Newbie Steering Drift Question

LongBeachJim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara, 2021 Corvette
Brand new Sahara delivered last week and yesterday I got it up to highway speed. I noticed that the steering needs frequent correction to keep it in the lane at higher speeds, which might be taxing on a long road trip. Is there anything which would help? I have AT tires, but would AS tires be better? Reducing tire inflation? Maybe the drift seems super pronounced because my other vehicle is a Corvette, and I’ll just get used to it?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Have you checked the tire pressures? Dealers love to over-inflate tires to 40+ PSI. This alone will rectify some of it.

Yes, coming from a Corvette might have something to do with it, and yes, you will likely get used to it to some extent.

I wouldn’t swap ATs for AS; it will make your Jeep look like a station wagon. You will hate it.

Good luck.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
The number one step is to check tire pressure and make sure that cold pressure is equal to the values on the placard on the driver's door, no higher. Higher pressure induces wander.

Second step is to realize it's a Jeep and will always wander more at speeds than a car with rack and pinion steering. All terrain tires should be OK unless they are super aggressive. I just put KO2s on my 2 door and steering is excellent even at 75 mph.

Third step is that sometimes there are defects where the steering wander is excessive, in which case you go to the dealer. It's kind of hard to say without feeling them to compare.

NULL POINTER

First Name
Carmine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon, '19 VetteZ06 7spdVert,
Occupation
Old Fart

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
First of all, Jeep steering will never be as tight as a Corvette. That's Live Front Axle (LFA) vs Independent Front Suspension (IFS). The Jeep uses LFA and sacrifices some on-road steering precision for much better off-road wheel articulation.

If you have not let air out of your tires, its almost guaranteed they are over inflated from the factory & dealer. Jeep tires come over inflated to prevent flat spotting during transport. It's part of "unwrapping" your new Jeep. Set tire PSI to what is indicated inside the driver door frame. It makes a huge difference. Many people set PSI a little lower than that.

Also (if you haven't done so already) open your fuse box under the hood and make sure every fuse and relay is completely pushed in. That's another step in "unwrapping" a new Jeep.
Sponsored