Off-roading with a manual transmission?

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
I was curious why was this the case? Why is it the 4.10 ratio is better than the 3.45 ratio in a manual? I am assuming this comment is specific to on-road driving.
It is specific to all driving. On and off road you get more usable gears. You want the lowest crawl ratio off road so that the engine has mega power and you don't have to use the clutch.

On road with the 3.45 gear ratio and the 6mt the Jeep is just geared silly IMO (I have owned both a JLS and JLR). With 3.45 gears plan to use 1-3 in town, 4th on the highway and 5th on the interstate unless your above 80mph then maybe you can use 6th gear. 3.45 gear ratio with 32" tires at 80mph produces 2100rpms. You are just starting to touch the power band of the motor.
With 4.1 gears and 33" tires at 80mph your at 2400rpms which is still the bottom end of the engines peak power.

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-roading with a manual transmission? Capture.PNG

Jeep Wrangler JL Off-roading with a manual transmission? Capture2.PNG
Sponsored

Buzz11

First Name
Buzz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLR, 2001 Wrangler TJ Sport
I love my MT, other than in stop and go traffic. Works great off road, as others have pointed out, it's just a bit more work, but "fun" work.

What amazes me is that there is a $1,500 charge for the Automatic. Since Jeep probably sell 95% more Automatics, I'm amazed that economies of scale haven't made the Automatic about the same price

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Love my MT in Traffic, no traffic, backroads, highways, off roads, etc. Never hear me complain. Logged close to 100 hours offroading in a MT and never had a problem. Learn your Jeep and your clutch and you never think about it. It becomes second nature.

End of the day get what you want. Everyone is going to disagree on what to get. Get what you want and have fun.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Learn your Jeep and your clutch and you never think about it. It becomes second nature.
Absolutely right! Not once has it crossed my mind whether I should have a manual or not, whether on or off-road because it's second nature. If driving a manual seems like a chore to anyone then it's just not for them.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have a manual JLR. I went with manual because I love to actually drive my vehicles.

100% though if I could do this over I would have gotten a auto tranny because I mainly off-road my JL. Clutch control while trying to do some serious rock climbing is a bitch in so many ways. Having an auto allows you to focus solely on the rocks.

Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
I was curious why was this the case? Why is it the 4.10 ratio is better than the 3.45 ratio in a manual? I am assuming this comment is specific to on-road driving.
Just got back and saw someone helped answer this. That’s good as I’m the last person you’d want trying to explain this haha. I have a friend that has a non-rubi manual and it felt weird to me driving it compared to mine.

AdamG

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLSportS
I love my MT, other than in stop and go traffic. Works great off road, as others have pointed out, it's just a bit more work, but "fun" work.

What amazes me is that there is a $1,500 charge for the Automatic. Since Jeep probably sell 95% more Automatics, I'm amazed that economies of scale haven't made the Automatic about the same price
The charge allows them to offer the manual. Plus, why charge less for the thing everyone wants?

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Save the manual for a sports car not a 5000 pound refrigerator. Your first lengthy traffic jam you’ll wish you got an auto.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Save the manual for a sports car not a 5000 pound refrigerator. Your first lengthy traffic jam you’ll wish you got an auto.
I have never wished I got an auto.

Armorlite Kail

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Kail
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JKU Rubicon, 64 C10, 61 Panhead
Occupation
Glorified Floor Salesman
With older Jeeps you can use a throttle knob to raise your rpm then feather your clutch out and treat it like your gas pedal.
I haven't looked into anything like this for a new model. If I were to be crawling at all I would not want to roll back, I have noticed the manual guys have a harder time getting over obstacles but I think for some they enjoy the added challenge.
I my self last weekend was in a pickle that I believe if I juggled a manual I would have rolled.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I have to laugh at the guys who have never driven the JL as a manual but say you will regret owning one anywhere from traffic to rock crawling.

Also it's not the 4:10 gears in the diff that are making the world of difference in the Rubi. It's the 4:1 ratio in the transfer case where you can REALLY feel the difference. I'm not saying the diff gears don't help, I'm saying the real kicker is the t-case.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
With older Jeeps you can use a throttle knob to raise your rpm then feather your clutch out and treat it like your gas pedal.
I haven't looked into anything like this for a new model. If I were to be crawling at all I would not want to roll back, I have noticed the manual guys have a harder time getting over obstacles but I think for some they enjoy the added challenge.
I my self last weekend was in a pickle that I believe if I juggled a manual I would have rolled.
With the Hill Assist enabled you don't roll back at all so that problem is mitigated.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I drove Tampa/St. Pete, FL rush hour traffic for 20 years with a manual. It becomes second nature once you do it long enough. My civic has 268K on the original clutch, and my Chevy S-10 got 147K on the original clutch. I wasn't even interested in an auto when we went shopping for our Jeep.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, wrong. It doesn't feel like that at all. And the clutch is light. Easier in a traffic Jam than any sportscar I've had, or even my brothers Camaro ZL1 1LE.
Sponsored