First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Java Developer
For those that are using the ARB under seat bracket for the ARB twin compressor ...
Does the mounting affect foot room? Where does the compressor set in relation to the seat (front, middle, back)? My wife is concerned that the backseat passenger will be loosing foot space.

Trying to decide between the ARB under seat and the DV8 fender mount.
Sponsored

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
For those that are using the ARB under seat bracket for the ARB twin compressor ...
Does the mounting affect foot room? Where does the compressor set in relation to the seat (front, middle, back)? My wife is concerned that the backseat passenger will be loosing foot space.

I want to say earlier in this thread there is a pick of it and it sits right under the seat. theres a back plate so the back seat people don't kick and catch the wires and it doesn't affect the leg space of the passenger seat. Other than the bracket is on back order its probably one of the safer spots to secure it unless you want to put it right behind the rear seat using the M.O.R.E bracket.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain

You can get a good look at the position in my install pics. It sits a couple inches in front of the stock floor mat. Definitely not an issue for kids, and not an issue for an adult unless they were really trying to stretch out their legs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 1600128216190

Go4Low

First Name
Jorel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
UPDATE to the below, Trial and Error: I removed my grimm since I'll be relocating it. The header wrap didn't seem to hold up very well. Seem to have dry rotted from the heat, water and dirt cycle. I'd imagine after a while, the material would start to fall off by itself.

This is my Grimm compressor mount. I was concerned about heat, but I used header wrap on my catalytic converter. I can't say how much or if there is any reduction in heat. Either case, I consider the wrap as cheap insurance with the provided heat shield. I wrapped it to where it had room to vent on the inside. At worst, the catalytic converter may wear out faster.

The only concern I have at the moment is that I am not sure if/what aftermarket inner fender liners will work. From looking at the lines, I'd say at least some inner liners will not work with this setup.

I am interested in the AAL inner liners. If anyone has this setup with aftermarket inner liners please share your experience.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 20200807_144022

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 20200807_182025

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 20200807_182116

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 20200807_191907

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 20200807_205054

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 20200807_205054

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 20200811_085553

Last edited:

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
You can get a good look at the position in my install pics. It sits a couple inches in front of the stock floor mat. Definitely not an issue for kids, and not an issue for an adult unless they were really trying to stretch out their legs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 20200811_085553
Did you install a gallon air tank also or just the custom manifold? Looks super clean. Can’t wait till my bracket shows up which is supposed to be soon.
What size tires do you run and how quickly does it take to re-inflate them from a low psi?(I feel like I’ve asked this question before)

Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Did you install a gallon air tank also or just the custom manifold? Looks super clean. Can’t wait till my bracket shows up which is supposed to be soon.
What size tires do you run and how quickly does it take to re-inflate them from a low psi?(I feel like I’ve asked this question before)
No, no tank. I had one on my last Jeep and it was pretty useless for my needs. You get a quick 5-10 second boost off the tank when you start filling a tire, and then the rest of the time the compressor is just running anyways.

With all 4 of my tires (315/70R17) hooked up at the same time, the manifold deflates them from 30 to 10psi in 3:45, and the ARB dual fills them from 10 to 30psi in 5:15.

Encino Stan

First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Java Developer
Got my air outlet brackets finished up to complete this install. Mocked these brackets up with cardboard, then transferred them to some 1/8” steel strips. 3/4” hole allows for a bulkhead to screw the ARB outlet into, the two small holes match up with existing holes on the seat frames.

1F745731-81A3-4C0D-9C41-456A80AE0A2C.jpeg

I tried installing the outlet directly into the bulkhead, but due to the slight downward angle of the seat frame, it made it difficult to insert anything into the outlet without scuffing the door sill trim. Came up with a solution that worked perfectly using a 1/4M to 1/4F adapter and a 45 degree street elbow.

7C98AA92-5AD4-4FFC-9D57-E88B41E53A87.jpeg

Doesn’t stick out too far, provides easy access, and is nice and sturdy. Installed one under each seat. Made up two double hoses with “Y” splitters so I can air up/down all 4 tires at once.

66329B2A-DC5F-4F7E-AAB6-A757A2B82086.jpeg

EB916D4E-46FF-4A0F-A5DA-35C89A0575F2.jpeg

With all 4 of my tires (315/70R17) hooked up at the same time, the manifold deflates them from 30 to 10psi in 3:45, and the ARB dual fills them from 10 to 30psi in 5:15.
Can you clarify "installed one under each seat. Made up two double hoses with “Y” splitters so I can air up/down all 4 tires at once." Do you mean there are 2 outlets (passenger and driver)? And you have a splitter running front and back for each side? Does the ARB deflate as well as inflate?
Is your setup something like this?
https://updownair.com/product/218-1819-jeep-jl-engine-mount/

Last edited:

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
No, no tank. I had one on my last Jeep and it was pretty useless for my needs. You get a quick 5-10 second boost off the tank when you start filling a tire, and then the rest of the time the compressor is just running anyways.

