Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@Varilux did you end up ordering from netaudio.com?
No, I used the harness that was originally available from PacParts. This harness is no longer available (I just did a new search for an alternate source for this harness, and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere).

The harness from netaudio that comes closest would seem to be this one: https://netaudio.com/product/jeep-wrangler-amplifier-installation-jeep-wrangler-gladiator-jl-jlu-jt/ However, there are two things to be aware of with this harness. First, it will not be "plug-and-play." The PacParts harness came with the plugs that went right into the Alpine KTP-455. You could literally just connect everything and you were good to go. With the netaudio harness you'll still need to connect the wires at the end of the harness to the plugs that come with the Alpine KTP-455 amp. This will still be easier and cleaner than cutting into your factory harness, but it won't be as simple.
Second, the netaudio harness has resistors already installed into each channel. This is great if you are hooking up a sound processor / amp that is not that KTP- because with most amps you have to provide some resistance in the lines (otherwise, the Jeep's audio system thinks there isn't a speaker hooked up and turns off the signal to the channel). For whatever reason, the Alpine KTP-455 amp must provide its own resistance- because no resistors are needed when connecting that amp.

I notice in the notes that netaudio indicates they can make a harness built specifically for your application. It is possible they may be able to create a harness that would make the Alpine KTP-455U truly "plug and play." My guess is it would involve you sending them the plugs that come with the Alpine amp and have them directly wire them to their T-Harness.

It's really a shame the Alpine harness is no longer available through PacParts. I'm guessing Alpine noticed people have figured out you can piece together their audio upgrade system for far cheaper than they charge for the entire kit, and they're trying to make that harder to do.
Sponsored

H60Hawker#33

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I installed the Alpine PSS-23WRA this past weekend. Found on sale through an authorized Alpine dealer “Online Car Stereo” with a 10% coupon off already on sale price. 989.00 shipped and pulled the trigger since the parts cannot be bought separate on pac parts.

Previously installed a Kicker 500.1 amp under the steering column area with input tapped from upper dash speakers (LF/RT). Connected to 10” ported box and was very loud. Very happy with volume but rest of speakers had some distortion when playing loud. Figure the Alpine system could help full range speakers with crossover cutoff and the 8” for some fill bass between the 10”. Also if taking out 10” it would give some bass when it was out. The kicker is staying in but now plan to tap off of the RCA input at the Alpine sub.

Some questions for those that have installed.

1. With kicker disconnected to test the alpine, I am getting very low overall bass Bass. Red connector, with RCA, to sub input from Alpine harness coming from the radio (not connected to the speaker level input harness) as in manual. I only have the white RCA sending a signal. Nothing from the red for signal from the RCA connectors. Even with gain set to Max it is very low bass. Very disappointed as I know it is an 8” sub but it is very weak. I have a dual 8” setup in my F150 with 250 watts total that blows this one away (I know dual vs single but still..?) Something doesn’t seem right? Bass songs don’t really shake mirror or generate anything much more than the full range speakers not having a crossover cut off. When I unplug sub it is. It very noticeable even at Max gain and sub control volume at Max. Tried unhooking rca and plugging sub connector together to send signal to sub through high level input. I get no sound at all through sub connected this way. I recall the sub line being wider and thicker behind the radio almost like Alpine connected an inline LOC like device for the sub which would explain speaker level not working and rca (well one side) sending signal

2. 4 ch amp settings. What are you dip settings? Not talking crossover, manual says select dip setting for 2CH input. However, the radio harness connects behind the radio both front and rear (4ch) and sends signal to amp. Playing with settings.... 2CH mode gives no fader capability. Rear fade equals no sound. I select 4ch input on amp and get fader so signal is going to the amp. Why does Alpine suggest 2CH? I tend to think 4ch sounds fuller.

