Sponsored

Premium Soft Top, Winter, Ice? A Problem?

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have been reading the Thread and no reply's yet about the New Sky Power Top and snow or ice. I am New Jeep owner with the Sky Power Top. I am fortunate to live in Texas and use my Garage at night. We do get some Snow and Ice storms. Most happen overnight but not always. I had heard that Jeeps with Soft Top or even the Power Top do get a lot hotter inside than a Hard Top. I found that out this summer when Temps hit 100 real fast. Its very hot inside sitting in Sun. So the Sun should remove snow/ice build up after storm leaves. I shall found out this winter. I do love the Cold so I will be driving topless a lot. Like Greyfox said she drives topless at 45 degrees which I will love that. Can always put jacket on. Found out that going Topless in Texas at 100 degrees and heat index 110 is not for me.
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Please think about ice / snow build up on a soft top from the perspective of the person behind you on the road. Sheets of that blowing off a a real hazard, and can be a Liability issue, some states have laws regarding this danger..

M0ondogy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Maryland ! ? Cmon ,you guys have Palm trees down there ! :facepalm: Do you even need a top ?;)
I'm from the gulf south. Only been here for one winter so far.

In pretty sure I saw a polar bear riding a moose last winter it got so cold in this artic tundra like place.

It has been a learning curve for sure.

metallicpea

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
I had a TJ for the last 9 winters with a soft top only and it has been great in the winter. We get deep snow, no problems with the strength of the top or frame. Also, it cleans off easy, just brush with the arm of my coat, glove or a brush, but I never touch the soft windows with anything.
The flex of the soft top cleans off the rest of the snow and ice quickly, as well as the strong heater and I have always had a 2 door.
My JL is a premium soft top and a 2 door and I plan to use it this winter for the first time. I expect the same success as my TJ.

Sponsored

NHBIKINIPEARL

First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Bikini Pearl
Occupation
Salon Owner/Stylist
Thanks--that's my backup plan.
I did this back in the spring. I had a 2016 2 door with dual tops but was trying to save a little $ when I ordered my 2019 JLUS so I opted for the premium soft top only, I had done similar research and most people I spoke to didn't think it would be a problem. I had a moment of panic right before I took delivery and looked into ordering/adding a hard top. The problem is that when you order with just the soft top, it does not come with the windshield washer/wiper assembly for the hardtop. So when you purchase a hard top, you still have to add the assembly and dash buttons......which is a major pain to do yourself and pretty pricey to have a dealer install (I was quoted $1500+). So I'm just going to run with the soft top for now........

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Hey sorry haven’t logged in for a little while. I’m up in Northern Ontario, no issues with extreme cold, hit -45 last winter or snow accumulation on the top and we had a heavy snow fall last winter. Haven’t seen one like that since I was a kid

27C685F5-BB1B-4F8A-A146-945AD6AFC6D3.jpeg

082DA2D6-BDDC-4593-BE7D-6A0D16A76341.jpeg

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
I'm not the full answer your looking for, but it's AN answer.

I live in central Maryland. Not exactly a cold place, but we have a week or two that holds in the 30s here and there. This is the definition of cold for a guy from the gulf south where 80 isn't hot.

My neighbor has a JK. Soft top. He leaf blows his soft top then brushed (no scrapers) the top. The layer of ice is still there. He drives off. From talking to him, he drives and hour to work, and says by the time he gets to the main highway, the ice is all gone. Frederick to DC for those wondering.

I'm only a few weeks into my JL, so I can t give personal winter advice. Sorry. Hope this helps.

gets a bit colder than that in Maryland average temp for Jan and Feb at night is 23 to 26 degrees

OP
OP
johndan

johndan

First Name
Johndan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR (ordered and waiting…)
Hey sorry haven’t logged in for a little while. I’m up in Northern Ontario, no issues with extreme cold, hit -45 last winter or snow accumulation on the top and we had a heavy snow fall last winter. Haven’t seen one like that since I was a kid

27C685F5-BB1B-4F8A-A146-945AD6AFC6D3.jpeg

082DA2D6-BDDC-4593-BE7D-6A0D16A76341.jpeg
That's hard-core Canadian--top off and windshield down in the winter.
Sponsored