Maximus 3 Tow Loops

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Same here except I just purchased mine 2 months ago (February 22) and there was no mention of any tow package.

Ryan @Maximus-3 i would suggest that your team provide the cross member as a solo option for all that have previously purchased your “tow hooks” for flat towing. I now see that your site states “NOTE: Tow Bar Adapter-Clevis required in order to attach a tow bar – sold separately” I can assure that this statement was not on the site when I ordered my tow hooks 6 weeks ago.

Please provide a link to this “sold separately” adaptor clevis asap or, better yet supply free of charge to all that have already purchased your “tow hooks” without this adaptor clevis.

Edit - I have a road master tow bar as well so please advise as to a work around for that set up as your “package” appears to be for blue ox systems
The clevis they are talking about is just the adapter from a tow bar to the tow-loops. This is nothing new, and is what I have on my tow bar setup.

Using the product as they are selling is guaranteed to destroy your jeep frame, and will likely cause injury or death to those on the road anywhere near you.

I would not accept a "free" fix of an add on bar personally, as this is not going to repair the damage already caused to my jeep.
Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I have a RoadMaster Tow Bar, doesn't look like that's going to work for me.
I agree, that will not work for the roadmaster setup. The bolt is going to be a different size will also extend the length of the bolt putting more stress on it. I am certainly not an engineer, but it seems like if there is enough force to pull the bars apart, adding the tie in piece to try to eliminate that to the same bolt that holds the Jeep to the tow bar does not seem very smart. I don't know of any other set up like that for flat towing. So, I have cut into my front bumper and paid for the tow loops that have bent and maybe damaged my frame and do not have a fix!

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Gotta be honest: I’m surprised that Maximus hasn’t tried to get ahead of this more.

”We told you to buy our confusing tie rod system [except they didn’t, really] so it’s basically your fault if our product wrecked your frame” is not a response that inspires confidence.
I hear you, but I'm not surprised by their response (or lack of one). They're in a jamb now.

Maximus-3 is a little company with one or more folks with a gift for design. I'm just guessing here, but I doubt those folk are trained and licensed mechanical engineers.

I suspect they probably built their tow loops figuring that a product that was heavier and harder than several of the other successful tow system components would be plenty strong for the job. I'm not a mechanical engineer either, but when I looked at their design I believed it would be strong enough too. The potential lateral/splitting force never occurred to me. Even now I'm surprised that force is sufficient to do the damage we're seeing in these threads because, in theory, if the brake system for the "towed" is paired to the coach and set up properly, the jeep should be braking itself as soon as the coach brakes are applied, so there shouldn't be very much separating/splitting force on the Jeep frame, right?

Regardless, I suspect Maximus sold a bunch of these tow loops before discovering their design defect. After that the tie rod became part of their newly recommended "towing package", but they don't have the size or revenue to manage repairs on hundreds or thousands of Jeeps that have been damaged by their design flaw. Even sending out the tie rod "fix" to all the folks who bought their original tow loops would be expensive. I doubt a company that small can pull off either result, but I'm sure they've had the sense to talk to an attorney, and an attorney would undoubtedly inform them that admitting their defective design is likely to be expensive.

I bought my tow loops from them in 2019. in my case, I ordered the wrong part initially, then contacted them and explained I meant to buy the two loops for flat towing. The customer service guy directed me to these loops. There was no mention of a tie rod. I’m confident it didn’t exist at that time. I assume their product defect must have been discovered in 2020 or 2021, so early purchasers are SOL…

RocknJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Look at my email, as recently as last month they were saying that no additional parts were needed. I suspect you are right and they have lawyered up at this point and have probably been advised not to respond here. Regardless they need to own this mistake and make it right, it will happen one way or another with the amount of us that have bought these and are now aware of the problem.

Sponsored

JKWMD

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon; 2021 JLU Sahara
So, I've yet to get my jeep but have already purchased the Maximus-3 front tow hoops, a Roadmaster tow bar, the adapters to hook up the Roadmaster to the Maximus tow hoops, and also the new tie-rod; if I'm reading this thread correctly, this set-up will not work?

Gaffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ / 2023 Sarah coming in the spring
So, I've yet to get my jeep but have already purchased the Maximus-3 front tow hoops, a Roadmaster tow bar, the adapters to hook up the Roadmaster to the Maximus tow hoops, and also the new tie-rod; if I'm reading this thread correctly, this set-up will not work?
Return the tow loops and get the Rockjock baseplate instead.

Brandonhgt

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
I do not think anyone has actually ran the tow loops with the strut bar. At least not that I have come across yet.

JKWMD

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the Rockjock work well with Roadmaster tow bars and a Warn winch plate?

Last edited:

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

I'm in the exact same place as you - I bought the tow loops before I got the Jeep. Mine's a RoadMaster system also. Sadly, I'm beyond Maximus' published return policy, so I might be boned.

Looking at the instructions posted above, and looking at the RoadMaster bar in my garage, I'm not seeing how the tie rod is going to work. I'm planning a bizzarre winch install for my JL, so I was really hoping for Maximus to come through with a solution, but so far their silence on this matter is troubling.

Sponsored

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

and a Warn winch plate?
I'll know when my Jeep makes it to my garage, I'm starting with the Warn winch plate as well. You and I should probably keep in touch. :)

Edit - above question - Yes.

JKWMD

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is such a shame; I really liked the look of the Maximus-3 front tow hoops. Does anyone have any pictures of the Rockjock front towing plate installed?
Has Maximus really been "crickets" on all this?
Sponsored