Sponsored

Poor paint coverage?

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
I was waxing the jeep today, and never noticed this. Seems to be some weird splattered paint (or lack thereof) around the rear tailgate door hinge and the bolt. Almost like the sprayer got lazy and didn’t cover it all? Anyone see this before? I circled the stuff in red.

Jeep Wrangler JL Poor paint coverage? 9D2C6A06-21F9-46F2-B8C2-717FD29DD627
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I was waxing the jeep today, and never noticed this. Seems to be some weird splattered paint (or lack thereof) around the rear tailgate door hinge and the bolt. Almost like the sprayer got lazy and didn’t cover it all? Anyone see this before? I circled the stuff in red.

Definitely show your dealer. They should fix that.

OP
OP

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
OP
OP

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
Also I noticed you can see a hairline of primer around the hinges where the paint didn’t hit on all the door hinges. But nothing concerning and only my OCD-ass would notice. I think they spray it with the doors already on. I thought they would paint each part separately, but guess not

ELJL

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Ive always wondered if it was more like a little acrylic crazing from a concentration of it in the hole…. 🤔

Sponsored

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe

Unless I am mistaken, Jeeps are painted by automated equipment...

OP
OP

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
Yeah the robots might have been lazy that day lol

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

RealMenDIY

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
It’s not that noticeable unless you’re right up close, but yeah I may show them next time I’m in. But then again do I trust them to repaint it?

I found this thread too:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bad-paint-coverage-near-door-hinges.8634/
This. I had the same on mine right off the lot. I even had minor paint chipping on tailgate hinge where the tolerance was too tight for the paint thickness. They were going to need to replace both hinges, repaint the whole tailgate and blend it to the rest of the body. I bailed at the 11th hour, I didn’t have any reassurance or confidence that they would fix the issue without creating others that my OCD ass would find. Ultimately, the body is aluminum, hinge is magnesium, no rust so no biggie. I honestly don’t even notice them now unless I’m actively looking for them.

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
My tailgate hinges look exactly like this as do my door hinges. After reading many threads here I have found that this is definitely a common.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
My tailgate hinges look exactly like this as do my door hinges. After reading many threads here I have found that this is definitely a common.
That’s good to hear. I think the clear coat is still on though? And did you just live with it?

OP
OP

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
This. I had the same on mine right off the lot. I even had minor paint chipping on tailgate hinge where the tolerance was too tight for the paint thickness. They were going to need to replace both hinges, repaint the whole tailgate and blend it to the rest of the body. I bailed at the 11th hour, I didn’t have any reassurance or confidence that they would fix the issue without creating others that my OCD ass would find. Ultimately, the body is aluminum, hinge is magnesium, no rust so no biggie. I honestly don’t even notice them now unless I’m actively looking for them.
Nice haha. And if you look at all the other hinges on the jeep you can tell they sprayed it with hinges/doors in place. Because there’s a hairline of primer (or bare metal, not sure but it’s light colored) between the hinge and the door. Def hardly noticeable but you’d think they would angle the sprayers more to get it perfect.

BstingGray

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 RAM 2500 CTD, '22 JLUR, '23 Grand Cherokee
I have a similar problem with the lack of paint on the top of the roof. The entire right half of the rear top, the white is showing thru on a black roof. The dealership has pics submitted (on 7.22) to the FCA rep for their review and approval.

OP
OP

ejewels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW - Black
I have a similar problem with the lack of paint on the top of the roof. The entire right half of the rear top, the white is showing thru on a black roof. The dealership has pics submitted (on 7.22) to the FCA rep for their review and approval.
Well they should approve it, unless it’s within “tolerances”

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I personally do not like to mess around with the factory paint, if it's not that noticable, I would bring the dealer attention to it, but leave it as is.
Sponsored