to have doubts this is worth it.

lonz

First Name
Lonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order Jeep Wrangler JL
Mine is definitely already showing signs of wear and tear, and it's only 4 months old :-(. I have the same exact white spots in various areas on the soft top. I'll probably let it go for a while, and then ask for a replacement under warranty. It definitely should NOT be showing this level of wear and tear in only a few months time!
Sponsored