Sponsored

Looking for advice on skid plates

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
I am happy with my metal cloak full belly skid. It has taken abuse very nicely. If I’d purchased aluminum they’d be trashed by now.
Sponsored

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
In the 4xe section.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for advice on skid plates giphy

That whole "reading comprehension" thing is hard for me apparently lol

4xe so 2.0 turbo. Don’t do heavy rock crawling however I do end up going over enough that I just want to protect the bottom side. My biggest nemesis right now seems to be branched poking up and getting caught. Won’t solve that 100% but it’ll help.
IMO, the most important is the engine oil pan/transmission oil pan skid on the JLs. Number of folks out there who make a good enough aluminum kit for the 2.0 for lighter duty - Asfir and M.O.R.E. both have standalone aluminum skids that cover that critical bit. They're 5052 aluminum though, so lighter duty (though also lighter than a full belly system). Asfir is out of Israel and highly regarded, number of folks on the forum running their skid and happy with it. M.O.R.E. is out of Colorado and has been around the Jeep world for a hot minute and has a good enough reputation - I run their steel skids and they went on fine and quality of construction was good during install (haven't had a chance to drag them on anything yet though). I imagine their aluminum skids would be similar.

If you want a full aluminum belly system, Artec is 6061 T6 aluminum and about as strong as you can get in an aluminum skid system. Basically replaces every skid underneath.

IMO, however, the stock stuff will hold up fine against branches and such, I'd just add the lighter duty engine/trans skid and call it good were I in your shoes.

Idmt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly JLURD, now JLUR
I installed Rockhard 4x4 aluminum skids on my 21 JLURD and see they make them for the 4XE also. I was pleased with the installation, as everything fit perfectly, without any modification. I've got some scrapes, a couple fairly hard, without any deformation. I've had to remove some of them for unrelated work, and replaced them with the same fit as when new. (The factory warranty work does not include aftermarket skid removal/installation.) The two heavy crossmembers have not left any signs of movement on the frame in the 30,000 miles since installation. The other Rockhard components I've installed have all fit perfectly, except for a bit of minor grinding to make the front bumper fit. I can't address the shipping costs, as I picked them up at the shop during a planned trip in the area and got a tour of the facility at the same time.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
So real question, why isn't the driveshaft covered? I would think that's vulnerable enough to warrant covering. I'd love to get a skid system but they're hard to find for a 2 door and expensive (in aluminum) when I can find 1 :(
Driveshaft moves downward with the front axle. The driveshaft to trans skid bar clearance is actually a limiting factor in the amount of droop you can achieve.

That said, the stock skid bar definitely has saved my stock driveshaft. This hit bent the bar up about an inch in addition to the dent.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for advice on skid plates 1659531517443

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
Driveshaft moves downward with the front axle. The driveshaft to trans skid bar clearance is actually a limiting factor in the amount of droop you can achieve.

That said, the stock skid bar definitely has saved my stock driveshaft. This hit bent the bar up about an inch in addition to the dent.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for advice on skid plates 1659531517443
Holy crap, glad it saved it then. I figured it was moving but didn't know if they could put a plate there at the bottom end.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Holy crap, glad it saved it then. I figured it was moving but didn't know if they could put a plate there at the bottom end.
There are some diff plates that cover more of the pinion area, Next Venture comes to mind.

Whatever it is, would need to be axle mounted and move with it. For example, from stuff to full droop, my axle moves over 9", with 10"+ being a few parts away.

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
Go metal cloak, they are only a 100 pounds more but the slide over rocks so much better.
This^
Aluminum skids will enable rocks to dig in and drag/grab the skid whereas steel skids let you slide easily. Steel skid plates also don't have the cyclical fatigue of aluminum. The weight savings is not worth it for long term abuse.

Reactions: CsD

Naylia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
IMO, the most important is the engine oil pan/transmission oil pan skid on the JLs. .....
IMO, however, the stock stuff will hold up fine against branches and such, I'd just add the lighter duty engine/trans skid and call it good were I in your shoes.
This is what I plan to add to mine along with a diff cover. The 4xe actually has quite a lot of armor underneath it stock. Folks should crawl under it and poke around before just running out and buying a full kit for $2k+.

installer88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler unlimited, ordered 2021 rubicon 4xe
I can’t say enough good things about the metalcloak undercloak skids. They take a beating and cover a lot.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for advice on skid plates 79669DBA-C2B8-40D8-82FD-3A412C9CB6D8
Jeep Wrangler JL Looking for advice on skid plates 1EC483CA-3205-46D6-873F-18DE5D6B55E5