sarum87

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7
Vehicle Showcase
I have a two door soft top. The maximum cargo weight listed on the sticker on the door, including passengers, is only 700 lbs. Wondering how important this weight limitation is? Is if for the tires or driveline or axels or all the above? For those of you that are using your Jeeps for overland adventures how are you dealing with this weight issues? After I add up 2 passengers, my Gobi rack, winch, under body armor, fridge, water, etc... Iā€™m over weight limit. Thanks
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
You can beef up the suspension to handle more weight. Old Man Emu either makes or will soon make a lift with springs designed for the heavier loadout typical of overlanders.

In the mean time, I'd do everything possible to keep the weight as minimal as you can. I'm not recommending it, but overlanding Jeeps are pretty commonly loaded past the factory capacity limits. Just be careful if you do it, because it not only puts more strain on the drive train, but it also can cause the handling to change. Braking distance also increases. Unless you have a Rubi or Sahara with the big brake package, I'd consider larger brakes, too.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
People overload GVWR all the time. Not necessarily recommended but with a vehicle like the Wrangler it's easy to do.

Do what you can to negate body roll (stiffer springs, upgraded sway bar, proper tire pressure) and drive defensively like you're pulling a trailer. Increase distances, drive a bit slower, don't try to corner like a sports car and compression braking is your friend.

Sponsored

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
you can do the easier route and buy a M101 trailer and turn it into an overland hauler. it can hold 3/4 ton which is more then enough to haul your gear.

Reactions: GtX

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

How long are you going out there that you have to have a fridge with you? Seems like a yeti cooler would be sufficient and save a bunch of weight and hassle.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How long are you going out there that you have to have a fridge with you? Seems like a yeti cooler would be sufficient and save a bunch of weight and hassle.
The fridge actually isn't heavier than a cooler when you account for ice. I've run both and if it is heavier, it would only be slightly. I've never actually weighed it, but for the same amount of food, I'm pretty convinced it may be lighter than a cooler and ice. Of course, I'm not running a sliding tray/mount, so I don't know how much that kind of system would weigh, if he's got one.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
I've owned my ARB fridge a few years now. Would be hard to go back to regular ice based cooler. Ice based cooler ok for a day trip.

Someone mentioned an off-road trailer. I thought the 2dr JL Wranglers were not rated for towing. Don't forget to include fuel in the gvwr calculations.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
Someone mentioned an off-road trailer. I thought the 2dr JL Wranglers were not rated for towing. Don't forget to include fuel in the gvwr calculations.
2dr Rubicon has the option for the trailer tow group. so yes they can tow its the same as the 4 door 3500 pound towing. but really i wouldn't go over 2500 in a stock jeep.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've owned my ARB fridge a few years now. Would be hard to go back to regular ice based cooler. Ice based cooler ok for a day trip.

I actually dunno but my neighbor hauls water (don't recall exact gallons) on a 5x8' with an '03 TJ and says if he's not careful he's popping a wheelie....so watch that tongue weight ;)

As for the cooler/fridge debate I agree a fridge can't be much heavier after ice....AT MOST 10, maybe 15 pounds and probably not that much. I know it all adds up but 10 pounds isn't going to make or break the OP's issue(s)

sportsguy

First Name
duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JLU Rubicon w/a snail
Occupation
Marketing
Going over the recommended weight limit affects safety before mechanical bits. Braking distances increase, handling decreases, roll increases, etc.

The weight rating also exists to protect the manufacturer - each vehicle is tested to perform safely at leas than the max rating. Go over that and they will point to the number and claim you overloaded it.
The mechanical bits in even the most entry level Sport can easily handle weights over the printed limits - to a point.

In fact, you could argue a Willys, for example, is better able to handle weight than. Rubicon - more options add weight, meaning less capacity for YOU to add more.

And as noted, folks overload rigs all the time.

If Iā€™m rockinā€™ a 2dr, Iā€™d consider a small lift and see what the springs are rated for - Iā€™m looking for springs with a high weight limit. And shocks to match. Iā€™m less concerned with added height - someone mentioned ARB, and thatā€™s a company with decades of overlanding experience, and they tend to focus on reliability and safety over lift heights. Itā€™s pricey gear, however, so lots of research may uncover other options that meet the goals. Do not be afraid to call a company directly, too, and talk to them about your goals and concerns to see what they recommend.

Foster_WV

First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ & JLU
Overlanding Has Become Overloading

90s Bolt On Honda Guys have grown up to be Overlanders

#keepcampingsimple

LoL seriously tho we all overpack and get sucked in by the gadgets

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Overlanding Has Become Overloading

90s Bolt On Honda Guys have grown up to be Overlanders

#keepcampingsimple

LoL seriously tho we all overpack and get sucked in by the gadgets
Lol, I am a real sucker for at least the electronic kind. For the Jeep, though, if I camp, it is a Walmart instant tent and Chinese folding chairs that take up almost no space at all. I'm actually pretty impressed with myself for the discipline I've shown with my two Jeeps in keeping weight down. Trust me, it's hard. I see all these cool bumpers, air compressors, shelves, hi lift and tool mounts, roof racks, rooftop tents, and more and I have to fight the urge until I mash the gas and realize my Jeep is still light and quick and sure footed and I want to keep it that way.

Foster_WV

First Name
Foster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ & JLU
Lol, I am a real sucker for at least the electronic kind. For the Jeep, though, if I camp, it is a Walmart instant tent and Chinese folding chairs that take up almost no space at all. I'm actually pretty impressed with myself for the discipline I've shown with my two Jeeps in keeping weight down. Trust me, it's hard. I see all these cool bumpers, air compressors, shelves, hi lift and tool mounts, roof racks, rooftop tents, and more and I have to fight the urge until I mash the gas and realize my Jeep is still light and quick and sure footed and I want to keep it that way.
Iā€™m too a sucker for gadgets especially electronic and cooking. Itā€™s just last few years everyone is overloading their vehicles, keep it simple.

I can go super light but also built a expo/camping trailer for the cool factor of glamping. The one thing Iā€™ve gravitated to is setting up camp then exploring in a empty Jeep.

No matter how ya go atleast you are getting out!

6AD30B8D-855B-40A7-A757-4978BE118466.jpeg
Sponsored