Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
pretty much yes, you still need to use the purple and black lead which goes to the aux switch.
no, that is a 500 amp relay that I can control from my Aux switch on the dash. I do this so I can turn on and off the compressor with the aux switch. Here is the link for the relay I used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082HMDMLG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm confused... are you using the purple/black wires, this battery isolator, or both in tandem to turn your compressor on and off? Seems like added complexity given that the compressor has its own built-in relay.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
I'm confused... are you using the purple/black wires, this battery isolator, or both in tandem to turn your compressor on and off? Seems like added complexity given that the compressor has its own built-in relay.
Yes, black to ground and purple to your aux switch.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Yes, black to ground and purple to your aux switch.
lol. I wasn't asking you for wiring advice, I kind of geek out on automotive wiring and am more than satisfied with how my compressor is installed. I was just trying to figure out the intended purpose of the heavy-duty solenoid/relay that you said you wired into your set-up.

Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
lol. I wasn't asking you for wiring advice, I kind of geek out on automotive wiring and am more than satisfied with how my compressor is installed. I was just trying to figure out the intended purpose of the heavy-duty solenoid/relay that you said you wired into your set-up.
oh, that is keep the compressor and winch dead without power when not in use.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
oh, that is keep the compressor and winch dead without power when not in use.
Oh, OK. So your winch and your compressor share a common power source then. I use a similar device to isolate power to my winch. Didn't see a good reason to isolate my compressor (it's fused and not accessible to vandals), but I can see how the winch isolator output would be a very convenient place to tap power for the compressor as well providing you with some added security when you've got your top off.

psucanary

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Oh, OK. So your winch and your compressor share a common power source then. I use a similar device to isolate power to my winch. Didn't see a good reason to isolate my compressor (it's fused and not accessible to vandals), but I can see how the winch isolator output would be a very convenient place to tap power for the compressor as well providing you with some added security when you've got your top off.

Quick question, may be a little ridiculous, but... Did you run the winch to a power interrupter (like warn's) then to battery, and your compressor straight to the battery also (i.e two separate power leads to the battery)? Or, did you use a fuse block or similar to run both power sources to?

I'm assuming one could run the winch power lead to the interrupter, then the interrupter to the batter, then a separate lead (compressor) to the same battery location as the interrupter?

Maybe an amateur question, just trying to understand more if running both to the battery is too not the best, or is just fine to so such.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Quick question, may be a little ridiculous, but... Did you run the winch to a power interrupter (like warn's) then to battery, and your compressor straight to the battery also (i.e two separate power leads to the battery)? Or, did you use a fuse block or similar to run both power sources to?
I do have two separate power leads to the battery, sort of... I have the Genesis Dual Battery Kit which has its own accessory power post. So two power leads, but I don't have a bunch of stuff stacked up on my positive battery terminal.

I'm assuming one could run the winch power lead to the interrupter, then the interrupter to the batter, then a separate lead (compressor) to the same battery location as the interrupter?
If I'm understanding you correctly, this is pretty much how Rangemaster ran his. Electrically it's all the same regardless of where it is hooked up, it just makes the wiring run a little longer/shorter depending on the configuration you choose. Also, depending on which isolator post you hook your compressor up to, it will either be always hot, or only hot when the isolator is activated.

Maybe an amateur question, just trying to understand more if running both to the battery is too not the best, or is just fine to so such.
Both to the battery, or both to the isolator. Either is fine. Just make sure that the wiring used is fused properly and capable of handling the load. Winch power is typically not fused, your compressor leads definitely should be. The wiring included with the isolator kit should be more than capable too, especially since I'm assuming you have no plans of running your winch and your compressor simultaneously.

I've got a bunch of wiring stuff in my build thread if you're looking for ideas. Haven't quite gotten to finishing up the compressor install documentation yet though.

Last edited:

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
I’m prepping my compressor on the ARB under seat mount, trying to tidy things up so I put the excess wire from the switch loom next to one of the compressors, is this area going to get too hot for the wire loom?

Once installed, how much room is there under the compressor?

05FCBCFF-E716-4BEC-8DD3-B7353FE27CDD.jpeg

Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
It gets very hot to the touch after it's been running for awhile, but I don't think it will melt the wiring or anything. I personally would cut off all the excess wiring unless you intend to use it down the road.

As for clearance under the compressor, very little. Thus the reason they have you cut out the carpet and route the braided airline between the compressors. If you have the compressor brackets mounted to the compressor, just flip it on its back and lay a piece of cardboard (or other flat surface) across the mounting feet. That should give you a pretty good idea of what kind of space you're working with.

Reactions: TRZ

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Cutting carpet and running line a different way? If you don’t want to cut the carpet and do that get the JK innovation bracket. None of that nonsense.

Also that wire loom will be fine. It isnt going to get hot enough to melt that for sure.

psucanary

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I do have two separate power leads to the battery, sort of... I have the Genesis Dual Battery Kit which has its own accessory power post. So two power leads, but I don't have a bunch of stuff stacked up on my positive battery terminal.

If I'm understanding you correctly, this is pretty much how Rangemaster ran his. Electrically it's all the same regardless of where it is hooked up, it just makes the wiring run a little longer/shorter depending on the configuration you choose. Also, depending on which isolator post you hook your compressor up to, it will either be always hot, or only hot when the isolator is activated.

Both to the battery, or both to the isolator. Either is fine. Just make sure that the wiring used is fused properly and capable of handling the load. Winch power is typically not fused, your compressor leads definitely should be. The wiring included with the isolator kit should be more than capable too, especially since I'm assuming you have no plans of running your winch and your compressor simultaneously.

I've got a bunch of wiring stuff in my build thread if you're looking for ideas. Haven't quite gotten to finishing up the compressor install documentation yet though.

Thanks so much for the detailed response! I think I'm headed in the right direction.. now time for the hardest step; parting with the cash.. haha

Thanks again!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Under the passenger seat wired to AUX switch was the way to go for me. Out of the way, quiet, doesn’t take up any useful space in the cabin. I haven’t encountered issues with excessive heat or damage from being kicked by back seat passengers. Only 1 issue with wiring that I didn’t route properly, that got corrected.
Sponsored