OP

BLLFRG

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
where is it so much more expensive than a Rubicon exactly ? Yes Moab is loaded, but no more than a typical Rubicon build. Why don't you go troll the other parts of the forum in the Rubicon section if that is your interest
Nah, I think I will go a head and get the answer here. I really am not bashing the MOAB. And base price it is where I am referring to being much more expensive.

I honestly figured those that own it would be able to explain why since they drive it. Jeep has had tons of special editions over the years, but how many are named specifically after trails?

Maybe if it had the 4.10 gears, without the sway bar disconnect, or something like that.... I don't know. Just seems to me that Jeep missed an opportunity here.
Sponsored

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase
Don't get me wrong... I really do like the way they look. I was just sitting here wondering why they are so much more than a Rubicon when they are basically a fully loaded Sahara with some Rubicon add ons. That is what I don't get.
They are actually not more expensive then a rubicon. When I bought my jeep I had every intention on buying a Rubicon but when I arrived at the dealership they had a MOAB Edition on the lot and I had never even seen or heard of one before. In the end I decided to opt for the MOAB because I thought about it and I decided that I did not need certain things that real offroaders need. My jeep is 99% pavement driven and MAYBE 1% off-road. I liked that it came with leather and the rubi hood, steel bumper, shocks, springs, wheels, tires and the upgraded rock rails that the rubi doesn't even bring. The black wheels are even nicer then the Rubi's (IMHO). But the biggest thing was that they are rarer on the road then Rubi's. I see guys all the time with Rubi's sporting 37's and they never even touch dirt. I'd rather not be a poser and get something that would be more practical in my needs. I think that's why other people get them too. To try and answer your question from a MOAB owner.

OP
OP

BLLFRG

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Spend some time reading the MOAB threads and all your questions will be answered. As previously posted...this topic has been beaten to death. Both models have their place depending on the needs/wants of the buyer.
Every model has it's place depending on wants/needs of the driver, I get that.

I have read through a lot of the threads. I still do get the why. Maybe I never will. I can live with that.

XTrooper

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Retired in the mountains of Northeastern PA
Website
xtrooper.net
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL
Occupation
Retired New Jersey State Trooper
Vehicle Showcase
Why? It seems to me that the MOAB is basically a fully loaded Sahara with Rubicon fenders. I just feel that it should be a more capable off road vehicle than the Rubicon if it is going to be named MOAB, right? Not just more capable navigating the treacherous turns of a Starbucks drive through.
You don't have to understand it. You only have to decide whether you want to buy one or not.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
It actually is more capable off-road than a Rubicon in some situations.
In any situation with patches of mud/swamp, but otherwise dry/fast trail (so you'd be in 2H or 4H at worst), you'd rather have a mechanical LSD plus automatic transfer case than rely on cooking your brakes with BLD. i.e. Florida like @Patinito, heck the swampy pasture trails in my neck of VA would also benefit more from the LSD than a manually lockable diff that is only accessible in 4L. I'd rather cruise through the swampy patches than get stuck, switch to 4L, lock diffs, etc. every 100 feet.

The suspension/tires/lift on the Moab still offer meaningful improvements over a Sahara in that situation, but you'd have the best-suited rear diff for higher-speed swamp-running.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BLLFRG

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
They are actually not more expensive then a rubicon. When I bought my jeep I had every intention on buying a Rubicon but when I arrived at the dealership they had a MOAB Edition on the lot and I had never even seen or heard of one before. In the end I decided to opt for the MOAB because I thought about it and I decided that I did not need certain things that real offroaders need. My jeep is 99% pavement driven and MAYBE 1% off-road. I liked that it came with leather and the rubi hood, steel bumper, shocks, springs, wheels, tires and the upgraded rock rails that the rubi doesn't even bring. The black wheels are even nicer then the Rubi's (IMHO). But the biggest thing was that they are rarer on the road then Rubi's. I see guys all the time with Rubi's sporting 37's and they never even touch dirt. I'd rather not be a poser and get something that would be more practical in my needs. I think that's why other people get them too. To try and answer your question from a MOAB owner.
That actually makes more sense than anything else I have read so far. You have very valid points.

I never really thought about the leather seats since I will be in AZ eventually....and leather in AZ can be....dangerous lol.

I think what really set me off of them from the start is the JLU only and 3.45 gears. I feel, if I was going to have to regear from the get go I'd go to the Sport...but they don't have a lot of the feature I do like.

