Not open for further replies.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Rubihara or Saharacon? In 2005 the TJ had a Rubicon Sahara edition. Talk about confusion. Your discussion of the Moab reminded me of that special edition. :like:
Sponsored

OP
OP

BLLFRG

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Sand, snow, loose dirt = MOAB
Boring Rock Crawling = Rubicon

With the MOAB, you don't have to stop, turn on lockers, just because you're slipping in a wee tiny bit of snow, that's what your BLD is for.
I get it now. Sadly the MOAB isn't offered as a 2 door or manual. Oh well.

Sponsored

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
In any situation with patches of mud/swamp, but otherwise dry/fast trail (so you'd be in 2H or 4H at worst), you'd rather have a mechanical LSD plus automatic transfer case than rely on cooking your brakes with BLD. i.e. Florida like @Patinito, heck the swampy pasture trails in my neck of VA would also benefit more from the LSD than a manually lockable diff that is only accessible in 4L. I'd rather cruise through the swampy patches than get stuck, switch to 4L, lock diffs, etc. every 100 feet.

The suspension/tires/lift on the Moab still offer meaningful improvements over a Sahara in that situation, but you'd have the best-suited rear diff for higher-speed swamp-running.
How many locking diffs have you owned? Just curious.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
I see your point - it is a little weird that it's named Moab. I think maybe it has more to do with the fact that the Easter Jeep Safari is there than what it's off-road ability is??

Also, I think the Rubicon trail is generally more "difficult" as far as rock-crawling than what's at Moab. I've never been to either so I could be completely wrong on that (I'm sure someone will correct me if needed).
Depends on the trail in Moab you're talking about. Much of the stuff in Area BFE is a lot harder than anything on the 'Con especially now that the Little Sluice is closed.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
I see your point - it is a little weird that it's named Moab. I think maybe it has more to do with the fact that the Easter Jeep Safari is there than what it's off-road ability is??

Also, I think the Rubicon trail is generally more "difficult" as far as rock-crawling than what's at Moab. I've never been to either so I could be completely wrong on that (I'm sure someone will correct me if needed).
You’re right, didn’t use my lockers once when in Moab. From Fins’n Things, Top of the World, through Hell’s Revenge, didn’t use them but my sway bar disconnect was a huge a plus.

Here’s my thoughts and these can be thrown away by anyone who disagrees. From bone stock to fully built most Jeeps are more capable than its driver. Be happy with the one you got and use it to your comfort level and know that any Moab is more than capable at Moab or the mall.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Our first snow storm in NC cleaned mine. The mud in our state is like velcro! LOL
Yep, there's still red mud spatter all over the undercarriage. :)

Sponsored

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’re right, didn’t use my lockers once when in Moab. From Fins’n Things, Top of the World, through Hell’s Revenge, didn’t use them but my sway bar disconnect was a huge a plus.

Here’s my thoughts and these can be thrown away by anyone who disagrees. From bone stock to fully built most Jeeps are more capable than its driver. Be happy with the one you got and use it to your comfort level and know that any Moab is more than capable at Moab or the mall.
So you did Hell's Gate, Escalator, Mickey's and the Devil's Highway Hot Tub on open diffs?

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
How many locking diffs have you owned? Just curious.
Just various JDs on the farm (6x4 Gator, mowers, tractors). I definitely prefer trucks with an LSD for traversing the marshy bits (of which there are LOTS on our property); they usually just cruise through with no drama. The Gator won't make it through without locking the diff first, but it understeers like crazy with the diff locked, so you end up having to lock/unlock the diff dozens of times per mile.

Most trucks/SUVs offer a choice between LSD and lockable rear diffs for a reason; they each have their place, even off-road. You're from AZ, so I expect you're biased toward rock crawling, but in many other parts of the country, ease in traversing wetlands or snow is more important.

Last edited:

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just various JDs on the farm (6x4 Gator, mowers, tractors). I definitely prefer trucks with an LSD for traversing the marshy bits (of which there are LOTS on our property); they usually just cruise through with no drama. The Gator won't make it through without locking the diff first, but it understeers like crazy with the diff locked, so you end up having to lock/unlock the diff dozens of times per mile.

Most trucks/SUVs offer a choice between LSD and lockable rear diffs for a reason; they each have their place, even off-road. You're from AZ, so I expect you're biased toward rock crawling, but in many other parts of the country, ease in traversing wetlands or snow is more important.
Lived and wheeled all over....from Virginia to CA (briefly), Montana, Colorado, UT, NM, OK, AR, TX, SD as well as overseas (obviously AZ too). Very familiar with mud/snow as well as understeer from front lockers. Never saw it as much of an issue with selectables...to me, it's not difficult or much of an inconvenience to lock and unlock the front, though the Rubi system is slow compared to an ARB/Zip. In the rear, for the most part with a selectable, it's set it and forget it even on ice/snow.

Do the Sahara and Sport have front LSDs? I thought they were open up front.

**EDIT** Never have once been in a situation where traversing snow or mud (wetlands in AR swamps) was any "easier" with a LSD than a locker.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Does the Sahara and Sport have front LSDs? I thought they were open up front.
Front axle is open, with traction control/BLD. I haven't noticed much slippage with the front wheels. I also haven't done any extreme articulation where a wheel is off the ground (Where a locker would really be handy) so I'm not sure how it would do in that situation. I think with the limited slip in the rear it would still push forward but not as easily as a locked diff.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Front axle is open, with traction control/BLD. I haven't noticed much slippage with the front wheels. I also haven't done any extreme articulation where a wheel is off the ground (Where a locker would really be handy) so I'm not sure how it would do in that situation. I think with the limited slip in the rear it would still push forward but not as easily as a locked diff.

Well if they're open in the front....the whole "I can't steer with the locker on" is kinda a moot point.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.