Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
Lol TJ... I have read and re-read what you just wrote 5 times and cant figure out what you are saying. Therefore, Im going to try to connect them like the OP and this pix shows.
Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system 2020-07-06 09_47_45-(8) What is this wire_ _ 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL _ JLU) - Rubicon,
Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system 2020-07-06 09_49_09-(8) What is this wire_ _ 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL _ JLU) - Rubicon,
Sponsored

winchreadyAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I decided to go with a new HU instead, so I have the main and t-harness brand new In the bag. Also have 2 pair of 3.5” kicker speakers (plug and play). DM me if interested.

(2nd edit: all items sold. Thanks)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
LanceM said:
Lol TJ... I have read and re-read what you just wrote 5 times and cant figure out what you are saying. Therefore, Im going to try to connect them like the OP and this pix shows.
Let me know what you figure out. As I mentioned earlier, only one set of wires provided any signal (but because I made my own harness, I really don't know if it's the brown or the orange wires- I think it is the brown though). I can say I've hooked my sub up both ways (using the speaker level inputs from both left and right speakers AND using the low power signal of the orange / brown wires through RCA jacks), and both of them provide the same performance (in fact the single RCA that provides signal may be a bit better than the speaker level inputs).

Best of luck!
Pete

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
It's all wired up and using both brown and orange wires. Ran into some trouble when I removed my high to low level converter as I had forgot I created the remote power on wire for me. I had already run the speaker wires, tucked and zip tied them all up and then had to run the remote wire to the head unit as well. Oh well.

I did test both orange and brown wires and both provided signal. So I don't know what could be happening with your setup Pete.

Thank you for all the hard work of putting all of this together and figuring out the amp and harnesses. It's much appreciated.

Sadly after I got done working in the south Texas heat, I got a little light headed and haven't done a drive test yet, but the jeep was rocking in the garage. Remember to hydrate if your out in the heat!! Dumb on my part.

LanceM

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
2020-07-06 09_47_45-(8) What is this wire_ _ 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL _ JLU) - Rubicon, ...jpg
2020-07-06 09_49_09-(8) What is this wire_ _ 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL _ JLU) - Rubicon, ...png
those are the original RCA wire for the sub. The ground on the wire harness is for the 445u, you have to ground the sub seperately, if wsing a dittrent sub then the alpine sub

Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I already have replaced everything else in place and per @Varilux I plan on taping into the wires preamp and running those from the passenger seat to the drivers seat for the powered sub. Looks like the sub I want to use is just slightly smaller than that kicker one. Just curious is the wiring was difficult with the seat rails and the vent. Here is the sub I’m thinking of using:

https://www.amazon.com/Cerwin-Power...=1593878678&sprefix=cerwin+vega+powere&sr=8-8
My ears are kinda shot too,from years of being a Fireams instructor, so I sort of know about the hearing thing and if you don't believe me, just ask my wife.
Anyway, the sub wasn't that bad to install,I had to find a way to get the power wire from the Alpine 445u, to the 4 gauge power wire under the drivers seat, also the spealer wires, and blue turn on wire, for the sub.. The picture of the red fish wire on the sub, is the spot I ran it, also there is a ground right thier,,under the drivers seat, for the sub..
Anyone using the alpine harness, the 445u is grounded by the harness,so I just had to run a 12 gauge power wire, as per Varilux. I lucked out when Emgeesea was kind enough to give me the RCA sub cable, for the Alpine harness.
I hooked up the blue turn on wire to the subs blue&white turn on wire in the harness.
I used fuse holders, with 15 amp fues,on both, the amp and sub.

Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system wire run

Last edited:

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wanted to show the wiring up I did with the sub and Alpine 445u. I found out that just taking off the negitive battery cable does not work,so Quadratec vide is wrong on that and I'm sorry for saying that, darn ESS junk!
I used heat shrink and but end conectors. I know it looks like spaghetti, I have to mount the 445u, but it's working.

445-1.jpg

445-2.jpg

445-3.jpg

cable fuse.jpg

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Da! Question here, has anyone found the offical way, to cut power on the JL?
I have PTSD, over finding out that the Quadratec video was wrong, when he said, first we take off the negitive battery cable,DA!DA!

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
If you have the 2.0 dont you have the extra battery? But the 3.6 doesnt correct? I have seen a few videos on how to actually kill the power on the 2.0, which is done at 3 different points under the hood...
On a side note, at some point in time, we are going to figure out how to remove this battery, similar to the nutter done to the old 4.0 (4.2) liter engines...
Till then... ug...

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
Put in my Infinity Reference 6.5 speakers in the front dash... Dual coaxial speakers, and added sound damping along with pillow stuffing...

I won't lie, I can hear the difference and this was the only upgrade I have done in the last couple of days, so it's not a combo of other things impacting it.

While it was about a 1.5 hour process (prob a little shorter for me since I have already replaced the dash panels before and its 90% all of that process), I believe that is worth the effort.

Now just waiting for the SSV panels for the sound bar... Think I'm going to do it on the jeep... But I'm not looking forward to lining the boxes with sound proofing material and vacuuming the jeep afterward.... We shall see what happens!

LanceM

Sponsored

OP
OP
Varilux

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
LanceM said:
Now just waiting for the SSV panels for the sound bar... Think I'm going to do it on the jeep... But I'm not looking forward to lining the boxes with sound proofing material and vacuuming the jeep afterward.... We shall see what happens!
LanceM
I'll be ordering the kick panels soon (thinking of going with Focal components to get a little more high end directed at my ears)- I'd be really happy if it takes me under two hours!

Regarding cutting the soundbar, I initially tried my Dremel, but I found a hacksaw (I have a small hacksaw that is about 7" long) did an amazingly good job and created very little to sweep up.

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
I do believe the highs are cut off to the knee speakers but that could be my poor ears.

Let me know what you find

LanceM

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have the 2.0 dont you have the extra battery? But the 3.6 doesnt correct? I have seen a few videos on how to actually kill the power on the 2.0, which is done at 3 different points under the hood...
On a side note, at some point in time, we are going to figure out how to remove this battery, similar to the nutter done to the old 4.0 (4.2) liter engines...
Till then... ug...
I have the 3.6 with ESS and I think it's the ESS battery that's providing power. I seen the 123 method but people were posting they were having problem with sparks and noises,
I am disapionted with the video from Quadratec.
how did you do with the sub? I posted the photo's of the connection for my sub. I ran the females RCA'S, for my sub, to the alpine harness with the male RCA's.
The yellow wire is the powe,r from the blue 4 gauge wire, under my drivers seat for the 445u.

Last edited:

winchreadyAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Yes. ESS has the hidden battery regardless of engine. Here's a good video that describes the whole thing. 3:00 minutes into it shows you exactly how to disconnect BOTH batteries.

Jeep JL Batteries

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
Got bored waiting for the ssv 6.5 brackets to come in and started building a new sub box.. Disappointed in the lack of sub boxes for 2 door JLs so I built my own. Box is complete just need to nail down how to keep it level and steady. Once that is done, I will take it and have it linex'ed here at the shop around the corner.

Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system IMG_20200710_224832
Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system IMG_20200710_224828
Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system IMG_20200710_224754
Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system IMG_20200710_224749
Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system IMG_20200710_224728
Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system IMG_20200710_224723
Sponsored