Oil Change Frequency

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I don't disagree, but I'm thinking about something a little less catastrophic (especially for a 3.6L), like say the camshaft and rockers. Would a 5K OCI with xW-30 minimize the chance of an issue versus a 10K OCI with xW-20?
You know . . . it's really hard to argue with someone who actually sends their oil for analysis and knows so much about this! hahaha

Part of my . . . we're going to call it a "little problem" . . . is that I view things like warranty expirations and parts breakages not as causes for concern, but rather opportunities for improvement!

When I blew the clutch on my Trans Am, was I sad because I had to replace it? No! I was elated because I could now upgrade to that 5.5", triple-disc QuarterMaster clutch and button flywheel I'd been wanting!

Yes, I'm a sick man. A sick, sick man.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
You know . . . it's really hard to argue with someone who actually sends their oil for analysis and knows so much about this! hahaha

Part of my . . . we're going to call it a "little problem" . . . is that I view things like warranty expirations and parts breakages not as causes for concern, but rather opportunities for improvement!

When I blew the clutch on my Trans Am, was I sad because I had to replace it? No! I was elated because I could now upgrade to that 5.5", triple-disc QuarterMaster clutch and button flywheel I'd been wanting!

Yes, I'm a sick man. A sick, sick man.
I'm sure what I'm doing is overkill to some/most, but in the case of the cams/rockers, I should be able to see a spike in wear metals before they grenade potentially paying for the cost of those UOAs by minimizing the "loss".

The same would apply to a leaking head gasket allowing coolant to mix with the oil. I would see the spike in sodium/potassium and react to it before it wipes the bearings.

The Grinch is a keeper and (for me) $22 "extra" every 5K miles is nothing in the scheme of things. Many have habits (myself included) that add up to far more than that over time.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
On any vehicle forum the best way to get a robust thread going is to mention engine oil, wax or tires. Let the discussion begin!
great info here

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
Wow, I never expected this post would have such a health debate.
I learnt so much from these discussions.
Thank you one and all.
You are not wrong with changing oil at 3K, you are not wrong with changing at 5K, AND you are not wrong with changing the the OLM recommends it closer to 8K. For some of us our other car manufacture recommends a 10K interval on full synthetic.

None of us are wrong with our choice of change intervals, we are not exactly right though either. We ARE right because we change it. Pick an interval you can sleep on comfortably and a couple quality oils you can live with. I say a couple because they are not always available when we go to buy, that way you have a back up plan.

The bottom line is that you changed the oil.

And then there is a whole other debate about doing it yourself or paying to have it done. Paying for synthetic can get expensive but some of us have other cars in the home family fleet that can be done with conventional. $25-30 to buy a filter and oil or $40 or so to have it done. Its almost not worth doing a conventional yourself if you have a shop you trust to get it right.

Sponsored

OP
OP

khramesh

First Name
Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat, 2013
You are not wrong with changing oil at 3K, you are not wrong with changing at 5K, AND you are not wrong with changing the the OLM recommends it closer to 8K. For some of us our other car manufacture recommends a 10K interval on full synthetic.

None of us are wrong with our choice of change intervals, we are not exactly right though either. We ARE right because we change it. Pick an interval you can sleep on comfortably and a couple quality oils you can live with. I say a couple because they are not always available when we go to buy, that way you have a back up plan.

The bottom line is that you changed the oil.

And then there is a whole other debate about doing it yourself or paying to have it done. Paying for synthetic can get expensive but some of us have other cars in the home family fleet that can be done with conventional. $25-30 to buy a filter and oil or $40 or so to have it done. Its almost not worth doing a conventional yourself if you have a shop you trust to get it right.
@Valpo Jeep: Thank you for the sound advise. I feel comfortable changing at 7K.
It was so uncanny when I started my jeep this morning : "change oil soon" message came on the dashboard. I had changed it abut 6900 miles ago!!
Now my challenge is to find a good shop that handles Jeeps. Don't want to go back to the dealer!!
Thank you all agan.

Bandit59

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Dear Members:
I have a Stick shift 2021 Wrangler Sport Unlimited with about 39,000 Miles.
The dealer had me come in for oil changes every 3000 miles which I did. Going forward is it okay to have the oil changed every 7,000 miles? Had the differential fluid changed at 30,000 miles.
Thanks.
Ramesh
I would do 5-6 if fully synthetic. Oil change is your best insurance

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The oil life monitor has no way of analyzing oil. In short, it just uses an algorithm based on readings from various engines sensors. It does not monitor oil level either.

I go by a 7500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first schedule. Always full synthetic, always changed by me. I do reset the OLM when I change the oil, I don't know why. Just because I can I guess.

You will be good changing it more frequently, but it's a waste of time and money. 3k miles changes were the recommendation years ago when most oil was just refined crude and when there were a lot less additives. Even then, you could do 5k miles if you drove a lot. 3K changes were to prevent sludge in cars with short trips.

Now, if you are a short trip driver, you should pat closer attention to your oil and take your Jeep out every other week or so for a good long, spirited highway drive. I've seen far more low miles babied engines ruined that high miles ones.
Curious what the OLM says when you change at 7500? That interval would seem to be close to where the OLM is telling me to change it. But, can't really recall. Seems like a reasonable interval.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My doctor ran a UOA on me last week. Borescoped internals last month.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
On any vehicle forum the best way to get a robust thread going is to mention engine oil, wax or tires. Let the discussion begin!
great info here
I agree 100%!! Its always "different strokes for different folks", and most people stick with what gives them a warm-and-fuzzy, from 1k to 15k mile oil changes.

My 2 cents, I have owned over 20 vehicles from motorcycles to luxury cars and lots of sports cars, currently a 911. I have always followed the manufacturer's recommendation (except for cars I used at the race track), and I have NEVER had an oil related issue, nor did I have to add oil between changes (never owned a vehicle beyond 150k miles). Perhaps I have just been lucky?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I agree 100%!! Its always "different strokes for different folks", and most people stick with what gives them a warm-and-fuzzy, from 1k to 15k mile oil changes.

My 2 cents, I have owned over 20 vehicles from motorcycles to luxury cars and lots of sports cars, currently a 911. I have always followed the manufacturer's recommendation (except for cars I used at the race track), and I have NEVER had an oil related issue, nor did I have to add oil between changes (never owned a vehicle beyond 150k miles). Perhaps I have just been lucky?
That's a testament to modern EFI, modern oil, and modern metallurgy. EFI did more to extend engine life than any other single thing, IMO.

OP
OP

khramesh

First Name
Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat, 2013
Yeah, I'd be happy to help you out. Pm me if you're interested.
Thank you D immensely for doing the oil change on my Jeep. Very nice and kind of you. Well worth the drive.
I realize now that using good full-synthetic makes a big difference. Engine runs quieter now and the RPM on idle has dropped from about 900/min to about 600/min. Even my wife commented on the engine running smoother than before. Is this my imagination or is it true using good oil and filter will bring such a difference??
Last note, the dealer service had overfilled by more than a quarter, and the oil was totally totally dark and almost had no viscosity. This at about 6900 miles of use.
Thank you again.
Sponsored