Off-roading with a manual transmission?

Canjeeper

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
An aftermarket clutch and flywheel fix the terrible-mess of the stock setup. New axle gears fix the terrible gearing of the manual.

Just be sure you have 4-5k set aside and budgeted on top of what you are going to spend for your 2 door hard top
So true, but the problem then turns into that with lower gears you need to install , now 1 st gear being 5:13 is too low for city stoplights and second is to high . is it doable yes , but pitty your syncro"s .

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
Funny how this thread resurfaced. I had one of the earlier posts where I actually sold an auto JLUS and bought a manual JLUR and couldn't be happier.

Since then I've added a AEV lift (scheduled to become Frankenstein setup with Teraflex IR arms, fulll steersmarts front, adjustable shocks etc), 37 KM3s, centerforce clutch and 4.88 gears.

I daily drive this and enjoy heading out to RUsch, AOAA (Windrock scheduled in October) when I can, about 8x a year.

With the current setup it's awesome. Super easy to drive (my wife grabs the keys all the time for school runs) and will literally crawl over boulders in 1st and 4low barely breathing on the throttle.

I totally agree that auto is easier in the technical areas particularly where variable wheel speed is needed.

But I'm having one heck of a good time doing the clutch dance on trails ranging g from green to red.

So this is my long winded way of saying go for what makes you smile and own it. :rock:

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I know an auto is better off road, but I spend WAY more time on road than off. And even when in dirt, I rarely need more than 2wd. So I will take the enjoyment of a manual.

Yes , we are all well aware it's your choice. We are all simply letting you know what to expect SINCE WE ALREADY OWN OR HAVE OWNED A MANUAL. You've been warned... lol.
I'd rather have no Jeep over an auto, given the choice.

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
We have a built Sahara and a built Rubicon. The few times I had to drop off the Sahara for some warranty work (door alignment stuff, leaky hardtop) and my Rubicon (leaky SOT), I got loaners, usually stock JLs and once a new Cherokee. I prayed to God my friends wouldn’t see me driving them 🤣 Couldn’t wait to get our vehicle(s) back!

WillIeB

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Colorado
Going to do a threac on the 8 speed auto compared to the 5 speed in my jk.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Going to do a threac on the 8 speed auto compared to the 5 speed in my jk.
No offense but why? JK is a very different platform and the manuals aren't even close.

Zuni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler JLR
Clubs

So I've been thinking of getting an JLU Rubicon. Will be a daily driver for my mainly 2-lane commute and light to moderate off-roading. Might work my way up to Beasley Knob ORV trails (7-9 rating on Badge of Honor system). Would love to eventually go to Moab as a bucket list adventure.
I haven't had manual tranny in several years and like the idea of going back to one. How is off-roading in the manual with say a 2" lift and 35's compared to the automatic? Plan to keep this one forever so long-term durability/service life is a high priority.
Any input appreciated.
The auto is easier and kinder because of the buffering of the torque converter and automatic shifting but like I've always said a manual is more fun for off-roading! It takes more skill and finesse. It means constantly shifting on the road though.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
The auto is easier and kinder because of the buffering of the torque converter and automatic shifting but like I've always said a manual is more fun for off-roading! It takes more skill and finesse. It means constantly shifting on the road though.
I'm sorry man, I just don't get this. I had a manual JL and at first I thought the same thing and then I quickly learned why 99% of people use auto off road. The more technical, difficult and challenging an obstacle is the more of a nuisance the stick becomes. And that's with what is probably the best off roading manual version throughout Jeep history. My wake up came when I ran Pritchett Canyon in Moab with the stick. After that trip the Jeep was sold and an auto was bought.

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t tell you how many rock crawling videos I’ve seen with manual Jeeps, where the driver repeatedly stalls the engine on obstacles and has to restart the engine. Also, much of the damage to the drive train (broken drive shafts, etc) happen with manuals. Something to consider.

Zuni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler JLR
Clubs

I can’t tell you how many rock crawling videos I’ve seen with manual Jeeps, where the driver repeatedly stalls the engine on obstacles and has to restart the engine. Also, much of the damage to the drive train (broken drive shafts, etc) happen with manuals. Something to consider.
Yeah that's when the exploding clutch comes in, the slippage. My terrain is more dirt, mud and weaving through the woods (upstate NY) + small rock crawling. Keep it slow and if necessary with a spotter. In 1st-4low ur not moving more than a couple mph. Get out and spot it urself 1st is the best bet then no stopping no slippage no stalling. I'm old school though and like the challenge. When I learned manuals no trucks had autos!

Zuni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler JLR
Clubs

Yeah that's when the exploding clutch comes in, the slippage. My terrain is more dirt, mud and weaving through the woods (upstate NY) + small rock crawling. Keep it slow and if necessary with a spotter. In 1st-4low ur not moving more than a couple mph. Get out and spot it urself 1st is the best bet then no stopping no slippage no stalling. I'm old school though and like the challenge. When I learned manuals no trucks had autos!
I learned clutches at 13 with my 1st dirt bike.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Same here Zuni; I started off in a 3 speed manual FJ40 down here in FL, and drove M151 Jeeps right after I enlisted.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I can go either way with manual or auto. both sides have there good and bads. I still like the challenge of the manual transmission with wheeling. thus i do not do " Extreme trails." still running the moderate to hard range.
Sponsored