Sponsored

Looking For Brake Booster Recommendations

DrJoeSchmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR and a 2015 JK
A while back, I installed the Baer Performance brake kit on the JL, and I do not love the change. Overall, I have better stopping ability, but the feel sucks. It especially sucks offroad. I didn't expect to get the full potential from the kit given the front is six-piston, and the rear is four, BUT I assumed it would be an overall improvement. In comparison, the Dynatrac kit on my JK is terrific, but that uses the same caliper.

I'm at the point where I need to try a bigger brake booster before I call it quits. Does anyone know if the JT booster is pushing more fluid? I'm assuming yes since they have larger brakes for towing. I took a look at my local dealer, and the boosters look different, but the JT one isn't noticeably larger. I like the idea of the JT booster since it should be able to swap over easily.

I'll add that I've also changed to steel braided lines. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
OP
OP
DrJoeSchmoe

DrJoeSchmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR and a 2015 JK
The fluid volume movement is actually determined by the master cylinder piston diameter.

It sounds like the Baer calipers have a larger piston area than the OEM calipers, and the OEM master cylinder doesn't move enough brake fluid.

Here's one fort the JK... not sure if it will fit the JL: https://www.extremeterrain.com/teraflex-brake-master-oversized-4303450.html
I agree. I should have mentioned the master cylinder too. It makes sense to start with a larger master cylinder. It definitely "feels" like there's not enough fluid moving through the system.

jc99

First Name
jc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
A while back, I installed the Baer Performance brake kit on the JL, and I do not love the change. Overall, I have better stopping ability, but the feel sucks. It especially sucks offroad. I didn't expect to get the full potential from the kit given the front is six-piston, and the rear is four, BUT I assumed it would be an overall improvement. In comparison, the Dynatrac kit on my JK is terrific, but that uses the same caliper.

I'm at the point where I need to try a bigger brake booster before I call it quits. Does anyone know if the JT booster is pushing more fluid? I'm assuming yes since they have larger brakes for towing. I took a look at my local dealer, and the boosters look different, but the JT one isn't noticeably larger. I like the idea of the JT booster since it should be able to swap over easily.

I'll add that I've also changed to steel braided lines. Any thoughts?
Ever find a solution? Alternate booster/master?

Sponsored

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
If the master cylinder is not moving enough fluid, then your pedal will go to the floor. That obviously is not the case. The ratio between the master cylinder bore and the brake caliper piston area is one of many variables that you can use to dial in the brake feel.

If you reduce the size of the master cylinder bore, you will increase the pressure in the hydraulic system, which in turn will increase the clamping force at the calipers. This will in turn increase brake pedal travel. Take this too far and you will indeed get to the point where you are not moving enough fluid.

If you like the pedal travel you have now, then you have two options. Find a pad with a higher coefficient of friction or increase the effectiveness of the brake booster. The JT booster might be better, I do not know. Hydroboost is definitely better but will be tricky with the electo-hydraulic steering out JL's have.

Pete

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Bleeding the ABS pump/system may help the pedal feel. It did for mine.
Sponsored