First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08KK, 21JLU
Occupation
Sales Engineer
For those that did not get the Tech Group in Sport S, is the slot for the air filter still there? Standard on all JL's?
Sponsored

XT Carol

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon 3.6L V6
Nice DIY writeup & pictures, helped a bunch! I assumed it only filters outside incoming air, but looking at it I think it also filters the inside air on Recirculate setting. How great for allergies!

OP
OP
TrailTorque

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
For those that did not get the Tech Group in Sport S, is the slot for the air filter still there? Standard on all JL's?
Sorry for the delay man, I believe it should be standard across the board but I could be wrong. I don’t see why they would change it. Only one way to find out though haha

Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailTorque

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Nice DIY writeup & pictures, helped a bunch! I assumed it only filters outside incoming air, but looking at it I think it also filters the inside air on Recirculate setting. How great for allergies!
Yes it’s a must do especially if you suffer from allergies frequently! I couldn’t believe just how dirty mine was.

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Approx replacement time took .25 of a beer.

The replacement Mopar Cabin Air-Filter costs approx $27.00 dollars total including shipping. I’m sure you can get them for less with a little research.

*Beware, dealerships typically charge $50-$70 labor/material for this replacement. It’s far too easy to pay that premium IMO.

Mopar Part # 68301863.

It is recommended by Jeep to have it replaced at approx 20k-30k miles. I replaced mine today and I have 30k miles on the ODO.

Okay, now for the fun:

Step 1 - Locate your glove box and open it:

(It’s dirty, don’t judge me)
05E10F90-ACF2-497A-B44D-D47F0E7D7781.jpeg

Step 2 - Locate the Soft Open Support located on the LEFT side of the globe box.

Push UP until your hear a loud click, once you’ve heard the click pull OUT AWAY from the glove box GENTLY.

E715118F-E36E-4EA1-B122-A07B66F51EC9.jpeg

Move the soft open support up and out of the way as shown below:

DCCFDF95-B51E-472E-B1ED-1EDEA6C2B77F.jpeg

Step 3 - Locate Retainer Tab at the top of the globe box.

With your left hand hold and slightly push the glove box towards the closed position and with your right hand push UP on the tab. Once the tab is pushed UP your glove box can be removed freely.

90DC7E64-B3CD-464D-8482-26F6759ED708.jpeg

Step 4 - Locate the HVAC Access Door, Pinch Clip and remove:

33E46C2D-D70C-4BB4-9036-ED4044B94B7E.jpeg

3D39D254-5474-4B8E-9C21-056CA3707CB5.jpeg

Step 5 - Remove Cabin Air-Filter by slightly pinching and pulling. It’s accordion design will allow you to do this:

494FB805-A3E4-47E2-B779-8D1F5F05B169.jpeg

Step 6 - Grab your new Cabin Air-Filter and insert into the empty compartment you just pulled the old one out of. AGAIN it’s is OKAY to pinch/bend it to get it in the compartment due to its design.

EB669451-A95A-42D5-B86B-238038377CC4.jpeg

Step 7 - Reinstall the HVAC compartment Access Door. On the LEFT of the Access Door there is a clip you must pinch (just like you did when you removed it) AND on the right side of the Access Door there is male end that must be inserted into a cutout around that corner. You WILL be able to accomplish by feel as you cannot see it physically.

17BB0A25-2BC3-488D-8367-F51103CA1C28.jpeg

DFD32E76-A483-4586-BC4A-E4F39A914B6C.jpeg

Step 8 - Reinstall glove box by reversing removal steps:

Line up male ends on the BOTTOM of the glove box with cutouts:

BB63B330-9652-4BBD-91EC-38F7D9358D18.jpeg

Locate and press UP on Retaining Tab and slightly push glove box to closed position. Now your glove box can rest freely as you reinstall the Soft Open Support.

E8CAC78C-1E37-4503-B64A-337B1C34654C.jpeg

Reinstall Soft Open Support by reversing removal process:

Slightly nudge glove box to the closed position and line up Soft Open Support male end to cutout/hole on glove box.

Insert male end into cutout/hole and press DOWN until you hear a loud click.

E715118F-E36E-4EA1-B122-A07B66F51EC9.jpeg

And there you have it! All finished! Super easy wasn’t it?!

BEFORE AND AFTER:

07045473-9CAD-4178-B4A2-877C9E9AEF97.jpeg
FC810E59-7B01-4828-AD16-F0E691AD9FEC.jpeg
I saw the K&N came out with a cleanable two piece filter. Do you think its worth it? Awesome write up! Tried to go to the local Autozone over here and they didn't have a stock filter. I took mine out and it is pretty rough looking after hitting our one and only legal off-road trail out here in Oahu, Hawaii called Peacock Flats. Might have to order one from Amazon. Again thank you for the well detailed write!

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I saw the K&N came out with a cleanable two piece filter. Do you think its worth it? Awesome write up! Tried to go to the local Autozone over here and they didn't have a stock filter. I took mine out and it is pretty rough looking after hitting our one and only legal off-road trail out here in Oahu, Hawaii called Peacock Flats. Might have to order one from Amazon. Again thank you for the well detailed write!
I was wondering about the K&N cabin filter too. It seems like it would be worth having it if you plan to keep the jeel for a few years. K&N is about $66 and a Wix cabin filter is about $22. Im guessing these are dry, not oiled?

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I was wondering about the K&N cabin filter too. It seems like it would be worth having it if you plan to keep the jeel for a few years. K&N is about $66 and a Wix cabin filter is about $22. Im guessing these are dry, not oiled?
I want to say yes they’re dry and can be cleaned. I swapped out the main air filter with a aFe filter after a time in the trail that everything in the engine compartment got covered in mud(even in the air box).

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yes they're dry. K&N recommends the use of their Cabin Filter Cleaning Care Kit (part# 99-6000) in order to clean and restore/increase the electrostatic properties of the filter.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailTorque

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Yes they're dry. K&N recommends the use of their Cabin Filter Cleaning Care Kit (part# 99-6000) in order to clean and restore/increase the electrostatic properties of the filter.
^This! And thanks for sharing for those guys.

@shadowmoto17
@Bryce

In addition, yes I think it would be worth it and would technically pay itself off in just (3) filter replacements and/or 90k miles.

In retrospect I probably should have went that route but I am a total weirdo about having things done on or just before time. That said, I knew I had to drive it the next day and had already ordered the stock filter and was edging on exactly 30k at that point. I typically like getting all maintenance completed within 70 to 100 miles of actual PM mileage requirements. The next change at 60k I will likely go that route.

Also, to note, the K&N actually somehow fits better or doesn’t require pinching and maneuvering it into the slot which is actually kind of strange because the slot goes past/opens up more around that corner.. Very curious on fitment and if it covers the entire space. I’m sure it does somehow.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
^This! And thanks for sharing for those guys.

@shadowmoto17
@Bryce

In addition, yes I think it would be worth it and would technically pay itself off in just (3) filter replacements and/or 90k miles.

In retrospect I probably should have went that route but I am a total weirdo about having things done on or just before time. That said, I knew I had to drive it the next day and had already ordered the stock filter and was edging on exactly 30k at that point. I typically like getting all maintenance completed within 70 to 100 miles of actual PM mileage requirements. The next change at 60k I will likely go that route.

Also, to note, the K&N actually somehow fits better or doesn’t require pinching and maneuvering it into the slot which is actually kind of strange because the slot goes past/opens up more around that corner.. Very curious on fitment and if it covers the entire space. I’m sure it does somehow.
I think the K&N is a 2 piece filter, so you put one section in and push it to the passenger/right side to get it around the corner. Then you put in the other part on the left/dirvers side to fill on the rest of the filter compartment

20200430_080101.jpg

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I think the K&N is a 2 piece filter, so you put one section in and push it to the passenger/right side to get it around the corner. Then you put in the other part on the left/dirvers side to fill on the rest of the filter compartment

20200430_080101.jpg
From what I've seen of the installation(was either a video or the instructions), you put the one in and slide it to the right and then put the other one it. I'm curious how tight the fit is though. I'll go ahead and order one from Amazon. Hopefully I remember to take pics before and during the install.

shadowmoto17

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Very simple install and they fit tight but not too tight together that it was hard to get them in. Yes it’s a two piece. Probably the hardest part was getting the door back on that holds them in there, and it’s not the filter but just the awkwardness of how the door goes back in.

A0C6B0C7-078A-40E2-8ECE-4CB841C724F2.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TrailTorque

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Very simple install and they fit right but not too tight together that it was hard to get them in. Yes it’s a two piece. Probably the hardest part was getting the door back on that holds them in there, and it’s not the filter but just the awkwardness of how the door goes back in.

A0C6B0C7-078A-40E2-8ECE-4CB841C724F2.jpeg
NICE! Thanks for posting up so others now have options when it comes to filters. Like I said I will probably go this route after this next 30k is up!
Sponsored