Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
My three cents (because I offer value for money):

A refreshed JL will have a few bits of tech added here and there, and the new generation -- call it the JM -- will have even more of the same. It will come in forms both expected -- wireless phone charging and the like -- and in other ways that, being something of a Luddite, I can't precisely speculate on. Yet.

Taking the long(ish) view, I can picture things like a proper receptacle at the rear of the vehicle for refrigerator power, LED lighting for the raised tailgate glass, sliding and/or reclining rear seats (or ones that finally fold truly flat!), etc.

As for exterior aesthetics, the worst I can envision is a softening of a few edges in the bodywork. I'd wager some things will be lightly touched, and others left alone. It'll still look like a Wrangler, full stop. Folks underestimate the importance of The Look at their peril.

Finally, I don't see any revolutionary powertrain changes, but for a forced induction inline 6 cylinder bowing in the next few years.
Sponsored

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
They should offer atleast a rear locker only on some of the lower models as an option! Looks like the Uconnect 5 should make it for 2022 which I am hoping for along with who knows maybe a 10” screen Jeep?? Lol. Personally I truly am hoping they bring back the Anvil color which is my all time favorite if not they better keep the snazzberry color or I am going to be pissed I waited..lol

ResGuy68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 4Runner, 16 Jeep Wrangler Sport
What you say maybe true but I think you misunderstood. I was speaking of the fenders, not the bumpers.

The engine compartment of the Wrangler is narrow but the front width of the Jeep is extended due to how the fenders balloon out from the sides. It's the Wrangler's classic look. Just wondering at what point does that look become dated for the majority of people and the center of the front end is widened and the fenders are made smaller and less cartoonishly wide.

This is not to say I don't like the look of the Wrangler. The logical side of me just wonders how long Jeep can reap the benefits of the design before a major change is needed.

I'm sure a lot of folks get the Wrangler despite it's looks and not because of it. The Bronco with it's cleaner design will appease many folks who feel the Wrangler's design, although nicely updated in the JL, still has an 1800s horse carriage look.
Great clarification and an interesting add.

I imagine that any "widening" of the front-end would be due to functional drivers, a new engine or power train being the most likely.

In this context, I can't see them altering the design to accommodate any of their current IC offerings. And, it doesn't look like they're looking to roll-out any new engine choices (?).

However, if/as Jeep looks to implement EV functionality into their bottoms-up design, they may look to these "extra" areas as opportunities for battery placement.

It would certainly make for a heavy front-end. However, there is pretty limited room for battery placement in the current designs. The current EV already requiring changes to the rear cargo area.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Well, since the Subaru Forester is super popular right now, maybe they'll make the Wrangler look more like a.....

... no you know what, sometimes sales growth just isn't worth it lol. Let's NOT do that.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
When do you think the next gen (post JL) wrangler will launch? I personally think it'll be quicker this time around because of the Bronco and other competition.
Around 2028. And only sooner if sales sharply drop off and then maybe 2025. Jeep has and does milk the Wrangle line for every penny. Heck the JK continued in production along side the JL through mid 2018 because sales were still strong. Jeep almost pushed back the JL another year because of strong JK sales. Cool head prevailed thankfully.

Sponsored

benny_rt2

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ - 1999 TJ - 2004 TJ
a stripped down Rubicon trim with no mall crawler amenities (not that i hate them but they sure drive up prices) but with the Rubicon undercarriage/drivetrain (lockers, 4:1 tcase, low r&p gearing, M210 front, M220 rear etc)...

They could call it "Rubicon Sport".

It wouldn't cost jeep anything more to make and they'd sell a ton of them.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
A mid cycle " Refresh " might offer different interior colors,
Bedlined interior ,fold flat front passenger seat, removeable hard top side windows, fully electric with Bootstrap on board generator, half doors ,soft uppers, no carpet interior, split rear seats, sections removeable for both 2 and 4 door,
to name a few hopes

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
a stripped down Rubicon trim with no mall crawler amenities (not that i hate them but they sure drive up prices) but with the Rubicon undercarriage/drivetrain (lockers, 4:1 tcase, low r&p gearing, M210 front, M220 rear etc)...

They could call it "Rubicon Sport".

It wouldn't cost jeep anything more to make and they'd sell a ton of them.
Driving up the prices is the point. That's where the money is made.

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
The Jeep JL is a remarkable vehicle. I don’t think any part of it needs a redesign. No other vehicle on EARTH has this much capability matched with on road comfort. The Bronco doesn’t even come close!

Sponsored

benny_rt2

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ - 1999 TJ - 2004 TJ
Driving up the prices is the point. That's where the money is made.
They do like to do that. my logic is that it would be so easy for them to make a Rubicon Sport and they'd sell so many, it would be win-win for both them and the buyers.

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
They do like you do that. my logic is that it would be so easy for them to make a Rubicon Sport and they'd sell so many, it would be win-win for both them and the buyers.
they have entire departments devoted to analyzing markets to see where the profit can be made. Something like that would surely sell, but the sales wouldn’t be new sales. They’d almost surely be selling fewer higher end Rubicon’s as a result. They wouldn’t be taking purchased from Ford or Toyota, but from themselves.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The JL is way more refined than the JK. I am not sure how much more they can improve on it. And I wouldn’t expect much in the way of exterior re-design. As someone else said, Jeeps are iconic and are known for the look.
There is always room for improvement. Better QC will always be appreciated. The JL is definitely a huge improvement over the JK. The JL can still be improved upon. They can improve overall refinement even more. Improved NVH. Stuff like wind noise and steering feel.

I think JEEP will probably offer more technology like the Bronco has. Stuff like the 360 degrees trail cameras. Larger screens, etc.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
they have entire departments devoted to analyzing markets to see where the profit can be made. Something like that would surely sell, but the sales wouldn’t be new sales. They’d almost surely be selling fewer higher end Rubicon’s as a result. They wouldn’t be taking purchased from Ford or Toyota, but from themselves.
They would definitively lose some Rubicon sales from the people who buy the luxury items to get the off road ones. They also would up sell some of the people who buy a sport and upgrade themselves because they don’t want to spend money on the Rubicon luxury features that they don’t want. They would lose more Rubicon sales if they made the mall crawler edition with stickers, 35s, vented bulge hood, leather, big screen and power everything but no lockers, disconnects, low range etc.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
One area where Wrangler can certainly improve is is interior space utilization. Our rigs have a midsize exterior and a compact size interior. But I don’t see this happening until the complete redesign in another 6 years.
Sponsored