First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
You would think that Jeep would finally get it right after all these years of JL steering issues

I have read on this site the 392 Rubicon uses the same lower control arms as other Jeeps, but they did decide to put a somewhat taller coil spring up front so why not use the lower control arms that they use with lift kit.

I would think that the engineers would realize that your Caster numbers are going the decrease when you lift a Jeep???
Sponsored

spudf16

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2-Dr
So, I saw this revision for the steering damper, which changes some of the parts for the bolts (bigger/more square). Just FYI for all. (V41 revision 8). See attached.

Attachments

Atom631

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I've got the Steersmarts version of this sitting in a box in my garage. I will put it on soon and update this post. My jeeps tracks fine but is loosey goosey on the highway. I do have some deadzone in the steering but I can 2 finger it on the hwy with no issues. My wife drives it and hates it which is the reason I am hesitant to make it better 👹

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...ejWb_HKjj0NRsBiLJr8-5id37w_yKHixoCHqsQAvD_BwE
did you wind up installing it and did it help?

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So, I saw this revision for the steering damper, which changes some of the parts for the bolts (bigger/more square). Just FYI for all. (V41 revision 8). See attached.
THANKS SO MUCH! I'm so glad to see this.

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
THANKS SO MUCH! I'm so glad to see this.
That is why I got rid of my 2018JLUR, I had upgraded every component in the steering system to no avail and even went through 2 new steering boxes. I would check to see if your lug nuts are making full contact on your wheels, sounds stupid but it has been an issue. I had the privilege of working with PSC steering during a Jeep Invasion here in Wildwood NJ and I drove a jeep with the same issues as mine, dead spot, wandering etc. I helped install a PSC kit, not with the ram system just with the steering box and mechanical power steering pump and it was a night and day difference.
Trust me I had tried every steering component from Steer Smarts to Yeti to geometry correction brackets to 7 degrees camber and nothing helped my situation. "Its a jeep thing" bull sh**

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That is why I got rid of my 2018JLUR, I had upgraded every component in the steering system to no avail and even went through 2 new steering boxes. I would check to see if your lug nuts are making full contact on your wheels, sounds stupid but it has been an issue. I had the privilege of working with PSC steering during a Jeep Invasion here in Wildwood NJ and I drove a jeep with the same issues as mine, dead spot, wandering etc. I helped install a PSC kit, not with the ram system just with the steering box and mechanical power steering pump and it was a night and day difference.
Trust me I had tried every steering component from Steer Smarts to Yeti to geometry correction brackets to 7 degrees camber and nothing helped my situation. "Its a jeep thing" bull sh**
Thanks for your note.
We all have a cross to carry. There is no excuse for these problems. They should have been resolved a long time ago. Death wobble too.

edit: Wander was fixed when the steering gear was replaced. It was well done at another dealer.

I keep looking for another Jeep. And then I remember the steering problem, and the posts from people still having problems.

Second dealer was excellent. FCA Canada Jeep Customer Care rep was amazing. Jeep handled better, as it should have done when reported about a year before.

Last edited:

Beardedgator

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL RUBICON
Well i guess i'll join the steering issue club. My 2018 was great but this new 2021 wanders and seems like i'm constantly correcting the wheel from side to side. Hopefully my dealer can get it worked out.
same, well.. my 2018 was decent and then got a little bad with 37s.. just picked up my '21 yesterday and holy shit. all over the place
Sponsored