Mounting ARB Air Compressor

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Has anybody seen this? Obviously only works for the ARB single, but still. Would love to hear other thoughts.

This is IT! I was going to buy twins but now one single in this location and I already have another and can easily find a spot in the rear. THANKS FOR POSTING!!
Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
This is IT! I was going to buy twins but now one single in this location and I already have another and can easily find a spot in the rear. THANKS FOR POSTING!!
Doesn't this seem to easy??? I feel like it can't be this easy. The guy who posted the video is interesting. I think he is an engineer or some kind and lives is guam. his take on stuff is interesting, assuming he knows what he's talking about.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Doesn't this seem to easy??? I feel like it can't be this easy. The guy who posted the video is interesting. I think he is an engineer or some kind and lives is guam. his take on stuff is interesting, assuming he knows what he's talking about.
lol, yeah he says as much. His take on the driver side location is the same as mine. Same for ease of access to the unit. this is important, for me anyway.

Funny he didnt mention the under the seat spot. I nixed that too for the ease of access reason on the 4 door anyway.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lol, yeah he says as much. His take on the driver side location is the same as mine. Same for ease of access to the unit. this is important, for me anyway.

Funny he didnt mention the under the seat spot. I nixed that too for the ease of access reason on the 4 door anyway.
I live in iowa and the winter salt and crud on the roads.... that front drivers side wheel well just seems like a bad idea, for me at least. Salt would destroy that and I don't want to have to replace, or better yet find out it doesn't work when I get off a trail. The heat is also a big issue, like he said.

And I really wanted to avoid being inside. I debated the dual compressor below the passenger seat. I just mostly don't want the noise inside when I air up. If my wife wants to sit in the AC for a bit while I'm airing up, or I do for that matter, the compressor would just be so loud. Plus running wires to the engine or getting an air chuck outside so I could leave the jeep closed.

But this.... it seams too simple. and gives me great justification to not need the dual ARB, that I likely didn't need anyway. I watched this video like 3 times and was expecting it to be commented on here but nothing. Had to share it and get some thoughts from those smarter than me. If for 250$ I can get rid of my smittybilt and not have to clamp on to the battery and have wired to my aux switches. That's exciting. And I kind of agree, the engine looks cool with the cover off of it. Looks more like the SRT or hellcat motor.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I live in iowa and the winter salt and crud on the roads.... that front drivers side wheel well just seems like a bad idea, for me at least. Salt would destroy that and I don't want to have to replace, or better yet find out it doesn't work when I get off a trail. The heat is also a big issue, like he said.

And I really wanted to avoid being inside. I debated the dual compressor below the passenger seat. I just mostly don't want the noise inside when I air up. If my wife wants to sit in the AC for a bit while I'm airing up, or I do for that matter, the compressor would just be so loud. Plus running wires to the engine or getting an air chuck outside so I could leave the jeep closed.

But this.... it seams too simple. and gives me great justification to not need the dual ARB, that I likely didn't need anyway. I watched this video like 3 times and was expecting it to be commented on here but nothing. Had to share it and get some thoughts from those smarter than me. If for 250$ I can get rid of my smittybilt and not have to clamp on to the battery and have wired to my aux switches. That's exciting. And I kind of agree, the engine looks cool with the cover off of it. Looks more like the SRT or hellcat motor.
I like the look of engine cover but like it better off for 3 reasons now. Compressor, likely better heat dissipation, and less area for mice to find a home.

I garage my rig but it says outside the house on occasion and it doesnt take long for critters to explore. Also when camping this is a big issue as well.

Going to check it out this weekend, might remove the hood blanket as well and look into making the hood vent a real vent.

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like the look of engine cover but like it better off for 3 reasons now. Compressor, likely better heat dissipation, and less area for mice to find a home.

I garage my rig but it says outside the house on occasion and it doesnt take long for critters to explore. Also when camping this is a big issue as well.

