Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Thread has been cleaned up from all the juvenile sniping and fighting (not to mention off-topic posts). Offending members have also been warned and banned from the thread.
Sponsored

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
I was just there towards the end of July and I thought it was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Reminded me a lot of being in the Alps (except with all the Jeeps - ha). I can't wait to go back.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
I was just there towards the end of July and I thought it was one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Reminded me a lot of being in the Alps (except with all the Jeeps - ha). I can't wait to go back.
Side-by-sides outnumbered the Jeeps when I was there. It was a little annoying having to pull over what seemed like every 10 minutes to let them pass.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ditto...we were there back in June. Lots of trail closures due to snow though, which was unfortunate. The Last Dollar Road was spectacular!
Last Dollar Road was on my list, but sadly I didn't have the time to get to it. I did Ophir and then headed up to Alta Lakes all loaded up in overland mode with plans to hit LDR next. Unfortunately, the weight was too much for my suspension. I had to switch up my plans and find another place to stay for a couple of nights so I could unload my gear. I ended up driving to Lake City to stay. I need to lighten up my gear next time. Most stuff I didn't even touch. Live and learn.

Sponsored

jimmyzwheelz

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2DR
Last Dollar Road was on my list, but sadly I didn't have the time to get to it. I did Ophir and then headed up to Alta Lakes all loaded up in overland mode with plans to hit LDR next. Unfortunately, the weight was too much for my suspension. I had to switch up my plans and find another place to stay for a couple of nights so I could unload my gear. I ended up driving to Lake City to stay. I need to lighten up my gear next time. Most stuff I didn't even touch. Live and learn.
Lake City is a great place also. Looking forward to going back to Colorado soon!

clayps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Ditto...we were there back in June. Lots of trail closures due to snow though, which was unfortunate. The Last Dollar Road was spectacular!

Ouray.jpg
Was in Ouray in early June as well. My second trip out there in my stock JK. We made it up Yankee Boy Basin as far as we could. Crazy the amount of snow that was still up there. I also did some tame forest roads near our camp at Ampitheater CG which were lots of fun. Truly one of my favourite places.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Got back from a week long adventure in Ouray, CO. It's my new favorite place on the planet. The views are stunning.

Yankee Boy Basin
IMG_3313.JPG

Yankee Boy Basin
IMG_3317.JPG

Ophir Pass
IMG_3388.JPG

Ophir Pass
IMG_3406.JPG

Corkscrwew Gulch
IMG_3447.JPG

Corkscrew Gulch
IMG_3482.JPG

Hurricane Pass
IMG_3512.JPG

Animas Forks
IMG_3524.JPG

Animas Forks
IMG_3546.JPG

Engineer Pass
IMG_3625.JPG

Imogene Pass
IMG_3679.JPG

Imogene Pass
IMG_3733.JPG

IMG_3872.JPG

Picayune & Placer Gulch
IMG_3903.JPG
We were there a month ago and Imogene was closed. It looks like it's open now? I wanted to get to that hole in the rock :(
You've got pics from the same places we did... lol.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It was interesting to note that when we were there the dominant model of Jeep was the TJ and I swear 90% of the people in them were of retirement age.
Silverton is really cool , the old main street (old red light district) is actually still dirt.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@D60 (and others), can you recommend a rental shop anywhere in the San Juan that could also provide a guide? I'm going to be up that way early October to do some photography, and I'm pretty much going to be a noob at wheeling. Was hoping to find someone that could help me develop some solid basic skills while taking in some great scenery.

I'll be based out of Pagosa, but plan to be all over SW Colorado. I was specifically thinking of some of the drives mentioned on this thread.
I'm sorry I'm no help with guides. You can try to PM me around the time. I'm mostly a Durango boy and my dad's based in Pagosa

However, go check out Wheeler Geological if you have time! Call to make sure it's open, it was closed earlier this year. The online TripAdvisor-esque accounts of a "very very rough road" are greatly exaggerated.

I actually might like to go hit Wheeler, been wanting to show the gf.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We were there a month ago and Imogene was closed. It looks like it's open now? I wanted to get to that hole in the rock :(
You've got pics from the same places we did... lol.
Yes, Imogene opened up a couple of weeks ago. Black Bear opened a couple of days ago. Looks like they are all open now.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
And...what's wrong with that??
Nothing... it was just an observation.
Around where I live you don't see that pretty much at all. We met and befriended a retired couple with a killer very built TJ that we befriended... we like old people too.

jimmyzwheelz

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon 2DR
Nothing... it was just an observation.
Around where I live you don't see that pretty much at all. We met and befriended a retired couple with a killer very built TJ that we befriended... we like old people too.
Thanks...it just sounded odd the way it was posted. Most of us "old folks" aren't too bad to be around. :like:
Sponsored