Sponsored

Popping your DIY cherry

Robtdcarr

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon. 2015 Ford Explorer. 2005 HD Softail Deuce. 2017 VW Passat.
I installed my Ace rock sliders in hurricane Florence and do my own oil changes. :)

D12C76B1-271E-4E8E-A6B9-2263077C8335.jpeg
Sponsored

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
I DIY as much as I practically can as I enjoy it (usually) and I know the job is done right down to each and every bolt being torqued exactly to spec.

I just finished installing a WARN ZEON 10-S with a WARN OE Rubicon bumper plate. It was a pretty significant paint in the ass, but the results were worth it. I also intend to install my Rock Krawler 2.5” Adventure Series lift myself.

I will never bring my Jeep or GT350R anywhere for an oil change. It’s so cheap and easy on a Jeep (< $20) I can’t justify the cost of shop doing it, and the risk that it’d be done wrong. My GT350R is a massive pain to change the oil on (e.g. you’ve gotta torque the spin on filter to spec), and it’s never cheaper than $100, but the risk of having a grease monkey screw it up is just too high.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Mine was popped 37 vehicles ago. However, on the JLUR, I installed the SRC step/sliders without any assistance (they are heavy to hold in place and get the bolts inserted without crushing important body parts), mounted a 1gal Yeti Rambler to the roll bar, and today... wait for it... I did the first 5 tire rotation.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
The most I did on a vehicle before the Wrangler was change a break light bulb! Started with doing my own oil changes. Then I got the road side steps and didn't want to pay 4WP over 200 bucks to install and wire the lights up for me. Someone was kind enough to post a diy for the lights and step install and I did it myself! My main motivation was too save money for other mods. 200 bucks could go towards other things. Then I got my budget boost lift kit and put that on with a buddy. Last was my Oracle oculus headlights.

Now it's all about me installing first, getting a shop to help is a last resort. The feeling of doing it myself is great. I can speak intelligently to the mod that was made. It's funny I talk to other Wrangler owners who have a lot of mods, and they have paid for someone else to do everything little mod for them. They don't really understand what lift kit they have or where their lights run to or much of anything about how their Jeep is set up. Diy is educational and satisfying.

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Well there was the Mopar screen protector for the head unit, getting it level took forever.
Then the stubby antenna lead to the Mopar grab handles, had to dig out the silver spinney thing from the tool pile for that one.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I mounted both the front and rear license plates...all by myself! Does that count? Oh, and with aftermarket license frames!

Oh, and I replaced five wheel lug nuts with five Mopar wheel locks. One on a different wheel —per the instructions sheet.

Oh, and I replaced them floor mats with the Mopar slush mats. Oh, and the hardtop headliner!

Oh, and I stuck those Mopar entry guards. And replaced the mast antenna with a 16” stubby, without any help!

Oh, and I installed the Mopar front and rear splash guards. On both sides, per the instructions.

Oh, and I painted black the silver grille inserts. Oh, and replaced the halogen headlights with Mopar LEDs. Oh, and removed the tail lights and mounted the Rugged Ridge light guards.

Oh, and I wash and wax the Jeep myself.

But that’s where I draw the line. I ain’t touching that filthy motor...

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
DIY forever, all the way back to 78 and some exhaust mods to a 74 Datsun pickup :)
On our Jeep, I guess Dynomax muffler delete and some LED light changes and Rubi suspension for now :)

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Been wrenching since forever, it’s therapeutic for me....:). But I think I qualify for cherry popping because a couple of the things on my list, I did for the first time. Inner fenders, rear tire carrier.....;) here’s what so far......

Rock Krawler 3.5” XFactor lift
Rock Krawler no limits sway bar end links
RCV Performance front axle shafts
Adams 1310 driveshaft
Fox DualShock steering stabilizer
LOD destroyer shorty front bumper
LOD signature series rock sliders
Quadratec stealth winch
Artec front and rear inner fenders
EVO mfg tire carrier
Mopar locker wiring harnesses to wire lockers to auxiliary switches 3&4
Tazer jl mini
Custom transfer case shifter knob

I’m probably forgetting something but that’s the most of it........:whew:

Last edited:

WranglerAdvs

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Sahara, 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So far I mounted my beadlocks, did its first oil change, adjusted its steering wheel, installed a-pillar light mounts and also a tazer mini.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
So far: installed rock sliders, LED headlights and foglights, and Rubicon suspension and spacer lift.
Oh, and fixed every time the dealer screws up the 5 tire rotation. They are 3 for 3.

Sponsored

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
I’m no newbie to DIY, built a few cars and trucks but first DIY mod I did for the JL was cutting down the stinger and welding it up in to a bull bar

EE18400A-B49E-4B28-9AC1-ADF7EA141E95.jpeg

BB9FC491-D63F-463B-9058-217F5F6755F6.jpeg

21D5EC11-80B0-4DC9-9F38-C13D6625099D.jpeg

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’m no newbie to DIY, built a few cars and trucks but first DIY mod I did for the JL was cutting down the stinger and welding it up in to a bull bar

EE18400A-B49E-4B28-9AC1-ADF7EA141E95.jpeg

BB9FC491-D63F-463B-9058-217F5F6755F6.jpeg

21D5EC11-80B0-4DC9-9F38-C13D6625099D.jpeg
You did a good job, it looks store bought...:like:

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
I do some minor wood working and house maintenance. Just got my Jeep and in two weeks started with... rugged ridge door sill guards. I know. 3M and an alcohol pad. Big first step.
Then rugged ridge stubby antenna. Going from tape to use of an actual wrench. Leaps and bounds.

From there just finished Rock Slide Engineering Step Slides for my JLUR. I have literally done zero car work beyond a new battery once. I got it done including having to mod the wiring completely due to the lack of a firewall pass through in my manual transmission Jeep.

Taking a break till spring then bumpers and winch.
Were the body bolts as bad as the horror stories? My JLUR is on order and the step slides are my wifes only demand. Guessing they should be easier on new bolts, but still a bit worried already about it.

Otherwise, I really didn't wrench much until last year and still haven't done too much. Did a behind the bumper winch on my Rebel, steps, oil and general maintenance. Plan to do as much as I can on the Jeep, hopefully including lift unless I can talk the dealer into a good deal. Suspension work intimidates me a little, but I have a neighbor with a shop who is real cool about helping out, so time to get a little more dirty on this one and dive into some stuff out of my comfort zone.

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Installed the Roam Rock Rails the second day we had it, and later that week the all weather floor mats :CWL:

Also installed one of those (what I call) dis-ablelizers for the Start-Stop. Haven't changed the oil yet as I don't have enough miles.

Best,
-Tim
Sponsored