Sponsored

Next Generation Prediction

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I still don't see a major refresh, such as a new interior, happening within the JL's assumed 10-year generation lifecycle. They might introduce UConnect 5, but I'm not holding my breath and its chances look even slimmer with chip production shortages. The only reason the Wrangler got such significant changes in 2011 and 2012 was because after Fiat bought Chrysler, they publicly admitted the JK sucked.
Sponsored

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I believe it relates to pedestrian safety. SUV's with aggressive front profiles need that extended bumper to pop pedestrians up onto the hood. You see this with "new" designs by Ford (Bronco), INEOS (Grenadier) and others.

I believe that certain high-end vehicles may be able to implement electronic safety measures as an alternative to the extended bumper. However, I may be mistaken in this regard. And, I know that my preference is not for additional technology in these already complex JL wranglers.
What you say maybe true but I think you misunderstood. I was speaking of the fenders, not the bumpers.

The engine compartment of the Wrangler is narrow but the front width of the Jeep is extended due to how the fenders balloon out from the sides. It's the Wrangler's classic look. Just wondering at what point does that look become dated for the majority of people and the center of the front end is widened and the fenders are made smaller and less cartoonishly wide.

This is not to say I don't like the look of the Wrangler. The logical side of me just wonders how long Jeep can reap the benefits of the design before a major change is needed.

I'm sure a lot of folks get the Wrangler despite it's looks and not because of it. The Bronco with it's cleaner design will appease many folks who feel the Wrangler's design, although nicely updated in the JL, still has an 1800s horse carriage look.

Greenjeepthing

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport Mojito
Occupation
Retired Automotive Service Manager
I love how everyone was hyped about the bronco but now you dont find much support for it.

the more i see in person, the uglier they look.
The first one I saw on the road was grey...I really thought it was a Honda Element.

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I still don't see a major refresh, such as a new interior, happening within the JL's assumed 10-year generation lifecycle. They might introduce UConnect 5, but I'm not holding my breath and its chances look even slimmer with chip production shortages. The only reason the Wrangler got such significant changes in 2011 and 2012 was because after Fiat bought Chrysler, they publicly admitted the JK sucked.
Their statement earlier this year said the whole line would have uconnect 5 for 2022. That would be a nice upgrade.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
What you say maybe true but I think you misunderstood. I was speaking of the fenders, not the bumpers.

The engine compartment of the Wrangler is narrow but the front width of the Jeep is extended due to how the fenders balloon out from the sides. It's the Wrangler's classic look. Just wondering at what point does that look become dated for the majority of people and the center of the front end is widened and the fenders are made smaller and less cartoonishly wide.

This is not to say I don't like the look of the Wrangler. The logical side of me just wonders how long Jeep can reap the benefits of the design before a major change is needed.

I'm sure a lot of folks get the Wrangler despite it's looks and not because of it. The Bronco with it's cleaner design will appease many folks who feel the Wrangler's design, although nicely updated in the JL, still has an 1800s horse carriage look.
That would be a different vehicle. No, just no.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Well, that's a weird turn of phrase.

What was changed on the TJ's mid cycle? Anything significant?
The big ones were the introduction of the Rubicon in 2003 and the Unlimited in 2004, but those weren't really "mid" cycle. They didn't change the interior hardly at all save for radios, steering wheels, and the seats. For powertrains, they replaced the 2.5L with a 2.4L, switched to the 42RLE auto, and tossed in a few other goodies from the parts bin that were already in the Grand Cherokee.

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR

It's not far fetched to think that the degree of the Bronco's success could change the fundamental design of the wrangler in the near future. I don't think it will happen, soon. But we all know it will happen one day.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
It's not far fetched to think that the degree of the Bronco's success could change the fundamental design of the wrangler in the near future. I don't think it will happen, soon. But we all know it will happen one day.
Why would it? Jeep is clearly more successful.

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
That would be a different vehicle. No, just no.
I agree but at some point all designs have to evolve. Just curious if that time is coming for the Wrangler sooner (JM?) or later.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I agree but at some point all designs have to evolve. Just curious if that time is coming for the Wrangler sooner (JM?) or later.
It has evolved, but simply swapping the name Wrangler over to a completely different vehicle is not a design change or evolution, it's a scam.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The Wrangler generations have historically had their own decade.

YJ: ‘87
TJ: ‘97
JK: ‘07
JL: ‘18
__: ‘27??

They can afford to keep the platform unchanged and just update tech and smaller items for a few more years.

I don’t believe the Bronco will make them rush anything, but hopefully it does mean an even better Jeep product for all of us. After getting a TJ in ‘05, I think they knocked the JL out of the park. We absolutely love ours.

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
But I also know humans get tired of a design looking similar forever.
Tell that to Challenger buyers. Stellantis knows better than anyone that if you get a product right, you can just release editions and colors for a decade or more with no major updates and people will eat it up. Becomes hugely profitable after the initial design and tooling is paid off.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Tell that to Challenger buyers. Stellantis knows better than anyone that if you get a product right, you can just release editions and colors for a decade or more with no major updates and people will eat it up. Becomes hugely profitable after the initial design and tooling is paid off.
Seems like any vehicle that looks wayyy different from all other brands will do fine just staying with what works.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
The mid-cycle redesign should be coming out in a year from now as a 2023 model year.

I doubt Jeep will rush anything. They rushed the XR package and it shows.

Bronco production is not expected to get into full swing for another 12-18 months, anyway, which suits Jeep just perfectly. Bronco will be old news by then, and my prediction is that Ford’s production and quality problems will persist.
I think they will stick to their usual decade or so for the “JM” version. However, i think they may add in a few more things (as well as to make a few more things standard) on the mid-cycle refresh than they might have if the Bronco had not been launched.
Sponsored

Last edited: