Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
Let me start by saying this is an amazing upgrade. I already had upgrades to the 8" radio and the put infinity reference speakers in the dash 3.5 inch and replaced the sound bar with 5.25s. I have also added a 10" subwoofer to the jeep in the cargo area and used a line level converter at the b pillar to tap into for the amp under the passenger seat. All of this before the upgrade of adding the amp.

Rereading the entire thread once the amp and wiring harnesses came in, paid a lot more attention to the sub part of this thread as I had an existing sub already. As some of you might know or guess, the dip switch's play a very important part for me as I am getting line level signal from the high level wires for the sound bar at the base of the b pillar.

Knowing this, I had to readjust the dip switch's to allow for full signal (no filter) for the rear speakers. The installation is literally the easiest install I've done except maybe replacing the front 3.5 speakers. I had a small issue with no sound but that was due to a bad ground tape (I HATE those little blue taps, and they hate me) but it was figured out, I had delicious sound. Like the OP wanted, I mounted the amp with zip ties to the ducting above the glove box impressed it fit. Remounted the radio and looked at the ton of access wire I was going to have to hide. Well, again to my surprise it all fit, tucked behind the glove box. All took less than an hour.

Now for my issue and my question. My only issue is my sub plays for about 5 seconds and cuts out for 5 seconds, repeats forever. This is an issue. I believe it is because of the line level converter after the amp. I am waiting on speaker wire to RCA Jack's that should be in tomm to remove the line level converter completely and run the wires to the red output side of the radio. I believe this will solve my 5 second issue and allow me to readjust the dip switch's allowing me to cut the bass to the rear speakers.

My question is about the subwoofer output. There are 4 wires, implying 2 channels. But from what I have read, it appears only the brown wires have signal, which means mono, but we know that works for bass. So my question is, does anyone know what the orange wires purpose is??

I played with disconnecting the sub wires while testing everything but nothing appears to be impacted by connecting or disconnecting the sub wires. So I cut the input side harness off, and I am going to wire it to my RCA Jack's tomm and just wanted to get it all correct and double check with the experts here before.

Again, great upgrade. Super ease for even a novice to start with.

LanceM
Sponsored

Last edited:

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
Oh and based on this thread, I have ordered the ssv enclosures as well as the front leg enclosures with 2 pair of infinity 6.5 speakers. I'm motivated to replace the leg speakers lol, not. I did order 2 different 6.5s, one dual cone set and 1 component set. Where do the masses suggest I use them?

LanceM

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Oh and based on this thread, I have ordered the ssv enclosures as well as the front leg enclosures with 2 pair of infinity 6.5 speakers. I'm motivated to replace the leg speakers lol, not. I did order 2 different 6.5s, one dual cone set and 1 component set. Where do the masses suggest I use them?

LanceM
I kept it simple by using the alpine 23 WRA T harness and wire harness. I put in the Kickers Dart 3.5 front and sound bar,plug and play easy.
For the sub, I used the Kicker 10 powered sub.
I did have a little problem with the remote blue wire, had a bad conection.

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
What wires did you use for the sub?

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What wires did you use for the sub?
If you use the Alpine T harness and wire harness the low pass RCA connector(see video on 23WRA) I posted on this forum.
I also want to thank Varilux for working all of this out and Emgeesea for giving me the RCA conector from his Alpine PSS 23WRA install and also his forum post!

Sponsored

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
You are explaining to me what you used for the subwoofer, but you are not clear on where you connected those too? This is my question.

Hope this clarifies what Im asking :)

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are explaining to me what you used for the subwoofer, but you are not clear on where you connected those too? This is my question.

Hope this clarifies what Im asking :)
On the Alpine wire harness, there is the red connector for the plug in RCA male conector,,which goes to the sub woofer. The video on this forum will show it to you. Emgeesea used the stock radio with his PSS-23WRA kit, so he had an extra RCA cable conector and was nice enough to send it to me, Pacparts has the RCA cables, but they were on back order, so,Emgeesea sent me his, that was leftover.

Last edited:

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
I guess Im swinging and missing with my question or am not clear. I still don't know what you are connecting the subwoofer too, other than a red connector you want me to watch a video for instead of just explaining it?

I realize there is a red connector. And that is for the subwoofer. What my specific question has been is what is the orange/brown wires purpose? And how have you guys been using those 4 wires.

I will go watch the video and hope that it explains it for me, since the question can't be answered here.

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
I can now understand why we are having a disconnect.

You have a powered subwoofer like what is shown in the video Im going to guess, and I have the amp like the OP is speaking about. I do not have the powered subwoofer.

