Ouray is Seriously Epic

unconfirmed

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Soon)
I'm sorry I'm no help with guides. You can try to PM me around the time. I'm mostly a Durango boy and my dad's based in Pagosa

However, go check out Wheeler Geological if you have time! Call to make sure it's open, it was closed earlier this year. The online TripAdvisor-esque accounts of a "very very rough road" are greatly exaggerated.

I actually might like to go hit Wheeler, been wanting to show the gf.
Thanks man! Will do! I appreciate it!
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, Imogene opened up a couple of weeks ago. Black Bear opened a couple of days ago. Looks like they are all open now.
We hit Moab before Ouray and I was in love. Ouray is gorgeous but the off roading in Moab is amazing. They are only 3 hours apart.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Bucket list item for me for sure. How long did the drive take you?

Talking about crowds? I think it's funny, but every set of pictures I see I don't see any other people or Jeeps present.
Unlike the Summit of Everest.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 02 BMW M3, 91 BMW E30
We hit Moab before Ouray and I was in love. Ouray is gorgeous but the off roading in Moab is amazing. They are only 3 hours apart.
I hope to hit both Moab and Ouray next year. Moab is the priority though. Just depends on my work schedule.

Sponsored

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bucket list item for me for sure. How long did the drive take you?

Talking about crowds? I think it's funny, but every set of pictures I see I don't see any other people or Jeeps present.
Unlike the Summit of Everest.
It took me 2.5 days. I did about 8-9 hours a day.

I waited until all the intruders left the scene before snapping pics for the most part. The only trail I felt was crowded was Yankee Boy Basin and I did that on a Saturday morning - probably peak time. Animas Forks had a number of visitors but it wasn't too bad.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I hope to hit both Moab and Ouray next year. Moab is the priority though. Just depends on my work schedule.
You won't regret it. We were there the week after 4th of July and had the place to ourselves. On Poison Spider we saw two other Jeeps and heard one off in the distance during the 5 hours we were on it.
If you happen to get to Sedona, Broken Arrow is a fun trail as well. You can see pics of our adventure down below in my link in my info.
We liked Moab so much we are moving there next year. No joke, my wife's health issues all but disappeared because of the aridness and low humidity. We are going back in January to start looking around and to see how she does in the winter. We plan on driving that one straight through with a bed in the back of the Jeep :)

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You won't regret it. We were there the week after 4th of July and had the place to ourselves. On Poison Spider we saw two other Jeeps and heard one off in the distance during the 5 hours we were on it.
If you happen to get to Sedona, Broken Arrow is a fun trail as well. You can see pics of our adventure down below in my link in my info.
We liked Moab so much we are moving there next year. No joke, my wife's health issues all but disappeared because of the aridness and low humidity. We are going back in January to start looking around and to see how she does in the winter. We plan on driving that one straight through with a bed in the back of the Jeep :)
That's awesome. I would move out there in a heartbeat if I could. How was the weather there in July?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's awesome. I would move out there in a heartbeat if I could. How was the weather there in July?
HOT low to mid 90s while we were there and then hit 100 when we left but it really is a different heat. The humidity was 10% so we pretty much had bloody noses whenever we blew our nose... lol.
With no humidity it's not bad especially in the shade. Here in NC when it's mid 90s and 80% humidity it's like getting punched in the face and kicked in the balls when you walk outside. There it's just like "Dang it's hot." and that's it :)

Driving on slick rock is one of the coolest things. You can run across it in sneakers almost like spiderman.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HOT low to mid 90s while we were there and then hit 100 when we left but it really is a different heat. The humidity was 10% so we pretty much had bloody noses whenever we blew our nose... lol.
With no humidity it's not bad especially in the shade. Here in NC when it's mid 90s and 80% humidity it's like getting punched in the face and kicked in the balls when you walk outside. There it's just like "Dang it's hot." and that's it :)

Driving on slick rock is one of the coolest things. You can run across it in sneakers almost like spiderman.
I know the high humidity game. Cleveland is the same way. I can take my fish for a walk most days here in the summer. I'd just be worried about my dog that time of the year. He overheats pretty quickly. I'm shooting for late September to October.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I know the high humidity game. Cleveland is the same way. I can take my fish for a walk most days here in the summer. I'd just be worried about my dog that time of the year. He overheats pretty quickly. I'm shooting for late September to October.
That would be a really nice time to go. But if you do go when it's hot the dog would be fine so long as he's in the Jeep with the AC on. Once the sun goes down is does cool off.

OP
OP
irishtim7

irishtim7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Annnnd it’s closed again...

D4E8DB62-8373-49E8-AE85-65397846BB2B.jpeg

55869FE3-9DC3-4626-824C-1C6AFE030250.jpeg

D04903E3-FCDB-4F76-9834-596169476B2A.jpeg

96C0B329-677F-43BC-9D6B-64F51C0118BE.jpeg

19D8CC93-A5C8-44D6-A9E8-F95214419181.jpeg
I’m no pro but I really don’t know what these people are doing to roll their vehicles like this. The trail is not hard.
Sponsored