Sponsored

Mounting ARB Air Compressor

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
I really like @LUV2JEEP setup but can't afford to give up that much space in my JL. I am going an unconventional route. I have a MORE mount behind the drivers seat. From the compressor and the ARB remote quick connect the air hoses run to underneath the drivers seat. There they have quick connects that allow them to be plug in together if necessary. I have a 25 foot air hose that is coiled up under the seat that the two air lines plug into. This is what I use for my "cool down space". And if I need more air hose I just pull the one out from under the seat and plug the airlines from the compressor and the ARB remote quick connect together and now I have an additional 25 feet of air hose from the ARB remote quick connect.
Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I really like @LUV2JEEP setup but can't afford to give up that much space in my JL. I am going an unconventional route. I have a MORE mount behind the drivers seat. From the compressor and the ARB remote quick connect the air hoses run to underneath the drivers seat. There they have quick connects that allow them to be plug in together if necessary. I have a 25 foot air hose that is coiled up under the seat that the two air lines plug into. This is what I use for my "cool down space". And if I need more air hose I just pull the one out from under the seat and plug the airlines from the compressor and the ARB remote quick connect together and now I have an additional 25 feet of air hose from the ARB remote quick connect.
I have the MORE mounted ARB Twin and am wondering why you needed more than the kit hose. And what is a “cool down space”.

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I ordered through Northridge 4x4. They are a forum sponsor and an awesome company to deal with. They have everything in a package deal:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...e-compressor-mount-tire-pump-and-arb-manifold

Use coupon code JLWRANGLERFORUM

I won't lie. The wiring was very tedious. The actual wiring up is easy, but the routing is what gobbles time. Well worth it in the end.

Does your Rubi have the aux switches from the tow package? If so, you can use one of the wires in the bundle under the glove box. I used the power with ignition on wire. #5 in this pic:
12v source wires.jpeg

Oh yeah, youll need a main harness extension to reach the batteries. I got a 9ft one, but should've gotten the 11ft one.
Did you trim down the provided wire harnesses? I’ve seen the hour long video where the guy splices and dices them up. Seems like a lot of extra work that I might just mess up.

It doesn’t seem like there are lots of wires to actually run; to the battery and then the power to under the glove box.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Did you trim down the provided wire harnesses? I’ve seen the hour long video where the guy splices and dices them up. Seems like a lot of extra work that I might just mess up.

It doesn’t seem like there are lots of wires to actually run; to the battery and then the power to under the glove box.
Yes, I did a similar thing to mine as that guy did to his. It's easier than you think, and you don't end up having to stow a big birds nest of unused wiring somewhere.

The hardest and most time consuming part, is routing the harness. Or, at least it is when keeping it all inside the jeep, and having to breach the firewall. The guy in that video went the easier and quicker route, by going through a floor drain back by the compressor.

If I had it to do again, I'd route the main power harness externally. But I'd want to run it up the driver side frame rail, rather than up and over the fuel tank. It's easier and cleaner to cross over to the passenger side at the top of the firewall. The single wire to be connected under the glove box, would be much easier to route inside the cabin. Most of my frustration was from dealing with such a fat harness, with not a lot of room to work with. I also didn't run the lighted arb switch to a dimmable circuit. I jumped it off the wire coming from the glove box.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
The hardest and most time consuming part, is routing the harness. Or, at least it is when keeping it all inside the jeep, and having to breach the firewall. The guy in that video went the easier and quicker route, by going through a floor drain back by the compressor.

If I had it to do again, I'd route the main power harness externally. But I'd want to run it up the driver side frame rail, rather than up and over the fuel tank. It's easier and cleaner to cross over to the passenger side at the top of the firewall. The single wire to be connected under the glove box, would be much easier to route inside the cabin. Most of my frustration was from dealing with such a fat harness, with not a lot of room to work with. I also didn't run the lighted arb switch to a dimmable circuit. I jumped it off the wire coming from the glove box.
I ran it via the drain plug under the rear passenger seat like he did in the video. It was surprisingly easy and didn't take too long (very good instructions). After installing the aux button through the grommet, I decided to do it the easy way this time. I also ran an extra wire in the harness I created for the auxiliary buttons by the battery for on/off.