Going to check it out this weekend, might remove the hood blanket as well and look into making the hood vent a real vent.
PM me if you do. I'm super curious. I've also debated taking the hood blanket off. A couple comments about it being for heat and that heat could discolor the hood made me nervous. I have a white JL and my grill discolored a small amount, which I think is heat related. Some had to have their's repainted but it was warranty. I'd be super bummed if I yellowed my hood. Oh, also... I was curious if you could make those actual vent but still not get water and crap in the engine. I do like now that my engine stays relatively clean and doesn't fill with water during rain or slushy roads in the winter. Probably just a midwest thing. Anyway, curious what you come up with.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
For those with trepidation about the under seat mounting location, do you frequently (or really ever) need to access the compressor? For what? This is my first on board air compressor and I mounted it under the seat. I didn’t anticipate needing to get to it often. Did I neglect to factor something in?

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
For those with trepidation about the under seat mounting location, do you frequently (or really ever) need to access the compressor? For what? This is my first on board air compressor and I mounted it under the seat. I didn’t anticipate needing to get to it often. Did I neglect to factor something in?
Amen. No clue what folks are talking about. I had it in the engine bay, worst conditions for 2 years and guess what never needed to get to it. The only thing I can imagine is maybe to change the filters but in the under seat you can get right to them. Instead would would rather have the big ugly thing sitting somewhere that it can be seen for ease of access that they will never need. Seems silly but too each their own. Also the sound, come on. The compressor is not that loud and takes like 5 minutes to fill up all 4.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
If just using it for a compressor the likelihood of needing access is pretty remote I would think. Unless of course you want to change things then it's a PITA with the 4 door.

If one ends up with ARB lockers and you have issues diagnosis is REALLY hampered if it's under the seat or under the hood by the driver side cowling.

For ME easy access means if I change axles (w ARB's) it's all right there. If I want to run another line to perhaps a tank later on it's right there. If I want to run another line to the back of the jeep, it's right there. On and on.

Not saying the under the seat thing is a bad idea. I think it's kind of smart, but it does have drawbacks if you want flexibility.

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Amen. No clue what folks are talking about. I had it in the engine bay, worst conditions for 2 years and guess what never needed to get to it. The only thing I can imagine is maybe to change the filters but in the under seat you can get right to them. Instead would would rather have the big ugly thing sitting somewhere that it can be seen for ease of access that they will never need. Seems silly but too each their own. Also the sound, come on. The compressor is not that loud and takes like 5 minutes to fill up all 4.
I've had ARB compressors under the hood since 2000. Greatest place for them IF you have ARB lockers. Several times I had to get to the compressor/components to diagnosis issues. Didnt happen a lot but what a cluster if you had to remove the seat to get to the compressor.

But like I said if you just use the compressor to air your tires it's no biggy, but you still lack the flexibility (not to mention ease of install, just wow!)of this current NEW setup.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I would prefer it under the hood simply for the ease of wiring.
No kidding. I have a spare single that so far been keeping loose in my bag until I figure out a permanent solution. Hoping this is it!! I'll post up when I do it.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Just discovered this mount. I may look into fabbing my own for this location. Mine is under the hood and it keeps overheating on me (even with a heat shield and extended air intakes). I HAVE to open the hood when it’s running. I also have the gladiator grill inserts, no hood blanket, cut out hood vents, and vented the plastic fender liner!

https://www.quadratec.com/p/up-down...late-mounting-install-kit-wrangler-jl-22-1819

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Just discovered this mount. I may look into fabbing my own for this location. Mine is under the hood and it keeps overheating on me (even with a heat shield and extended air intakes). I HAVE to open the hood when it’s running. I also have the gladiator grill inserts, no hood blanket, cut out hood vents, and vented the plastic fender liner!

https://www.quadratec.com/p/up-down...late-mounting-install-kit-wrangler-jl-22-1819
Glad you posted. So that driver side area is too hot. Interesting, I thought the ARB's could take it.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
Glad you posted. So that driver side area is too hot. Interesting, I thought the ARB's could take it.

On my JK I had an under hood mount for the single compressor that placed it directly over the drivers side exhaust manifolds. After a day of wheeling I'd get maybe 5min of use out of it before it would go into thermal and shut down.

njXfaSsn6Ycqb8gVKU7_XjULqO2&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg
Sponsored