3. Input signal dip setting. Alpine says select RCA setting. Even at gain at the 9 o’clock, per manual, it sounds very high and almost ear piercing at volume 18 or so. It doesn’t have a full sound but very high. I know it should be loud but sounds too a little too much screeching high and drowns out the bass even more. Almost completely takes out sub due to the subs low volume anyways. I select to speaker level input and it lowers overall volume slightly (probably need to raise the gains) and blends better with the bass even though bass is still low. Radio bass EQ at mid point. It does not increase Bass volume just allows the low volume of sub blend better. Is the signal from the radio low level or high level? Seems to work on either setting.

Otherwise happy with the front and rear (better on speaker level input) and less distortion due to crossover when playing louder. Just not happy with sub.

What are your dip settings? Thoughts on only on sub rca sending signal and being low volume? Thought about tapping inputs at 4ch amp and using speaker level input at sub to see if that increases it to a better output level. I like bass and understand different sizes. This is certainly lower than what it should be.

Thanks for any feedback.

msandhu413

First Name
MS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
I have the basic radio unit with the knobs on my JL - which i like; since most music will be via bluetooth. But i like to able to improve the sound quality. I did upgrade all the speakers to JL Audio but that did not help much.
I need help finding the correct wire harness to add an amp and a subwoofer. What are my options. Thank you

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
I have the basic radio unit with the knobs on my JL - which i like; since most music will be via bluetooth. But i like to able to improve the sound quality. I did upgrade all the speakers to JL Audio but that did not help much.
I need help finding the correct wire harness to add an amp and a subwoofer. What are my options. Thank you
Look at alpine PWD-X5

iuseJT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
No, I used the harness that was originally available from PacParts. This harness is no longer available (I just did a new search for an alternate source for this harness, and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere).

The harness from netaudio that comes closest would seem to be this one: https://netaudio.com/product/jeep-wrangler-amplifier-installation-jeep-wrangler-gladiator-jl-jlu-jt/ However, there are two things to be aware of with this harness. First, it will not be "plug-and-play." The PacParts harness came with the plugs that went right into the Alpine KTP-455. You could literally just connect everything and you were good to go. With the netaudio harness you'll still need to connect the wires at the end of the harness to the plugs that come with the Alpine KTP-455 amp. This will still be easier and cleaner than cutting into your factory harness, but it won't be as simple.
Second, the netaudio harness has resistors already installed into each channel. This is great if you are hooking up a sound processor / amp that is not that KTP- because with most amps you have to provide some resistance in the lines (otherwise, the Jeep's audio system thinks there isn't a speaker hooked up and turns off the signal to the channel). For whatever reason, the Alpine KTP-455 amp must provide its own resistance- because no resistors are needed when connecting that amp.

I notice in the notes that netaudio indicates they can make a harness built specifically for your application. It is possible they may be able to create a harness that would make the Alpine KTP-455U truly "plug and play." My guess is it would involve you sending them the plugs that come with the Alpine amp and have them directly wire them to their T-Harness.

It's really a shame the Alpine harness is no longer available through PacParts. I'm guessing Alpine noticed people have figured out you can piece together their audio upgrade system for far cheaper than they charge for the entire kit, and they're trying to make that harder to do.

Do you think I can make the Alpine Amp work with this t harness ? Thanks

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794DSPCH3/iDatalink-HRN-DSP-CH3.html

Sponsored

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The red portion of the plug certainly appears to be identical to the one on the Pac-Parts harness, so I would think this would get you most of the way there. You'll just have to extend the wires to and from the amp and splice them to the plug that comes with the Alpine amp. If you do try this and it works, please post here- this would be a great help to anyone else adding the Alpine KTP! This is potentially a great find!

iuseJT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
The red portion of the plug certainly appears to be identical to the one on the Pac-Parts harness, so I would think this would get you most of the way there. You'll just have to extend the wires to and from the amp and splice them to the plug that comes with the Alpine amp. If you do try this and it works, please post here- this would be a great help to anyone else adding the Alpine KTP! This is potentially a great find!
If you can help me with
I have attached a few close ups of the harness. See if you can guide me in the splicing of wires to my amp in any way possible lol. I checked compatibility of the harness to my radio and it shows ok on that end. Thanks for the response! And for $30 bucks only yeah it is a great find!!! Hopefully I can get it to work... Lol I should be getting the amp and harness to me by this week and can possibly install next week..
Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system 892AEDCC-E984-45D9-BC86-A0A9BBBF99AC
Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system 170386B4-0890-4D2E-9D03-B5FE483628D1

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
iuseJT said:
I have attached a few close ups of the harness. See if you can guide me in the splicing of wires to my amp in any way possible lol. I checked compatibility of the harness to my radio and it shows ok on that end. Thanks for the response! And for $30 bucks only yeah it is a great find!!! Hopefully I can get it to work... Lol I should be getting the amp and harness to me by this week and can possibly install next week..
I searched for the PSS-23WRA manual and found it at this link: https://www.manualpdf.us/alpine/pss-23wra/manual?p=10
Page 10 (the specific page in the link) has the wiring colors in the PSS-23WRA. Since Alpine supplies the stock unit (I believe), hopefully the wire colors are the same in your harness as they are in the PSS-23WRA. In that case, you'd have all the wires identified, and you'd just need to run them similarly to the layout in the instructions. If you get really lucky, the connector at the end of that harness will plug right into the KTP amp (that would be a ridiculous stroke of luck though).

iuseJT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
I searched for the PSS-23WRA manual and found it at this link: https://www.manualpdf.us/alpine/pss-23wra/manual?p=10
Page 10 (the specific page in the link) has the wiring colors in the PSS-23WRA. Since Alpine supplies the stock unit (I believe), hopefully the wire colors are the same in your harness as they are in the PSS-23WRA. In that case, you'd have all the wires identified, and you'd just need to run them similarly to the layout in the instructions. If you get really lucky, the connector at the end of that harness will plug right into the KTP amp (that would be a ridiculous stroke of luck though).
I will keep you updated and thanks for the help!

iuseJT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
I tried reading through older posts but where did you mount the Alpine Amp? Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
iuseJT said:
I tried reading through older posts but where did you mount the Alpine Amp? Thanks
Originally I secured it above my glovebox... Later, I relocated it to under the passenger seat (where I also have an 8" powered sub). In my case (I have the 2 door), I had to trim the heater vent that runs under the seat, but everything fits just right and it's easy to access the sub and amp whenever I want to make little tweaks (I twiddled around with the high-pass filter setting switches and the gains quite a bit during the first few weeks).

iuseJT

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
Originally I secured it above my glovebox... Later, I relocated it to under the passenger seat (where I also have an 8" powered sub). In my case (I have the 2 door), I had to trim the heater vent that runs under the seat, but everything fits just right and it's easy to access the sub and amp whenever I want to make little tweaks (I twiddled around with the high-pass filter setting switches and the gains quite a bit during the first few weeks).
Thanks I will try the above glovebox method 1st. Just remove glove box and there should be space up top to mount it right?

So far the T harness I ordered seems compatible with the alpine amp due to T harness having a universal amp feature as the manual states. The color coding of the wires match the alpine amp wiring. I should be doing the install sometime this week. Thanks

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
iuseJT said:
Thanks I will try the above glovebox method 1st. Just remove glove box and there should be space up top to mount it right?

So far the T harness I ordered seems compatible with the alpine amp due to T harness having a universal amp feature as the manual states. The color coding of the wires match the alpine amp wiring. I should be doing the install sometime this week. Thanks
Great news on the harness, and to secure the amp you can try getting some velcro (the wide strip with sticky tape on either side which is available at Lowes or Home Depot). There is a plastic vent above the hole you'll have when you remove the glovebox. Alternatively, you COULD get a long zip tie and secure that way (but you want to be able to pull the amp out to make easy adjustments to the dip switches and gain knobs, and I'd only recommend zip tying once you KNOW those are all in the exact position you want for all time :^).

ggilla614

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Engineer

Where did you order the parts from? It looks like the amp is out of stock through crutchfield and sonic electronix.