Sponsored

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
thanks guys. while it is just three wires i think it's the splicing and dicing of the supplied wire harnesses that have me concerned. i have no electrical experience outside of YouTube school... :)

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
The hardest and most time consuming part, is routing the harness. Or, at least it is when keeping it all inside the jeep, and having to breach the firewall.
I recall watching a YouTube channel where the host (way of life?) installed an air compressor on the inner front driver’s side of the fender of his Jeep. As I recall, it was a very clean install and he tapped into the factory prewiring that was already there for the AUX switches.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I recall watching a YouTube channel where the host (way of life?) installed an air compressor on the inner front driver’s side of the fender of his Jeep. As I recall, it was a very clean install and he tapped into the factory prewiring that was already there for the AUX switches.
I opted for the cargo area because it keeps the compressor and its air intakes out of the elements. Also, a lot of high tuck aftermarket fender liners don't allow enough room for compressor behind it. I've seen some pics of people that cut holes out of their aluminum liners to relieve the compressor. Seems to defeat the point of the liner.

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
I have the MORE mounted ARB Twin and am wondering why you needed more than the kit hose. And what is a “cool down space”.
I originally thought that using a hose would suffice instead of an air tank thus allowing the air to become closer to the ambient temperature. That way I would not be putting hot air into tires. In practice this is proving to be not as good as my theory. I am going back to a straight air draw with a water separator between the ARB plug and my hose.

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I’m only finding this extension which is 90” or 7.5 feet.

Up Down Air ARB CKMTA12 90" Wiring Harness Extender https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MJHX6SL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_2nr3Fb2JGN5WK

It it extends the provided one this seems long enough.

Are the pictured wires above accessible or do the trim pieces need to come off. There’s a few bundles jammed in down there...

Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
I’m only finding this extension which is 90” or 7.5 feet.

Up Down Air ARB CKMTA12 90" Wiring Harness Extender https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MJHX6SL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_2nr3Fb2JGN5WK

It it extends the provided one this seems long enough.

Are the pictured wires above accessible or do the trim pieces need to come off. There’s a few bundles jammed in down there...
i used this one on my jeep, and it was pretty much plug and play.
https://expeditionessentials.com/products/bedside-compressor-mount-extension-harness

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 4915920E-C527-48FE-94E9-856A360E0B34
Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 990E95A1-5C5B-4E29-9D44-D8F2E5603D40
Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor F879CB5C-8158-436B-A44B-48420019050A
Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 09EB9123-B473-4B53-9B26-66F6D92FFCB4
Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor F7E67BB6-51DB-4D0B-BC4D-C2A7B466818C

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
I did come across that one. So with it you you basically toss the ARB spider web mess :) and wired it an Aux switch? Verse running the single wire up under the dash so power is turned on with the vehicle?

Appreciate the pics!
pretty much yes, you still need to use the purple and black lead which goes to the aux switch.

PNWracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
No issues. Does not interfere with seat motion at all. No need to move the seat. The 4-tire inflation kit also works fine.

Do you have pictures of this install? I have a two door and looking at the under seat mount by Innovative products. All the pictures I have found have been 4 doors. Looks like the two door seat mounts will have the compressor sitting farther back than a 4 door.

Encino Stan

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Java Developer
Do you have pictures of this install? I have a two door and looking at the under seat mount by Innovative products. All the pictures I have found have been 4 doors. Looks like the two door seat mounts will have the compressor sitting farther back than a 4 door.
2-dr or 4-dr, looks like the Innovative mount is way further back than the ARB mount.

Instructions on Innovation mount just say to remove the 2 rear bolts that secure the passenger seat, lift the seat slightly and slide the mounting plate under the seat legs from the rear of the seat, then Bolt seat back in place.

The instructions for the ARB mount require removing the seat, cutting 7-7/8" off the HVAC duct, and removing a section of carpet so it mounts closer to front.
Sponsored