So the harness I have ordered (like the OP did, the t-harness), does not have a red subwoofer connection at the AMP side like the subwoofer/amp combo has. So I do not have a place to properly connect the red connector to RCA cables like you would down at the amp/sub. I have only the red connectors located behind the radio. Now to make the same basic connector as shown in the video, I have cut the sub out or connector to the AMP off and plan to splice into it the RCA cables, which would make a similar connection to what you used at the your amp/sub.

I guess where the confusion over what the function is over the wiring colors is there is a pair of brown wires and a pair of orange wires, the OP stated on page 4 I believe that he was only getting low level sound out of the brown wires. and nothing from the orange wire. Now this conflicts with the video as the brown wires are left side audio and the orange wires are right side audio (maybe backwards, but Im not going to rewatch it). Both of these directly conflict with each other, and lead to my question for people who have done this install. What is the function of the brown wires/orange wires. Does anyone know the answer?

LanceM

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can now understand why we are having a disconnect.

You have a powered subwoofer like what is shown in the video Im going to guess, and I have the amp like the OP is speaking about. I do not have the powered subwoofer.

So the harness I have ordered (like the OP did, the t-harness), does not have a red subwoofer connection at the AMP side like the subwoofer/amp combo has. So I do not have a place to properly connect the red connector to RCA cables like you would down at the amp/sub. I have only the red connectors located behind the radio. Now to make the same basic connector as shown in the video, I have cut the sub out or connector to the AMP off and plan to splice into it the RCA cables, which would make a similar connection to what you used at the your amp/sub.

I guess where the confusion over what the function is over the wiring colors is there is a pair of brown wires and a pair of orange wires, the OP stated on page 4 I believe that he was only getting low level sound out of the brown wires. and nothing from the orange wire. Now this conflicts with the video as the brown wires are left side audio and the orange wires are right side audio (maybe backwards, but Im not going to rewatch it). Both of these directly conflict with each other, and lead to my question for people who have done this install. What is the function of the brown wires/orange wires. Does anyone know the answer?

LanceM
If you go back to the main forum,you will see at the top Jeep wiring diagram

Sponsored

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
TJ I appreciate the bread crumbs you keep providing. Go here, watch this, read this, go see this, etc. But if you know the answer, just say it. My guess is now, you can't know since you did something completely different than I or OP did. Otherwise you would provide a very clear answer.

Thing is, once this pac double harness is installed, nothing in a factory harness write up is going to tell me could possibly be more important than someone who has done exactly what I have done, using the same harnesses and amp as I have. Their experience is more valuable at this point than a factory wiring diagram.

The OP clearly says he got sound only from one channel. Did anyone who used the same thing as he did experience only getting one channel.

LanceM

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ I appreciate the bread crumbs you keep providing. Go here, watch this, read this, go see this, etc. But if you know the answer, just say it. My guess is now, you can't know since you did something completely different than I or OP did. Otherwise you would provide a very clear answer.

Thing is, once this pac double harness is installed, nothing in a factory harness write up is going to tell me could possibly be more important than someone who has done exactly what I have done, using the same harnesses and amp as I have. Their experience is more valuable at this point than a factory wiring diagram.

The OP clearly says he got sound only from one channel. Did anyone who used the same thing as he did experience only getting one channel.

LanceM
Sorry I wasn't sure if you were using the pac harness,so yis, it would seem like hanzel and gretel.
If you read my post and watch the Alpine wire harness in stall ,you will see the conector for the sub, it's the female conector!

sub conect.jpg

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
Yes those are the wire colors I would enjoy someone who has installed the amp to verify that they both provide low level signal or like the OP said was only getting signal from one of the pair. But unlike what you are assuming TJ, I do not have that connection on my amp side like the video and your picture has. My T Harness subwoofer connection does not terminate at my amp like your amplified subwoofer harness does with the red connector there. Mine is behind the radio only and is merely a male and female 4 pin connectors. Again for clarity, I do not have this connection in your pix.

The factory wiring harness's provide nothing in terms of the PAC harness colors for either the standard or premium wiring that match the custom harness combo I have. Dead end there.

LanceM

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bigredpawdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2d
Occupation
System Admin
Jeep Wrangler JL Plug and Play amp upgrade to basic system 2020-07-06

This is the female side I have cut and expect to wire into my RCA cables. Since nobody can confirm or deny what the OP said about only getting one side working, I will leave it open ended and determine myself if one or both of the pairs provide signal. Best answer is the one you conclude on your own I guess.

Thanks for the help.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get the RCA cables with two males, then conect the wires with the two colors( black stripes) with the wires you cut.
I don't think it matters, right or left side on a sub, by the way the solid color goes with the solid color and one side one RCA and then the other. sorry both ,the alpine has a r&l
Sponsored

Last edited: