Sponsored

Power Steering Fluid Level

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
Noob question: I got my Jeep (2019 JL Sport) back from the dealer a few days ago. They performed a TSB (replacing the steering box), so they had to "mess around" with the steering fluid. I just checked and it looks like it's barely under the MIN line (when cold). Shouldn't it be between min and max? How much above the MIN line?
Is there a sensor that is going to give me a warning when the level is too low? Thanks!
Jeep Wrangler JL Power Steering Fluid Level fluid
Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
You can find a few posts here that describe a procedure to get all the air out of the box and hoses after the install. If there was any air that bubbled up the fluid would have settled.

I would expect that the dealer would be happy to top it off for you if you gave them a call and asked to stop by for a quick visit.

OP
OP
johnbyron

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
You can find a few posts here that describe a procedure to get all the air out of the box and hoses after the install. If there was any air that bubbled up the fluid would have settled.

I would expect that the dealer would be happy to top it off for you if you gave them a call and asked to stop by for a quick visit.
So that's lower than expected correct? I had a bad experience with that dealer (long story), so I definitely don't want to go back, maybe I could show up at another dealer that has a free slot.
Is the fluid available to purchase online? Maybe I can just top it off myself?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I can't speak from experience with a JL. My steering box didn't need replacement and I have not needed any fluid. I am just observing the same min max lines that you have and would fill it to near the max. Regarding my general experience with power steering resevoirs, I don't think you are hurting the system by running with the fluid level near the minimum line, the line is there to catch your attention before the fluid runs out if you have a leak etc.

I have read about others working through the procedure, which is essentially turning the wheel side to side numerous times, or just driving until it happens by itself, to get any trapped air to rise out of the system after a steering box replacement, and this does tend to lower the fluid in the reservoir.

The "MOPAR Electric Steering Pump Fluid" is available at several online vendors.

FlashGordon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR - Billet Silver, 2017 Grand Cherokee Altitude
I too had the TSB work done and after a few days checked and my fluid dropped a few times and eventually below the min line. I stopped at dealer and they topped it off bringing it right to the max line. It has now stayed exactly at the max line since.

Jeep Wrangler JL Power Steering Fluid Level Screenshot_20201112-071600_Message+

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has been at the min line since day one and the min/max lines are on the back side looking from the front ? So I marked the max level on the side and topped off to max when cold, I also added some coolant as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL Power Steering Fluid Level E82BCA37-B7FB-4FBB-8381-E5989E6C9EC1
Sponsored