2021 JLU Rubicon

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
What gauge is the wiring in the ARB switch harness? I need a longer run from the cargo to ignition on in the aux bundle at the passenger footwell. Looks like 16g maybe 18g.

I’m an electrical idiot. :).

BNTECHGO 16 Gauge Silicone Wire Kit 10 Color Each 5 ft Flexible 16 AWG Stranded Tinned Copper Wire https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7NWX7A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_MDc5FbA66S2F8?psc=1

?
Wire gauge for DC applications depends mostly on voltage and amperage (power), and round-trip distance. Other factors such as duty cycle, heat insulation, and variable loads also matter.

This is a great resource for calculating appropriate gauge for intended application:

Circuit Wizard - Blue Sea Systems

The ARB compressors pull about 35 amps at peak load. If you're putting them in your cargo area, which is about 15 feet away from the battery, I would use at least 10 gauge for each compressor.

Whatever you do, don't skimp on your wiring. It's not worth saving a few bucks on low quality wire or a gauge that's too small.

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Man oh man the provided ARB wire harness really are useless for a JL cargo area mounting spot. I reworked the switch harness, ran the 12v to the pass footwell, and even with that Up/Down main harness extension I’m short getting to the battery. Lol.

Just going to extend it myself....

So close!

FYI This video is a lifesaver.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
... I’m short getting to the battery. Lol.

So close! ...
I did the same install with the extension harness and had some slack in the wires. Ran through a slit in the carpet and down the side of the tub ... across the back of the driver's side rear passenger seat (there's a c-channel there that protects the wires) ... down through the drain hole under the passenger side rear passenger seat ... across the top of the fuel tank at an angle to the right side frame rail ... then followed the OEM wiring harness up to the firewall ... then up the firewall to the battery. I took a connector off each of the two wiring harnesses to feed the harnesses through the narrow areas.

If you live in the Phoenix east valley area it would be easy to take a look at my install.

Sponsored

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Man oh man the provided ARB wire harness really are useless for a JL cargo area mounting spot. I reworked the switch harness, ran the 12v to the pass footwell, and even with that Up/Down main harness extension I’m short getting to the battery. Lol.

So close!

FYI This video is a lifesaver.

I used this video as the basis for my install. I ran two 6 gage red wires and one 6 gage black all the way to the battery. I didnt use the More mount switch, I used Aux 4. I pared down the harness for just the compressor.

I ran the big wires to easily add other stuff in the future. I have already added a fridge.

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I did the same install with the extension harness and had some slack in the wires. Ran through a slit in the carpet and down the side of the tub ... across the back of the driver's side rear passenger seat (there's a c-channel there that protects the wires) ... down through the drain hole under the passenger side rear passenger seat ... across the top of the fuel tank at an angle to the right side frame rail ... then followed the OEM wiring harness up to the firewall ... then up the firewall to the battery. I took a connector off each of the two wiring harnesses to feed the harnesses through the narrow areas.

If you live in the Phoenix east valley area it would be easy to take a look at my install.
I’m in Gilbert. I was wanting to go up the driver side across the cowl to the battery. Had it ran out the drain hole closer to the driver side rear seat.

Had a tough time finding wire around me so just ordered some from Amazon. Ild love to make it work with what I have though. I may pull the connectors off and try the other way.

I’m so close to being done.

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I used this video as the basis for my install. I ran two 6 gage red wires and one 6 gage black all the way to the battery. I didnt use the More mount switch, I used Aux 4. I pared down the harness for just the compressor.

I ran the big wires to easily add other stuff in the future. I have already added a fridge.
Definitely using his video guideline. I hit him up on IG as well. Very nice and helpful guy.

Big Hoss

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU
For those of you who mounted the compressor under the passenger seat... did you kill the power at the batteries prior to disconnecting the air bag when you removed the seat, or is it ok to just unplug them?

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
How does the connector end of the ARB main harness come apart? For routing purpose. Want to try down the passenger side and more direct route.

Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
For those of you who mounted the compressor under the passenger seat... did you kill the power at the batteries prior to disconnecting the air bag when you removed the seat, or is it ok to just unplug them?
Service manual says to D/C the battery. I just unplugged. Not impossible to set off an airbag by unplugging a connector, but it would truly be a freak occurrence.

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I ordered through Northridge 4x4. They are a forum sponsor and an awesome company to deal with. They have everything in a package deal:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...e-compressor-mount-tire-pump-and-arb-manifold

Use coupon code JLWRANGLERFORUM

I won't lie. The wiring was very tedious. The actual wiring up is easy, but the routing is what gobbles time. Well worth it in the end.

Does your Rubi have the aux switches from the tow package? If so, you can use one of the wires in the bundle under the glove box. I used the power with ignition on wire. #5 in this pic:
12v source wires.jpeg

Oh yeah, youll need a main harness extension to reach the batteries. I got a 9ft one, but should've gotten the 11ft one.

Passenger Aux Wires.

Picture seems to conflict the correct wire to use. I’m thinking it’s the primarily pink wire with an orange stripe. Not the primarily orange one. Also are the black ends butt connectors or do we cut and splice?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Passenger Aux Wires.

Picture seems to conflict the correct wire to use. I’m thinking it’s the primarily pink wire with an orange stripe. Not the primarily orange one. Also are the black ends butt connectors or do we cut and splice?
I actually had a hard time telling the pink w/ orange stripe from the orange w/ pink stripe, so out came the meter to double check.

I was able to pull the black wire cap off. It's not a connector, just a safe guard from a dead short.
Sponsored