In the end, I want the JL vs the JLU, soft top vs the freedom top (definitely not the color match for me)....it is all personal preference.

Last part is my wife does get a vote....and she has been Rubicon from the start. She really likes everything about it.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Nah, I think I will go a head and get the answer here. I really am not bashing the MOAB. And base price it is where I am referring to being much more expensive.

I honestly figured those that own it would be able to explain why since they drive it. Jeep has had tons of special editions over the years, but how many are named specifically after trails?

Maybe if it had the 4.10 gears, without the sway bar disconnect, or something like that.... I don't know. Just seems to me that Jeep missed an opportunity here.
Biggest two negatives, no manual tranny and no 2 door, not interested but to each their own.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Every model has it's place depending on wants/needs of the driver, I get that.

I have read through a lot of the threads. I still do get the why. Maybe I never will. I can live with that.
It is a fact that a lot of people buy Rubicons just for the looks.

Jeep creates a vehicle with the looks of a Rubicon (I would argue better looking in many colors) and the on-road handling that people will actually use (Selec-Trac). And it is still a beast off-road because it's a Wrangler.

And you don't get that? What don't you get?

Last edited:
OP
OP

BLLFRG

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
In any situation with patches of mud/swamp, but otherwise dry/fast trail (so you'd be in 2H or 4H at worst), you'd rather have a mechanical LSD than rely on cooking your brakes with BLD. i.e. Florida like @Patinito.

The suspension/tires/lift on the Moab still offer meaningful improvements over a Sahara in that situation, but you'd have the best-suited rear diff for higher-speed swamp-running.
THAT makes a lot of sense also! Again, not something I had considered. Probably because of the name (MOAB), my first thought for it was rock crawling capable. Hence the "less capable than a Rubicon" comment in post 1.

Sponsored

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase
That actually makes more sense than anything else I have read so far. You have very valid points.

I never really thought about the leather seats since I will be in AZ eventually....and leather in AZ can be....dangerous lol.

I think what really set me off of them from the start is the JLU only and 3.45 gears. I feel, if I was going to have to regear from the get go I'd go to the Sport...but they don't have a lot of the feature I do like.

In the end, I want the JL vs the JLU, soft top vs the freedom top (definitely not the color match for me)....it is all personal preference.

Last part is my wife does get a vote....and she has been Rubicon from the start. She really likes everything about it.
Thats why they make them in all sizes and flavors. Look at the Gladiator with a whole new mixed bag of models and options. There is a Jeep out there for everyone. I love them all. Cheers. :like:

OP
OP

BLLFRG

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Thats why they make them in all sizes and flavors. Look at the Gladiator with a whole new mixed bag of models and options. There is a Jeep out there for everyone. I love them all. Cheers. :like:

It is hard not to love them all.

I appreciate all the conversation. A lot of valid points made. Truth be told, I'd probably aim at one if it was available in a 2 door and manual. I am not a rock crawling kind of off roader, more of a trail, Baja, dunes sort.

I do like to go fast at times lol

Patinito

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MOAB "Saharacon"
Occupation
SysAdmin
Vehicle Showcase
THAT makes a lot of sense also! Again, not something I had considered. Probably because of the name (MOAB), my first thought for it was rock crawling capable. Hence the "less capable than a Rubicon" comment in post 1.
Rubicon is still the king off roading. Most capable for sure. Until the hellcat jeep comes out...

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I see your point - it is a little weird that it's named Moab. I think maybe it has more to do with the fact that the Easter Jeep Safari is there than what it's off-road ability is??

Also, I think the Rubicon trail is generally more "difficult" as far as rock-crawling than what's at Moab. I've never been to either so I could be completely wrong on that (I'm sure someone will correct me if needed).

OP
OP

BLLFRG

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
I see your point - it is a little weird that it's named Moab. I think maybe it has more to do with the fact that the Easter Jeep Safari is there than what it's off-road ability is??

Also, I think the Rubicon trail is generally more "difficult" as far as rock-crawling than what's at Moab. I've never been to either so I could be completely wrong on that (I'm sure someone will correct me if needed).
Yeah, I really don't know for sure either. I just know from videos I have seen that MOAB has some impressive challenges for sure.

I guess I am used to special editions being something more, and that maybe I expected more based on the name. It's all good though. I thank you all for the discussion. I can see the benefits of the MOAB now more than I did before. Just needed to lift the veil I guess.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.