Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Carlton,

Steering doesn’t feel too loose. I had a 4 wheel alignment from an expert here that I trust. He corrected as much as he could but showed me how the spacer lifts on the JL still create a little angle to the right. It came out to .108 degrees overall and it’s in the rear only but I don’t feel like that’s what I’m feeling. .108 is basically nothing.

I think what I’m feeling is normal for 35” tires and no upgrades steering stabilizer....I hope haha.
Did the expert you trust sell you on the 4 wheel alignment? Only reason I ask is without adjustable arms/trackbars etc there is absolutley nothing they can adjust in the rear. In the front they can only adjust the toe(and center the steering wheel), but in my experience unless it was off from the factory it doesn't change much with that small of a lift. :beer:

Steering stabilizers are a very easy DIY project if they bolt in the factory location. The ones that go over the tie rod require you to remove the trackbar bolt (21mm socket) and replace it with a new stud. That can be more difficult if you don't have the right tools and a torque wrench.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
37858A4D-8446-401B-B10F-998C7A019E2B.jpeg
7D1A9724-18C6-407F-BA36-D2BC14B8FA77.jpeg
You can purchase the JK version with the 1-5/8 clamp. We didn't have issues on our 2dr JL with stock draglink/tie rod, but we run fairly tall bumpstops with the coilovers.

20190925_115732~3_resized.jpg
Stud mount didn't work for me. Hit's the tie rod at full-stop right turns. I'm modifying the Metalcloak bracket to raise it up.

OP
OP
Q’s JLUR

Q’s JLUR

First Name
Quen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Did the expert you trust sell you on the 4 wheel alignment? Only reason I ask is without adjustable arms/trackbars etc there is absolutley nothing they can adjust in the rear. In the front they can only adjust the toe(and center the steering wheel), but in my experience unless it was off from the factory it doesn't change much with that small of a lift. :beer:

Steering stabilizers are a very easy DIY project if they bolt in the factory location. The ones that go over the tie rod require you to remove the trackbar bolt (21mm socket) and replace it with a new stud. That can be more difficult if you don't have the right tools and a torque wrench.
Yes he showed that and told me that’s all he could adjust and I guess it was off a little, and the steering wheel was off a little too. I just wanted it done because my lift required us to break all 8 control arms and both traction bars loose. I really think the lift is fine, I think the “looseness” I feel is just the steering not reacting as tightly as it did before the 35’s. This is the first time I’ve had 35x12.5’s.

Any advantage of getting the stabilizers that go over the tie rod? I have a torque wrench and can handle the traction bar

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
37858A4D-8446-401B-B10F-998C7A019E2B.jpeg
7D1A9724-18C6-407F-BA36-D2BC14B8FA77.jpeg

Stud mount didn't work for me. Hit's the tie rod at full-stop right turns. I'm modifying the Metalcloak bracket to raise it up.
That's strange, I wonder what's the difference between ours. We have it on both our 4dr and 2dr with no contact on the tie rod. I was a little concerned on the 2dr because we are running the draglink in the factory position, but no issues at rest or flexing.

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Yes he showed that and told me that’s all he could adjust and I guess it was off a little, and the steering wheel was off a little too. I just wanted it done because my lift required us to break all 8 control arms and both traction bars loose. I really think the lift is fine, I think the “looseness” I feel is just the steering not reacting as tightly as it did before the 35’s. This is the first time I’ve had 35x12.5’s.

Any advantage of getting the stabilizers that go over the tie rod? I have a torque wrench and can handle the traction bar
Main advantage is to keep it up and out of the way. I had the previous JL specific fox ATS and always considered removing it offroad as I didn't want to bash a $350+ stabilizer on the rocks.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I also had no interest in adjustability, so I chose the Fox TS. I'm still waiting for it to show up along with the full Yeti steering kit, so I don't yet have any hands on experience.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
That's strange, I wonder what's the difference between ours. We have it on both our 4dr and 2dr with no contact on the tie rod. I was a little concerned on the 2dr because we are running the draglink in the factory position, but no issues at rest or flexing.
Yeah I've talked to several people that have no issues. Guess I'm just lucky.

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JL Need advice for steering stabilizer 7D1A9724-18C6-407F-BA36-D2BC14B8FA77
Jeep Wrangler JL Need advice for steering stabilizer 7D1A9724-18C6-407F-BA36-D2BC14B8FA77

What did you do to correct the SS from making contact on the tie rod bar? I am having the same issue and don’t know what relocation bracket to use!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
What did you do to correct the SS from making contact on the tie rod bar? I am having the same issue and don’t know what relocation bracket to use!
I've had zero issues using the SteerSmarts axle side mount with both the SteerSmarts steering linkages and my current RPM setup. My Fox TS stabilizer clears the tie rod lock to lock.
Jeep Wrangler JL Need advice for steering stabilizer 20211002_173938
Jeep Wrangler JL Need advice for steering stabilizer 20200613_202559
Jeep Wrangler JL Need advice for steering stabilizer 20211013_132423

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
It’s been a while, but I used the Metalcloak axle bracket and had to modify it slightly. I think I had to enlarge one of the holes and add another. Works great, no rubbing.
Sponsored