Sponsored

Off-Road Plus & Locking rear Axle in 4 High?

MerlinsGarage

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21RUB392, 97Vipr,14Porsc 911,06Ford GT,64Vette etc
According to Jeep, the rear axle can be locked in 4H.........

• Off-road Plus drive mode lets drivers lock the rear axle at high speeds while in 4 High

Had torrential rain Sat and tried to lock the rear axle. Attempted in both Auto and part-time 4wd. Pushed "Rear Axle Only" button. Off Road + was engaged. Does Off Road + automatically lock rear axle? The dashboard driveline info does not specifically show the rear diff "Locked".
Display said to switch to 4 low. What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored

Last edited:

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I've not seen this, how do you get to this menu?

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
According to Jeep, the rear axle can be locked in 4H.........

• Off-road Plus drive mode lets drivers lock the rear axle at high speeds while in 4 High

Had torrential rain Sat and tried to lock the rear axle. Attempted in both Auto and part-time 4wd. Pushed "Rear Axle Only" button. Off Road + was engaged. Does Off Road + automatically lock rear axle? The dashboard driveline info does not specifically show the rear diff "Locked".
Display said to switch to 4 low. What am I doing wrong?
Any luck?

OP
OP

MerlinsGarage

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm going to go out and play in TS Ida today. See if I can get it to work. Pull in 4 high PT an hit the Off Road + button. I'll let you know.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I think it will only work in 4HI not 4Auto. I'm not 100% though. I wouldn't use it on-road in heavy rain type situations anyway. When the axle is locked you're MORE likely to lose traction while in a turn. When the axle is locked and the vehicle is going through a turn the outside wheel needs to rotate faster than the inside wheel. (It has further to travel). That means one of the tires is forced to break traction. Being in 4Hi will help prevent the jeep from spinning out, but still. Leave it in 4Hi or 4Auto and leave the diffs open for better control in on-road heavy rain situations. Use the off-road+ 4Hi locker feature for sand and mud.

If you want to test that it's locking, go into a paved parking lot and try locking the diff. Then to a tight turn with the windows open. If the diff is locked you'll hear the one tire scrubbing hard as the turn gets tighter.

OP
OP

MerlinsGarage

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I was planning on the same procedure but with less friction while turning (H2O)
Sponsored