Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Just finished up my install. I went under the passenger seat with the Innovative mount. It is nothing you have not seen before in this thread.

but...

The payoff was my wife responded with a firm... "it's not that bad". (Loose translation: "this is great, i love it...make any future mods you want!")

...she didn't seem to mind the slight vibration either.

:like:
Same here, but under the drivers seat! She’s always volunteering to sit in the drivers seat on air up and watch the TPMS display. Took me an air up or two to realize her end game. Haha, great writeup!
Sponsored

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
Just finished up my install. I went under the passenger seat with the Innovative mount. It is nothing you have not seen before in this thread.

but...

The payoff was my wife responded with a firm... "it's not that bad". (Loose translation: "this is great, i love it...make any future mods you want!")

...she didn't seem to mind the slight vibration either.

:like:
Is the Innovative mount much different than the ARB one? Do you have a link for it?

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
Is the Innovative mount much different than the ARB one? Do you have a link for it?
The main difference between the ARB and Innovative mounts is the ARB mount creates an arch of sorts, and the compressor(s) are suspended beneath the arch. The Innovative mount is a plate and the compressor(s) mount on top of it.

Pros and Cons (my opinions):

The ARB mount has a plate on the back that protects the intake filters from being kicked by back-seat passengers. On the down-side, some users of the ARB mount - myself included - have had issues with components under the seat getting hung up on the bolt heads that mount the compressors to the bracket.

The Innovative mount is lower profile, and doesn't have the under-seat interference issues that the ARB compressor has. However, it lacks any kind of protection for the compressor(s) against getting kicked.

@Zoobie provided a great summary of available options with pictures and links here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mounting-arb-air-compressor.10776/

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
The main difference between the ARB and Innovative mounts is the ARB mount creates an arch of sorts, and the compressor(s) are suspended beneath the arch. The Innovative mount is a plate and the compressor(s) mount on top of it.

Pros and Cons (my opinions):

The ARB mount has a plate on the back that protects the intake filters from being kicked by back-seat passengers. On the down-side, some users of the ARB mount - myself included - have had issues with components under the seat getting hung up on the bolt heads that mount the compressors to the bracket.

The Innovative mount is lower profile, and doesn't have the under-seat interference issues that the ARB compressor has. However, it lacks any kind of protection for the compressor(s) against getting kicked.

@Zoobie provided a great summary of available options with pictures and links here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mounting-arb-air-compressor.10776/
Good summary there.

For me, I liked that the Innovative mount basically has the compressor sitting right in front of the A/C vent. Plus I have a goose-gear platform behind it, so no issue with passengers kicking it

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I am planning to follow the same route, was it too painful to remove the fender?
i don’t recommend this. I have mine there and it’s just too hot. I’m on this thread for that very reason. I can’t reliably fill up during summertime. It was in the 90’s today. Popped my hood at the end of the trail. Got 3 tires done and overheated. Planning to move it ASAP.

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
2021 JLUR.

I have my ARB Dual Compressor mounted under my passenger seat.

When I move the passenger seat forward/backward, some seat wire connectors sound like they're going to break, I definitely feel the resistance, worried the ARB 3550220 mount was not certified for my year/model.

Has anyone seen issues with the ARB 3550220 and 2021 JLURs?

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
2021 JLUR.

I have my ARB Dual Compressor mounted under my passenger seat.

When I move the passenger seat forward/backward, some seat wire connectors sound like they're going to break, I definitely feel the resistance, worried the ARB 3550220 mount was not certified for my year/model.

Has anyone seen issues with the ARB 3550220 and 2021 JLURs?
This is a fairly common problem with the ARB mount. There are two electrical connectors under the seat that are catching on the bolt heads that mount the compressors to the bracket. You may need to remove the rear bolts of the passenger seat and place a 1/4" spacer between the seat bracket feet and the body to raise the back of the seat up.

Last edited:

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This is a fairly common problem with the ARB mount. There are two electrical connectors under the seat that are catching on the bolt heads that mount the compressors to the bracket. You may need to remove the rear bolts of the passenger seat and place a 1/4" spacer between the seat bracket feat and the body to raise the back of the seat up.
Thanks! I’ll do that!

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! I’ll do that!
Worked like a charm!

I went to Home Depot and picked up:
  • Six “A0B” washers (three stacked is a little more than 1/4”).
  • Two M10-1.5x40mm (10.9) hex head bolts (to make up for the increased stack height).
  • Red Loctite

I loosened the two front seat rail bolts. Then I removed the two rear seat rail bolts. I put red Locktite on the two new bolts.

I stacked three washers under both of the rear rail bolt holes and bolted things down. Not sure if I should have torqued the bolts, but they’re not going anywhere. :)

BOOM! The seat moved forward and backwards without any interference.

I sent a link to this post to ARB so they are aware of the issue.

PS, I actually bought eight washers and three bolts, just so I’d have extras.

