First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I was at Ft Riley for most of 7 years, so I understand the weather. Hail falls sideways there.

A shipping container/conex is too narrow. With your leg injury you would have a tough time parking in there, then getting in and out. Now 2 containers with rafters between them and metal roofing panels would be nice. Close one end off and put one big or two smaller garage doors on it. Cut walk doors or bay openings into the containers and you would have all kinds of extra storage for tool boxes and such. All you would really need is a gravel pad for it. You could have concrete done later or have hot asphalt delivered. Then all you would have to do is spread it and compact it.

I had a 30ā€™x40ā€™ steel building put up about 7 years ago. I live in a semi rural area, so there were no permitting issues. Look for a local company who builds them. Many are prefab kits that use galvanized 2ā€x2ā€ steel tube. They are customizable according to budget. A good size would be 18ā€™x25ā€™ to fit your Jeep, tools, top/doors and some assorted other things. But I suggest you buy the biggest you can afford. As soon as you start rolling stuff in there it gets small fast. I wish I would have went 40x60 now. It wouldnā€™t have cost all that much more.

I made a deal with my wife. She gets the garage connected to the house, and all of the convenience that goes with it. In return, Iā€™ll walk to and from my barn in any weather. BUT nothing from the house will be stored in my building. No Christmas decorations, no furniture, nothing. It has worked out well. Itā€™s my shop/building/barn/garage. Donā€™t ever call it a ā€œman caveā€ No TVs or pool tables allowed. :LOL:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
Really depends on what you want to spend. You can get an inexpensive car canopy from Harbor Freight for under $300 or shoot for the moon and get a pole barn erected for storage and a workshop. Should be able to go equity loan on the house to build the pole barn and it will add value to your property since its a permanent structure.

Plus it will double as the mancave.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I was at Ft Riley for most of 7 years, so I understand the weather. Hail falls sideways there.

A shipping container/conex is too narrow. With your leg injury you would have a tough time parking in there, then getting in and out. Now 2 containers with raters between them and metal roofing panels would be nice. Close one end off and put one big or two smaller garage doors on it. Cut walk doors or bay openings into the containers and you would have all kinds of extra storage for tool boxes and such. All you would really need is a gravel pad for it. You could have concrete done later or have hot asphalt delivered. Then all you would have to do is spread it and compact it.

I had a 30ā€™x40ā€™ steel building put up about 7 years ago. I live in a semi rural area, so there were no permitting issues. Look for a local company who builds them. Many are prefab kits that use galvanized 2ā€x2ā€ steel tube. They are customizable according to budget. A good size would be 18ā€™x25ā€™ to fit your Jeep, tools, top/doors and some assorted other things. But I suggest you buy the biggest you can afford. As soon as you start rolling stuff in there it gets small fast. I wish I would have went 40x60 now. It wouldnā€™t have cost all that much more.

I made a deal with my wife. She gets the garage connected to the house, and all of the convenience that goes with it. In return, Iā€™ll walk to and from my barn in any weather. BUT nothing from the house will be stored in my building. No Christmas decorations, no furniture, nothing. It has worked out well. Itā€™s my shop/building/barn/garage. Donā€™t ever call it a ā€œman caveā€ No TVs or pool tables allowed. :LOL:
No tv šŸ˜®

Where do you go to YouTube university at?

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
So my house doesn't have a garage. Most of my yard is also very uneven with as much are 4 or 5 feet variance in elevation. I am about to get my new 2022 JLU and I am trying to think of ways to help protect it from the wonderful variety of weather here in Kansas. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to use a 20 foot cargo container as a garage.

~Jim
This is what I saw when I opened your post.
Jeep Wrangler JL No Garage Screenshot_20221005-095346

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
OP
OP
Jym65

Jym65

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4-Door Willys Sport
This...

Plus this...

=
Jeep Wrangler JL No Garage Thatwasalie
LOL Common misconception. Most of Kansas is hill country. It isn't until you get west of Salina that it truly gets flat. But the at one point you can see the mountains where Denver is from about 6 hours out. :D

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
LOL Common misconception. Most of Kansas is hill country. It isn't until you get west of Salina that it truly gets flat. But the at one point you can see the mountains where Denver is from about 6 hours out. :D
šŸ˜†
I'm a native Wichitan. So flat KS jokes always happen.

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
@Jym65 , you say your yard is "very uneven" with "4 or 5" feet of variance: That's quite a lot. I've sold custom modified Sea Containers for Industrial Equipment Rooms and Storage, and they need not only a level surface but also some sure foundation. They're heavy even empty (4,915 lbs), and with your JL inside, you can add another 4,300 - 4,500 lbs to that. If you don't have at least 10" of level gravel under that can, it's going to sink in mud come spring.

On top of that, a standard ISO 20' Container is only 93" wide inside. Your JLU is 73.8" wide with the doors closed. The shipping container doors don't open for full width with their hinge location, so you need a minimum of 4" clearance on the passenger side, leaving you with only 15.2" of clearance on the drivers side to open the door and get out. That's not a good move.

Containers "seem" cheap - and as a starting point, I suppose they are - compared to a purpose built building... but they're only a starting point. When you start looking at what you need to do to give them a foundation, to ventilate or insulate or heat or wire them to make them functional for something other than oversized crating, you realize that they aren't saving you anything, and they'll never be as functional as a purpose built building. The only time I recommend them even for permanently installed Industrial Equipment is when we're building a package for overseas (saves substantially on shipping costs over a larger building.

As others have said, you will be a lot happier with a metal building. I'd check out Steel Self Framer building manufacturers local to you (Sunward Steel, Harper Steel Buildings, Buck Steel), and get a price. You'll still need to level your ground and put in some kind of foundation... but you'll be a lot happier with the finished product, and so will your neighbors and town.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
These are good for your area. They stand up to good snow and wind loads. They are self supporting, requiring no frame work. You are still going to need some site work for a level area.

I would also want drainage in the floor so that snow melt would have a place to go instead of puddling on the floor. You could also do a gravel pad with a french drain/drains.

https://www.archbuildings.com/blog/...-easier-with-a-well-manufactured-quonset-hut/

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Have you checked Menards, I think I saw some in Kansas when I drove through. I remember living in the Midwest and going there that they always had kits available for outbuildings, everything from carports to metal/wood buildings.