I think I need to make one of those air hoses that you hook all 4 tires up at the same time. Brad from trail recon made one from supplies from the local hardware store.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Can you clarify "installed one under each seat. Made up two double hoses with “Y” splitters so I can air up/down all 4 tires at once." Do you mean there are 2 outlets (passenger and driver)? And you have a splitter running front and back for each side? Does the ARB deflate as well as inflate?
Sorry, don’t have a picture of the whole setup fully assembled. Here is a picture of the splitters I’m using:

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor C06AA644-3EBF-4DC9-9821-D1B88E700009

One of these plugs into the outlet under the front seat on either side of the Jeep. A short length of hose with a Haltec chuck is attached to each barb. One hose on each side supplies the front tire, and the other supplies the rear.

As for deflation, the ARB itself doesn’t deflate the tires. A 3/8” ball valve is installed in one of the ports in my manifold. I just open the valve to let the air out.

Similar In function to the up down air, except that Instead of having permanent lines plumbed to Schrader valves in each wheel well, I just plug in my hoses and then connect them to the tires. Easier install, no exposed air lines outside the vehicle, less connections (potential failure points), no valve stems in the wheel wells to get coated in mud. Being able to do all 4 tires at once is a game changer regardless of how you approach it, I just built a system that works for me and takes advantage of the under seat mount.

Last edited:

Call911man

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Bought and installed the Grimm ARB Dual Compressor Bracket. A little pricey, but great quality and well engineered. Loved it for about one week. That's when I went to install my Metalcloak inner fender liner and found that the two are not compatible. Discovered that it's only guaranteed to fit behind the OEM fender liners. Opps. In all fairness, Grimm did mention this problem down (way down) in the fine print:

"This bracket kit will fit with stock inner fenders in place. It has not been tested with aftermarket inner fenders."

Had sold my compressor in a box, so needed a quick fix. Bought the M.O.R.E. bracket, that I've been avoiding forever. Also found a main power extension harness that made the installation much easier: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MJHX6SL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Removed a connector from the extension harness to fish the harness under the carpeting and out through the floor plug over the fuel tank. Then removed a connector from the ARB power harness to fish it down along the firewall to the frame. Once the two harnesses were in place I reinstalled the two connectors and joined them together. Could have soldered the ends together, but the connectors are waterproof, so left them in place.

Not elegant, but a reasonable solution.
Sorry to hear of your trouble. For others that have not purchased fender liners, the EVO liners do work as do the EVO coilovers with a little grinding and had to install the Grimm bracket and compressor before the coilover bracket.

Sponsored

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor C06AA644-3EBF-4DC9-9821-D1B88E700009
My kids and even my wife didn't even know it was there, from the back seat, until I turned it on. Built mine with the JK Innovative Products hose setup, but used the ARB bracket.

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
Sorry, don’t have a picture of the whole setup fully assembled. Here is a picture of the splitters I’m using:

One of these plugs into the outlet under the front seat on either side of the Jeep. A short length of hose with a Haltec chuck is attached to each barb. One hose on each side supplies the front tire, and the other supplies the rear.

As for deflation, the ARB itself doesn’t deflate the tires. A 3/8” ball valve is installed in one of the ports in my manifold. I just open the valve to let the air out.

Similar In function to the up down air, except that Instead of having permanent lines plumbed to Schrader valves in each wheel well, I just plug in my hoses and then connect them to the tires. Easier install, no exposed air lines outside the vehicle, less connections (potential failure points), no valve stems in the wheel wells to get coated in mud. Being able to do all 4 tires at once is a game changer regardless of how you approach it, I just built a system that works for me and takes advantage of the under seat mount.
That's the same reason I used the JK Innovative Products 4 tire inflation/deflation (with their deflate gauge tool) - didn't have to run permanent lines under the vehicle. I just pull the hoses out of their bag and hook them up on each side.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This is my Grimm compressor mount. I was concerned about heat, but I used header wrap on my catalytic converter. I can't say how much or if there is any reduction in heat. Either case, I consider the wrap as cheap insurance with the provided heat shield. I wrapped it to where it had room to vent on the inside. At worst, the catalytic converter may wear out faster.

The only concern I have at the moment is that I am not sure if/what aftermarket inner fender liners will work. From looking at the lines, I'd say at least some inner liners will not work with this setup.

I am interested in the AAL inner liners. If anyone has this setup with aftermarket inner liners please share your experience.

I would be careful using exhaust wrap on the cat. They're designed to operate at a set temp range and the wrap could cause them to get too hot and fail prematurely. Years ago a buddy had the two pre-cats wrapped on his TJ with a 4.0 and get a CEL. Took it to the dealer and was denied warranty service due to the exhaust wrap.

Either a pre-made or custom heat shield would probably be better at blocking the radiant heat without affecting the emissions warranty. Those cats are expensive to replace.

Go4Low

First Name
Jorel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thanks for the info on that.

I was kind of wondering he same thing, but wasn't sure. Thanks for the INFO. The compressor already has a heat shield and I may very well not need to wrap it. I think I'll at least cut the wrap top and bottom/keep maybe the quarter side where the compressor is mounted.

Call911man

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

20200807_144022.jpg

20200807_182025.jpg

20200807_182116.jpg

20200807_191907.jpg

20200807_205054.jpg

20200807_205054.jpg

20200811_085553.jpg
I used the Grimm mount with EVO inner fenders. Good luck
Sponsored