I love this forum!!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor A560EF53-22F5-4505-BB1D-7ECAEF66563B

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor E5F6AC92-8C3F-4EDE-910B-ABA6731E5863

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor A108369F-9A96-467E-816C-0B6BAB6B27C8

Last edited:

Sponsored

rbkat

First Name
Rees
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangle Rubicon
ARB Under Seat Install:

A bit lengthy, but here goes…

2021 JLUR with 3.6l Auto Trans – Installed on driver’s side, no air lockers on Rubicon
  • Install bracket
  • Assemble ARB bracket per ARB instructions: ARB-3550220-Twin-Air-Compressor-Mounting-Bracket-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Installation-Instructions.pdf (quadratec.com) .
  • Manifold position must be changed, per ARB install instructions
  • Air compressor installed in bracket, with switch
  • Remove driver’s seat and prepare location per ARB install instructions, install (Did not bolt front as not needed to secure compressor, plus floorboard curvature will bind mount if front bolted per ARB instructions; rear bolted under existing seat bolt locations)
  • Wiring (the most difficult part in my opinion)
  • View wiring section of ARB Twin Air w/ M.O.R.E bracket for the Jeep JLU - Install & Review - YouTube . 5:21 to 10:28.
  • Make up cable as in above video as follows, after stripping black tape off ARB wiring bundle:
  • Single black from plug to 2 blacks going to ARB Switch 5 ½” length
  • Single purple from plug to single red going to ARB Switch 5 ½” length
  • or the ARB under seat mount, DO NOT JOIN Blue/White (power for illuminating switch – I tapped into courtesy light circuitry in driver’s side footwell, using Posi Tap) and Red/Yellow (power to start compressor, when ARB switch in “on” position) – tapped into ignition, using the interior Aux ignition wire on the passenger side). Used a long nylon tie to “fish” the wire behind the center console next to the interior firewall and pulled the wire to the passenger side. Use either 16- or 18-gauge wire with spade connectors to connect both Blue/White and Red/Yellow directly to ARB switch. This allows the compressor to be removed without cutting wires. Be sure and keep existing diodes (with correct direction) in both Blue/White and Red/Yellow wires. Splice (solder) additional wire into Blue/White and Red/Yellow wires in a length necessary to reach destination (alternative: substitute full length wires for Blue/White and Red/Yellow wires with female spade connector added and attached to ARB Switch…diodes added).
  • Switch connections:
  • Position 2 – Red/Yellow to ignition (so that compressor only runs when engine running)
  • Position 3 – Red wire (in bundle made up)
  • Position 6 – Blue/White to courtesy/dome light circuit (only on when you open door)
  • Positions 7 & 8 – Black wires (2 – in bundle made up)
  • From Battery - view ARB Twin Air w/ M.O.R.E bracket for the Jeep JLU - Install & Review - YouTube . 26:47 to 49:16. I added (solder joints) only the 10 gauge red wires (2) necessary to reach under dash, going from the battery terminals across the top side of the engine firewall and thru firewall at the clutch plug (located just to the right of the brake booster). At the same time, I ran another positive (Red) wire for future use.
  • From ARB air compressor –
  • The Blue/White and Red/Yellow wires are discussed in iii. above.
  • The 5 pin connector was not disassembled. I ran the two black wires to a ground post G911A (see GROUND-LOCATION-LAYOUT.pdf (jlwranglerforums.com) using ring terminal. The two red wires were connected to the wires From Battery. (Hint: Pull the From Battery wires thru to give slack for connecting them…once connected, pull wire back and seal hole in plug disk with silicon.
  • Suggestions- (1) Add an additional heavy ground wire from the negative battery post to the frame to insure adequate flow. (2) ¼” spacer under seat’s 2 rear bolts, raises seat to avoid seat movement hitting wires underneath (ordered M10-1.5x40mm Button head bolts and M10 washers- 3 or 4 each side – from: pcbolts.com ( (3) Run additional positive power + from battery for future use.
    Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 2021 JLUR ARB dual compressor under driver's seat

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

rbkat

First Name
Rees
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Worked like a charm!

• Two M10-1.5x40mm (10.9) hex head bolts (to make up for the increased stack height).
  • Red Loctite

I loosened the two front seat rail bolts. Then I removed the two rear seat rail bolts. I put red Locktite on the two new bolts.

I stacked three washers under both of the rear rail bolt holes and bolted things down. Not sure if I should have torqued the bolts, but they’re not going anywhere. :)

I love this forum!!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 667D59F1-C5F7-464A-968F-73FE6AD3DE1E

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 667D59F1-C5F7-464A-968F-73FE6AD3DE1E

Here is an option:
Order from Powder Coated Bolts - Route 66 Mods - Buy Individual pieces and kits!
M10-1.5x40mm Button Head Powder coated & M10 Flat Washers
Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor JL Seat Bolts

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Worked like a charm!

• Red Loctite

I love this forum!!!

How does that seat feel, after the angle change by adding a quarter inch under the rear mounts? I've thought that the JL seats were already pitched a little too far forward, kind of worried this might make worse? Could one also just add some washers under the front bolts?

rbkat

First Name
Rees
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How does that seat feel, after the angle change by adding a quarter inch under the rear mounts? I've thought that the JL seats were already pitched a little too far forward, kind of worried this might make worse? Could one also just add some washers under the front bolts?
I did not notice any change in comfort by adding 3 washers to the rear seats posts. Adding only to the rear allows clearance for the under seat electrical connectors after installing ARB under seat mount. Don't think washers to front is needed for clearance or concern re seat angle change.
Sponsored