Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This isn't Disney, if the button is there, it's meant to be interacted with!!

Fun story, we went to Hollywood Studios in Disneyworld, freaking awesome. Well, In Batuu, everything is interactive, press this, touch that, take a picture with this to get points, etc. Well, we went on Rise of the Resistance (freaking amazing!) and we were in line where you're next to board basically. There were some cool looking flashing buttons and so my wife presses one. Well, it' opens up the door to the next area where a bunch of people are getting their presentation. OOPS!!! I mean, c'mon though, you are having us do all this other interactive stuff and then there's a button exposed, easily viewed by all, how can we NOT push it?!

Off Road+ Display — If Equipped When the Off Road+ button is pushed in the switch bank, the Instrument Cluster Display will begin to show messages related to the feature. Depending on the Four Wheel Drive mode in use, the messages will differ, and after five seconds, all messages will clear from the display.
The messages are as follows:
 2H: Off Road+ Unavailable, Shift to 4WD
 4H: 4WD High Off Road+ Active
 4L: 4WD Low Off Road+ Active

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Speed Control are not available when using Off Road+. If either option is selected, a dedicated message will display indicating that the features are not usable concurrently.
Messages are as follows:
 4H: Speed Control — Cruise Control Unavailable in Off Road+
 4H: Adaptive Cruise Control — Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Unavailable in Off Road+
 4L: Speed Control — Cruise Control Unavailable in 4WD Low
 4L: Adaptive Cruise Control — Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Unavailable in 4WD Low

NOTE: The behavior of Electronic Stability Control while in Off Road+ varies depending on the 4WD status. If the vehicle is in 4H, Traction Control is automatically turned off. Also, holding the ESC Off button for five seconds will turn off ESC. In 4L, Electronic Stability Control automatically shuts off regardless of the Off Road Status.
Sponsored

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Off Road+ Display — If Equipped When the Off Road+ button is pushed in the switch bank, the Instrument Cluster Display will begin to show messages related to the feature. Depending on the Four Wheel Drive mode in use, the messages will differ, and after five seconds, all messages will clear from the display.
The messages are as follows:

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Speed Control are not available when using Off Road+. If either option is selected, a dedicated message will display indicating that the features are not usable concurrently.
Messages are as follows:
 4H: Speed Control — Cruise Control Unavailable in Off Road+
 4H: Adaptive Cruise Control — Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Unavailable in Off Road+
 4L: Speed Control — Cruise Control Unavailable in 4WD Low
 4L: Adaptive Cruise Control — Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Unavailable in 4WD Low

NOTE: The behavior of Electronic Stability Control while in Off Road+ varies depending on the 4WD status. If the vehicle is in 4H, Traction Control is automatically turned off. Also, holding the ESC Off button for five seconds will turn off ESC. In 4L, Electronic Stability Control automatically shuts off regardless of the Off Road Status.
what happens if you press the button in 4H Auto - does it activate?

So would that then be okay to use on paved roads? I’ve seen some people saying it makes the performance driving on paved roads better, but didn’t think you were meant to use 4H on paved roads. Maybe 4H Auto it is okay?

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
what happens if you press the button in 4H Auto - does it activate?

So would that then be okay to use on paved roads? I’ve seen some people saying it makes the performance driving on paved roads better, but didn’t think you were meant to use 4H on paved roads. Maybe 4H Auto it is okay?
You cannot use 4X4 on dry paved roads. Snow and ice only. You running down snow/ice and hit dry patch concrete you will know it. Tires will jerk you around. 4H 4L only off-road.

theimmortals

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU
You cannot use 4X4 on dry paved roads. Snow and ice only. You running down snow/ice and hit dry patch concrete you will know it. Tires will jerk you around. 4H 4L only off-road.
Offroad+ Is awesome in mud as well. I have used it a few times and performance is more responsive. The other things are able to be turned off/on as required. Only ever used it in 4Hi and driving on the mud flats.

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have had my 2021 JLUR for 9 months now and have used the + button quite a bit. Its pretty much a necessity in sandy washes with the manual transmission. For me where it really shines is in the rocks. Put it in 4low hit the button and it greatly reduces the need to use the lockers. The aggressive BLD works amazingly well. It is the one feature that Jeep should be touting in their ad campaigns for sure.
I have a buddy that had know idea what the button was all about because you have to dig deep in the owners manual to find out(there aren't that many of us left that read apparently).
I think Jeep should add off-road+ to the entire lineup. I had a 2020 JLUS and would still have it if it wasn't for the red light runner that murdered it. Off-road + would take the entire wrangler lineup to the next level.

Sponsored

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
Thanks for the info guys.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
Choose Off Road + in 4H start driving then shift to 2H and the Off Road display remains.
I use it all the time. I wonder if the atributes are still there? I guess not?
Try 4Hi, off-road +, then turn on the rear locker. Drive a bit and switch to 2Hi see if the locker stays on.
my new Rubi hasn’t come in yet so I can’t try it.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Oh I thought it was when you get in a spot where you are over your head and scared you get out and the Jeep does the obstacle without you LOL
Just kidding of course
That would be if the Wrangler and Tesla had a bastard child.

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
In 4H it's like sport mode. Holding shifts etc. In 4L it's good for crawling rocks. Deadens the throttle a lot so it's smoother in transition. Maybe needing to avoid 2 pedals as much. It works great both ways. Sand in high and Rock in low.

Sponsored

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
You mean wife mode? No, the JL doesn't have that. 😆
(pulls pin, sets down grenade, casually makes a quick exit)
If you push the Wife mode, the Jeep starts nagging you. Your driving to fast, stop tailgating that car...

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
I have a '22 on order and between this and the 4AUTO on the Rock Track transfer case, I'm really interested to see how much more it helps. I don't remember my JK having issues if I didn't disable traction control but with my JL, it would aggressively cut out the throttle in loose terrain and get me stuck. It would be nice to have a one stop shop button to configure all my settings for off road mode. I think the Bronco coming out is the best thing to happen to the Wrangler. It's going to make Jeep keep up to industry demands more. Its easy to say "this is good enough" when there isn't competition. I still cannot believe they haven't made a 5 piece modular hard top. I thought that was going to be a given with the JL.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'd trade my Off Road + button for a shift into 4L without grinding button. #tongueincheek

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
I'd trade my Off Road + button for a shift into 4L without grinding button. #tongueincheek
HA... you just need a little spit and a lot of luck... wait, what was the question? Seriously though, I've had a Tacoma and (If I remember the Cherokee Trailhawk too) had push button transfer case. its nice but a lot of "enthusiast" don't like the idea of an electronically engaged TC. Those are the same guys that will say a JK and a JL are not real Wranglers. But also be the guys who said the same thing about the TJ when that came out too... I think the fact that the Wrangler hasn't changed in those sort of ways speaks a lot about JEEP and their commitment to the lineage of the Wrangler. they could make a better driving Wrangler with an electronic transfer case shifter and independent front suspension that has high articulation (which many thought they would have with the JL) and appeal to an even greater customer base but they are willing to stick with the tried and true.
Sponsored