Mounting ARB Air Compressor

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Could you have mounted lower? Do you have a list of parts you needed to mount the compressor?
I originally had it mounted slightly lower and more forward. You can see the original top forward hole in this picture. It fit, but one of the air filters touched the seat back and it touched the carpeting. I didn’t want it to melt the carpet (not sure if it would but played safe) so moved it. It likely could be mounted lower, as I pretty much put it as high as I could.

Scott

AD903856-BA7B-465D-B449-16ED743EF4D0.jpeg

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I originally had it mounted slightly lower and more forward. You can see the original top forward hole in this picture. It fit, but one of the air filters touched the seat back and it touched the carpeting. I didn’t want it to melt the carpet (not sure if it would but played safe) so moved it. It likely could be mounted lower, as I pretty much put it as high as I could.

Scott

AD903856-BA7B-465D-B449-16ED743EF4D0.jpeg

Thanks. I have the Tuffy security trunk and I like the idea.

What did you buy to use as the stand off spacers to move it away from the side wall of the enclosure? And do you remember the bolt sizes you used

Sponsored

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon

What did you buy to use as the stand off spacers to move it away from the side wall of the enclosure? And do you remember the bolt sizes you used
I went to Ace Hardware with the mounting bolts and matched them up. I think they were an M8, but not fully sure of that. I also got some bronze bushings that fit over the mounting bolts. I think 1-1/2” long. I can measure tomorrow and check. My compressor was the portable in the case, so it’s configuration may be slightly different than the one designed to be mounted. If you need hoses, you can find them cheaper without the ARB brand. https://www.ebay.com/itm/JIC-Hydrau...=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
Mine uses the JIC end on the compressor and the air chuck.

I also mounted the tank on the inside of the trunk wall. Thought about cutting the wall and mounting it half in and half out, so it didn’t take up as much room, but decided that was too much effort.

Scott

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon

The spacers are only an inch long and I just clear the lip. Here’s my tank mounted too. I have over a hand thickness between the compressor and the carpet and seat back.

Scott

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 09030F6A-851C-4B57-A3BD-A18D684A1EBE

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor E855A588-495F-43BF-86FE-6748CAB24B68

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor CF5DC488-BF36-4379-9253-4ADC15742403

AlpacaLies

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Not super hot on engine bay mounting for heat concerns. Inside the wheel well liner seems crazy for water crossings, as does putting it under the seat (recall that all our seats are manual because Jeep didn’t want to put electric motors that could short during water intrusion).
My thought is to use a swing out box in the bed of my gladiator and mount a single cylinder ARB compressor in there (rubber gaskets to make it water proof for wires).
Thoughts?

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
The ARB compressors are sealed and can be ran through water. The two caveats is to relocate the air intake filter to a high and dry spot and to not let dirt/muck/mud stack up in-between the two compressor bodies, you gotta keep that area clear so the fan can cool the cylinder heads.

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
do you have to keep the lid open every time you operate it? can you run the air intakes out somehow? i often have a full trunk, it would be crazy to unload every time.
Negative. The American Adventure lab base is always on. It has plenty of holes for air flow.

Sponsored

WannFly

First Name
Priyo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4Xe - ordered, 2019 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security
just finished reading through 50 pages. first of all, thanks to everyone for chiming in, this is a wealth of knowledge. I think i am leaning towards AAL and their remote install kit. surprised its not the top choice among many folks.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
The ARB compressors are sealed and can be ran through water. The two caveats is to relocate the air intake filter to a high and dry spot and to not let dirt/muck/mud stack up in-between the two compressor bodies, you gotta keep that area clear so the fan can cool the cylinder heads.
On my prior jeep my ARB twin (2014/15 year unit) had some kind of mechanical relay or something which when it gets wet it can short out. I had to have ARB in Auburn replace parts on it. Do you know if they've updated that? I remember seeing it (lots of copper coils, but I'm not 100% sure what it was years later). Mine was an engine mount which I had driven thru a few deep water crossings and got the compressor wet.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
On my prior jeep my ARB twin (2014/15 year unit) had some kind of mechanical relay or something which when it gets wet it can short out. I had to have ARB in Auburn replace parts on it. Do you know if they've updated that? I remember seeing it (lots of copper coils, but I'm not 100% sure what it was years later). Mine was an engine mount which I had driven thru a few deep water crossings and got the compressor wet.
Yes, they have used sealed relays for the past two years or so.

2021_JLURD

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
A question for those of you running a JLU EcoDiesel using the AAL Dual Compressor/Battery mount and REDARC mounting bracket : Did you have to make any modifications to your mount/bracket to get things fitted correctly?

The rear tub is reverse of a 3.6L/2.0L and I feel as though I've received a pre-production mount. (Yes, I've contacted AAL. No, I have not heard back yet). There were no holes/slots drilled to attach the REDARC bracket and the battery mount was preinstalled too far forward causing the battery terminals to make contact with the REDARC. I had to drill and tap new holes about an inch back to prevent the terminals from touching. The optional REDARC bracket is also directional with the REDARC wiring interfering with the predrilled fuse holder location. This also required drilling new holes to relocate the fuse holder.

Not the end of the world, but it was a bit frustrating, took a couple extra hours to drill and tap the holes and I've managed to scratch up the powder coat when pulling the battery in and out for fitment. Has anyone else had this issue? For those of you considering the AAL Dual Compressor mount for your diesel, be aware you may have to make some modifications. Hopefully, the one I've received is a pre-production mount.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor AAL

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
A question for those of you running a JLU EcoDiesel using the AAL Dual Compressor/Battery mount and REDARC mounting bracket : Did you have to make any modifications to your mount/bracket to get things fitted correctly?

The rear tub is reverse of a 3.6L/2.0L and I feel as though I've received a pre-production mount. (Yes, I've contacted AAL. No, I have not heard back yet). There were no holes/slots drilled to attach the REDARC bracket and the battery mount was preinstalled too far forward causing the battery terminals to make contact with the REDARC. I had to drill and tap new holes about an inch back to prevent the terminals from touching. The optional REDARC bracket is also directional with the REDARC wiring interfering with the predrilled fuse holder location. This also required drilling new holes to relocate the fuse holder.

Not the end of the world, but it was a bit frustrating, took a couple extra hours to drill and tap the holes and I've managed to scratch up the powder coat when pulling the battery in and out for fitment. Has anyone else had this issue? For those of you considering the AAL Dual Compressor mount for your diesel, be aware you may have to make some modifications. Hopefully, the one I've received is a pre-production mount.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor AAL
Yes mine was an old design they had and they offered to send me a replacement of the correct design. Apparently their sheet metal supplier wasn't using the new CAD file and using the old one. I'd recommend calling them and see what they'll do for you. For me I had to delay the install and they sent me a new mount. But even the replacement they sent me had some errors where I had to tap holes they missed. AAL quality control at that time seemed pretty piss poor; a lot of things on my order were wrong or missing. I don't know if they have gotten better since.
Sponsored