Sponsored

Trailer overlanding

catortega3881

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU, BMW M4, Porsche Macan GTS
Man. This is awesome! Well done. đź‘Źđź‘Ź

I built a small trailer for overlanding that can be pulled behind my Jeep. The base of the tub is 40" x 50" (the old WWII trailers were 40" x 72"). It is built off a modified trailer frame I got at Harbor Freight. I had the tub built by a company that makes dog hunting boxes for trucks. It has literally been across the country more than once, and up to Alaska and Canada more than once. The trailer's track width is the same as on the flatty, narrower than the TJ's, and even more so compared to the JLU. Definitely easy to thread between trees - it can go wherever the Jeep goes. I'm running a pintle-hitch set up (I also have a rotating pintle hitch - it is a NATO hitch).

There's nothing fancy about the tub - just a box with a hinged lid. I had it made tall enough so two 8-gallon ActionPackers could stack on top of each other, and the lid still be able to close. It is amazing how much stuff I can put in this lil' adventure trailer of mine.

Build thread (and then some): Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread | Jeep Enthusiast Forums (jeepforum.com)

It is plenty sturdy, and not expensive to build. Send me a PM if you have any questions. If you're in the PNW and want to see it up-close, let me know. The factory slipper springs have been swapped out for real springs with a shackle on the rear, the axle is a 3500lb axle with electric brakes, and it has shock absorbers.

I've yet to pull it behind my new 23 Willys JLU. I've got the towing package, but I don't have a brake controller for it yet (I need to see if the 7-pin connector on the JLU will still work the brake lights/running lights and turn signals if there's no brake controller). But here's a picture of it behind my TJ, and behind my other Willys Jeep.

That's a Cabela's double sized tent-cot on the lid of the trailer.

Arctic Trip.3.jpg

CA pre-run.2 (3).jpg

Overland Adventure.6.jpg

Overland Adventure.7.1.jpg

Overland adventure.10.jpg

Willys and trailer.6 (2).jpg
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Hmmm... I'm interested. Thanks! I didn't know this thing existed.

A little more expensive than the redarc controller, but no need to drill into my JL's dashboard and go pulling dash panels.

Autowbrake Electric Brake Controller - Trailer Mount w/ Remote Fob - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional Autowbrake Trailer Brake Controller 3430001
Yup, if you’ve got a junction box already, it’s probably a 10 minute install. Mount with included self tappers , and nut on the 5 (IIRC) wires in the J-box. Calibration takes an extra hand, but it’s just holding the brake pedal and pushing two buttons.

This is mine for size comparison, 2” frame tube. (Excuse the sticker I still need to clean off).

To convert to 4 pin from 7 pin, you simply swap the power wire from the B+ to the running lights and run the running lights when you’re towing.

A4220875-55EB-4387-B8F5-CD4838318048.jpeg

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
Haven't read all the pages...

Only way I'd ever pull a trailer off road is if I could sleep in it. Otherwise I'll tent camp or, go with a RTT (not a fan of being up that high). Never understood why people would want to pull a trailer you can't sleep in but that's what makes the world go round

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
My wife and I use this trailer I built a few years ago.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer overlanding IMG_0948
Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer overlanding IMG_1630

Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Here’s my homemade squarish drop, timbrens on 37s.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer overlanding C46C0936-400F-45B2-AC5A-AA0A8D4CEA84
Damn, for a minute I thought I was somewhere I did not remember with my rig. Looks good, love the trailer.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Haven't read all the pages...

Only way I'd ever pull a trailer off road is if I could sleep in it. Otherwise I'll tent camp or, go with a RTT (not a fan of being up that high). Never understood why people would want to pull a trailer you can't sleep in but that's what makes the world go round
Ours has a king sized RTT on it. A RTT on top of your rig is a pain in the ass if you ever stay for multiple days. It's not fun having to pack it up for every little trip.

ArmyRN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ2A, 1998 Jeep TJ, 2023 Willys JLU
I finally got the hitch set up how I wanted it, so I hooked up the lil' trailer and took it for a spin. The 2.0T pulls it just fine, and it stops it fine even without a brake controller (which I will get before I take the Jeep and trailer on an adventure).
Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer overlanding 20230502_160322
Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer overlanding 20230502_160359
Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer overlanding 20230502_160442

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer overlanding 20230502_160558

Last edited:

MaximusW

First Name
Maximus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 4xe Rubicon X (Anvil)
Occupation
Creative Director
I'm so impressed with the custom builds shared on this thread. Wish I possessed the tools, skillset and patience for a custom build.

Based on my past experience, I'll be doing the "drop the trailer off at base camp and go wheeling" approach. Currently waiting on both my '24 Rubicon 4xe and my AntiShanty AS-1 Limited trailer to be built. Hope to be ready to roll by the end of summer.

Jeep Wrangler JL Trailer overlanding Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 3.13.45 PM
Sponsored