Sponsored

Power steering fluid

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Good suggestion, I may just call to ask.

The oem fluid is clear correct?
@NomadicTaco

On edit: It has a very slight tint of green...

Check your stealership invoice.. Do they list in parts used, Power Steering fluid Part # Mopar 68088485AB.

Careful who you talk to at the dealership. You can't be wrong on this..
Sponsored

Last edited:

NomadicTaco

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@NomadicTaco

I don't remember off the top of my head.. I think it is red though.

Check your stealership invoice.. Do they list in parts used, Power Steering fluid Part # Mopar 68088485AB.

Careful who you talk to at the dealership. You can't be wrong on this..
Yeah the invoice says the OEM part number. I'll just call and explain the situation and ask them to check because the color doesn't match the oem. I have to take my jeep back for a new fender light anyway.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The OEM fluid has a green tint to it, the chances the dealer used aftermarket fluid is slim to none.
@Jeep&dogs

I just went and re-opened my bottle of Power Steering fluid Part # Mopar 68088485AB, and the tint of green is so so slight in (hardly any tint) you can hardly see the green tint.

I agree, I would be very surprised that the dealer used aftermarket fluid.... but ya never know..

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
@Jeep&dogs

I just went and re-opened my bottle of Power Steering fluid Part # Mopar 68088485AB, and the tint of green is so so slight in (hardly any tint) you can hardly see the green tint.

I agree, I would be very surprised that the dealer used aftermarket fluid.... but ya never know..
If you pour a few Oz in a white paper cup the green tint will be darker. In the reservoir it looks almost teal.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you pour a few Oz in a white paper cup the green tint will be darker. In the reservoir it looks almost teal.
@Jeep&dogs

Actually, I did that a few minutes ago when I checked.. put some on a paper towel and on sarah wrap... Probably the more volume the more tint is noticeable.

The new bottle I have, has so little green tint you can barely see the green tint...

Anyway, tint or not tint, you do want to use the right stuff and you do not want to mix one brand with another.

Note: For those that haven't checked or added power steering fluid on their JL/JT......

When you turn the power steering reservoir cap counterclockwise to loosen/remove.... the cap doesn't proceed upwards as you turn it and come off in your hand so to speak.

You turn the cap counterclockwise until resistance..... and then pull straight upwards on the cap.

You will think the cap is not going to come off as you are meeting resistance.. Just pull up on the cap at that point.

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6
I went to the dealer today and asked them for a bottle of fluid and this is what they sold me, I asked if other power steering fluid sold at places like Autozone and Advance and the parts guy just looked at me and said why take a chance for a few dollars savings.......needless to say I left with a bottle of it and also a jug of OAT coolant
How do you open the reservoir to add the fluid, try to open turn left and is loose, but won't open.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
How do you open the reservoir to add the fluid, try to open turn left and is loose, but won't open.
Its some what of a keyed lid, twist then lift then twist more and remove.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@jhern88

The power steering reservoir is not keyed as you were told in the last post..

When you turn the power steering reservoir cap counterclockwise to loosen/remove.... the cap doesn't proceed upwards as you turn it and come off in your hand so to speak.

You turn the cap counterclockwise until resistance..... and then pull straight upwards on the cap. The cap will come right off..

You will think the cap is not going to come off as you are meeting resistance.. Just pull up on the cap at that point.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bump .....

Especially those with 2018 JL's, reminder ...... Do check your power steering fluid level.

Take the time to carefully read through this whole thread before you go out and check or buy/add fluid.

Yesterday, I did some work on a couple of 2018 JL's owned by local guy's. Did diff fluid and wired up some back up lights for them.. Also, swapped out an Aux battery on one.

BOTH JL's were way way low in regard to power steering fluid. One was also quite low on coolant..

Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Good information in this thread. I was impressed by the turkey baster being used to evacuate the fluids. So, for years I've always used a sprayer from one of my spray bottles since the straw gets into very small openings and can reach awkward locations. Just spray fluids into a container and refill.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good information in this thread. I was impressed by the turkey baster being used to evacuate the fluids. So, for years I've always used a sprayer from one of my spray bottles since the straw gets into very small openings and can reach awkward locations. Just spray fluids into a container and refill.
@Carolina Jeeper

Yes, this....

While I have a Turkey Baster and do use it on occasion for fluid evacuation.... I also have a stream bottle pump. Just like your "spray" bottle pump with "straw", but this one puts out a stream and not a spray...

I have had mine for years... if I remember right it was on a bottle of hornet killer solution....

You would pump / shoot a stream into a hornets nest to kill the hornets..

Now a days you buy an aerosol can that shoot the stream versus you pumping and pumping ti get the stream output and then running like hell so the hornets do not get you..

For those that want a stream versus a spray, you can probably amputate the sprayer nozzle off of a spray bottle pump so when you pump you get a stream output versus a spray..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bump .....

Especially those with 2018 and 2019 JL's.... a reminder ...... Do check your power steering fluid level.

Take the time to carefully read through this whole thread before you go out and check or buy/add fluid.

Regarding this> "MS-11655" mentioned or shown in pics in this thread.... that is the "spec number" that power steering fluid has to meet.

This one is the Mopar fluid you would use for your JL..

Power Steering Fluid
Mopar 68088485AB

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Mopar-Fluid-5127381AB-Hydraulic/dp/B0089LTVIY

Get a good light and a step stool ... Climb up and look at the backside of the reservoir..... the side facing the fire wall. If you look real close you will see the MAX MIN lines.

I had to really look close to find the lines. After I found the lines, I used a black Sharpie to make lines in corresponding places on the front of the reservoir..

When the vehicle is cold... been sitting say all night fill so the fluid level is in between the Max and Min lines..

Fast-n-Furious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
I was cleaning the garage and found a bottle of the Mopar steering fluid that I bought to top off my 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee from two years ago, bought from dealer. Turned out to be the right one used for JL.

Jeep Wrangler JL Power steering fluid IMG_3075

Checked mine and it was low, so topped off to the middle of MAX and MIN per @Rhinebeck01 's suggestion.

IMG_3077.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: