Sponsored

Can I Upgrade Basic Head Unit with a Plug N Play?

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I have the basic ( I think 5") head unit in my JLU. If I purchase the larger screen (7/8") out of a wreck, is it plug and play, or will I need a dealer to flash something? What if I order a headunit from mopar parts online, is it plug n play then? TIA!
Sponsored

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
I have the basic ( I think 5") head unit in my JLU. If I purchase the larger screen (7/8") out of a wreck, is it plug and play, or will I need a dealer to flash something? What if I order a headunit from mopar parts online, is it plug n play then? TIA!
This is a great question for the guys at infotainment.com. There's a video (somewhere) of them upgrading a 5 inch to an 8.4 inch. It worked BUT since the 5 inch radio did NOT have the radio controls / HVAC combo panel, you had to control the radio with the touch screen or the buttons on the steering wheel.

I was looking at going from 7 inch to 8.4 the price used to be 1600ish, now I see it's closer to 2300ish. I'll stick with my 7 inch.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
As stated above you will lose the control knobs. If you buy a new unit it will be plug and play, if you get a used unit you will need the unlock code, a four digit code to unlock the radio when installed in a different vehicle, make sure you get the code as the radio is useless without it.

I’ve changed the radio in mine twice, the first time I swapped out for a 5 inch radio with SXM, the second time for a seven inch radio. You can upgrade the HVAC control to one with the proper knobs but that involves reprogramming the Jeep for the new control.
Gregj

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
8.4” units are getting tough to come by and as far as I know, you can only order them new through infotainment rather than Mopar. Don’t hold me to that though. OCCASIONALLY you’ll see one up for grabs in the member market place - but they go quick.
You can find a 7” in the member market place regularly. Whatever you do - please don’t buy a 8.4” from infotainment. The price they’re asking is absurd and only going to get worse.
Jeep Wrangler JL Can I Upgrade Basic Head Unit with a Plug N Play? D5F7EE26-D663-435C-97B3-56785393B107
Sponsored